The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Is your most expensive firearm your favorite firearm?
Yes 16 16.00%
No 83 83.00%
Undecided 1 1.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 1, 2016, 12:17 AM   #26
Guggmeister

it's the least favorite. An AR. Sproing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 1, 2016, 12:33 AM   #27
bamaranger

heirloom

My granddad bought a Winchester M88 -.308, mail order, from Montgomery Wards, in 1956. ( I have the box). He likely did not hunt that rifle more than 5-6 seasons, and turned ill and passed away. But.........he was proud of that rifle. When I was very young, Pap would pull all the chairs away from the dining room table, lay a sheet across the top so the sides draped down, and light a kerosene lantern (in the house mind you). We'd crawl under the table (that was our "tent"). The M88 was propped over in the corner. We were at deer camp.

Before he died, Pap wrote a special note to insure that the M88 came my way. My Dad hunted the rifle for a few years, but it became mine when I was big enough to handle it. I killed my first whitetail with that rifle, 1973-74. It was my only "deer rifle" for over a decade, and I killed about a dozen or so, the last being my longest shot to date. Hunting hard, with long seasons, I became concerned about heavily damaging Pap's rifle in an ATV or treestand episode, and started selectively hunting it, but never took another shot. I eventually became enough of a rifle looney that the old M88 passed into full retirement as I hunted other rifles, or my bow, exclusively.

Last season, while wiping off the guns in the safe, when I got to the M88, I realized I needed to put the old girl back in the field. A modern 6x scope, rezero, and again, some selective hunts. When I young meat buck strolled up to less than 50 yds, he went down cleanly. It was the old rifles first kill l in about 25 years.

Pap hunted it, my dad hunted it, I hunt it, and I expect bamaboy will hunt it.
I did not give one red cent for the rifle, but it is priceless.
Old September 3, 2016, 03:37 AM   #28
b.thomas

My favorite is a eighty year old side by side, 20 gauge shotgun................all the blue in gone to brown and the stock finish has more dents and dings then anything else.
But sure is fun to shoot!
Old September 3, 2016, 04:41 AM   #29
Blindstitch

Favorite shotgun is a Mossberg 500 I have had for almost 20 years.
Most expensive shotgun is a Browning Citori that I have had for 4 months.

Favorite rifle is a 1970's Winchester 94 in 30-30 that was given to me for deer hunting by my grandfather when I was 14.
My most expensive rifle is a handbuilt custom sporter 1899 Remington Lee in 30-40 Krag that my grandfather who was a gunsmith built and gave to me as inheritance before going to live at the VA.
Old September 3, 2016, 12:30 PM   #30
g.willikers

One of my favorites and one that always goes to the range is a no name .38 revolver I picked up at a local show twenty years ago.
It's nothing special at all, just a good shootin' and reliable practice range gun.
While it didn't cost any more than most of my air guns, it has an excellent adjustable sight, an equally excellent trigger and is plenty accurate.
All for $105.
Plenty of folks must have walked right by it all weekend without a glance.
It might have been that fake plastic Python barrel shroud and the mystery metal frame.
Glad they did.
It's proven itself over and over.
Old September 3, 2016, 02:18 PM   #31
jdscholer

I guess this rifle would be one of my most valuable firearms, and has lately been on of my favorites. Remington 40XBR, chambered in 22 Rem BR, with the old Leupold 24X BR scope.

On the other hand, here's another of my favorites that I recently acquired for next to nuthin. I've been having a ball with it, and feel like a happy little boy when I'm shooting it. The money spent, doesn't always relate to the fun ya have. jd

Old September 3, 2016, 03:47 PM   #32
robertsig

No...the price of admission to get a nice AR15 is high, so you gotta spend what you gotta spend to get quality. The cost of entry for other rifles or pistols (even quality ones) can be much lower.
Old September 4, 2016, 05:21 PM   #33
lefteye

I inherited my favorites from my father who inherited them from his father. I hunted with both my father and grandfather. The guns are a Winchester Model 1897 12 gauge with no blueing left but not even one tiny dot of rust, and a Winchester Model 1892 .25-20 in truly excellent condition - no rust and very little evidence on the stock, action, magazine tube or barrel of its actual use. For lack of a better word for my feelings about the rifle - I love it!
Old September 4, 2016, 06:57 PM   #34
Rockrivr1

For me my most recent purchase typically becomes my most favorite firearm. Doesn't matter what it may have cost me. I have expensive guns that were, at one time, my favorite. But that changes as you add new ones to the collection.
Old September 4, 2016, 09:07 PM   #35
tony pasley

My favorites did not cost me a penny but the family history is priceless.
Old September 4, 2016, 10:09 PM   #36
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
Is your most expensive firearm your favorite firearm?
No.
Just saying:
Have a Sig Sauer 202 Supreem Lux w/ 3 barrels. Sporting a special ordered Leupold Vari-X-3_ 3-10 w/ adj front optic. Haven't shot 10 rds thur the Sig. Two of its 3 -barreled set have never cycled a cartridge. Just another safe queen of mine.

Favorite shooter/s:
Early Remington models 700 Mountain (Light Weights) CDL's. Both dressed in Walnut. My 270 Winchester & 25-06 Remington are for deer stand sitting. Both having identical Vari-X-3_ 4-12 power Leupold's mounted.

Last one. _ Plain jane 300 Savage carbine w/ factory open barrel sights. I tote this rifle on my slow walks back in those woods away's from here to there occasionally when I bored with Stand sitting .
Quick to target. Accurate in my hands. Just a sweet heart LUCKY Lever gun that 300 is.

Actually all 3- have Legally bushwhacked allot of MN White Tails over the years. Last count 32 and hoping to bump that number up by one later this Fall.
Old September 4, 2016, 11:24 PM   #37
Chainsaw.

Nope. Ive got a couple of kinda sorta expensive AR builds but My #1 favorite of all in my safe is My Dads old Remington model 510 target master. Single shot .22. You can find the for about $100. This one has a semi custom stock that my Grandfather's armorer friend put on it, put my Pops initials on the stock. I can hit golf balls free standing at 80 yards with that thing all day long. Besides the sentimental value it truly bring the joy of a single shot to life.
Old September 7, 2016, 12:43 PM   #38
jackstrawIII

Most expensive: high end 308 bolt gun
Favorite: CZ P-01
Old September 10, 2016, 12:24 PM   #39
buckweet

No...
My most favorite .22 rifle is my marlin model 795..
My most favorite pistol is my Ruger Mark ll standard. 22 caliber
My most favorite shotgun is an old Remington 1100
My most favorite centerfire is an old marlin 30-30
I could sell all the others and be just fine with these four for the rest of my life.

yer' dawg ate my duck.......
Old September 11, 2016, 01:18 PM   #40
Savage99

My favorite is a DWM mauser sporter I found in a gunshop with a brass shim under it's rear scope base.

The shim was to raise up the base as the screws were too long otherwise.

I had screws the right length! This rifle has a superb custom stock with an octagon barrel. I got a nice buck with it.