The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 20, 2016, 10:29 AM   #26
brotherg

Well, I did not chamfer the cylinders. I do not have the tools to measure one and I can't see one. If they come that way it may be but it is my understanding that is something you do or have done. Am I wrong? Been wrong a few times, have even been mistaken once or twice. I guess I should use and emoji

I do now understand how this will help rather than hurt, putting more lead in the cylinder.

As of this moment My problem was solved by fixing the rammer or I am in denial, more rounds will tell the tale.

I am headed to youtube to search chamfer.
Old February 20, 2016, 10:48 AM   #27
brotherg

Ha, youtube was a bust.

Found this thread and now I am chamfered.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...linder+chamfer

I will look closer and see what I see other than than that I will see if shoots properly from now on.
Old February 20, 2016, 01:10 PM   #28
Hawg

Most nowadays come with lightly chamfered chambers. You have to look for it to see it tho.
Old February 20, 2016, 01:16 PM   #29
Hellgate

The overhang of the edge of the chamber mouths can be created if the face of the cylinder is trued up on a lathe after the chambers are drilled.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)

Last edited by Hellgate; February 20, 2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old February 20, 2016, 10:31 PM   #30
brotherg

Now that I think I know what I am looking for, I believe I have the proper chamfer on my cylinders. Looking under the magnifier I can see that there is a very subtle widening of the the cylinders 1/64 is about right. Looks exactly like my 1858.
Old February 21, 2016, 02:06 PM   #31
Hellgate

BrotherG,
It has been said that Italian C&Bs make gunsmiths of us all. I've gotten to the "advanced tinkerer" stage of my apprenticeship.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old February 28, 2016, 12:20 AM   #32
brotherg

Thanks for all the wisdom. Had a shoot today. Not sure how many rounds but my ball bag got very light. At least 75.

Not a single issue with ball creep. Just loaded and unloaded. Pretty sure it was just a badly cut ram rod.

My 6 year old grand son was the star of the shoot. He fell in love with my savage pump .22. Not sure I have had more fun. I have shot that gun my whole life, pretty sure it was my first shooter, handed down from my Dad. Spent the evening after the shoot giving it more attention than it has had in years. Stripped it down to the last screw and put it in the safe cleaner than it came from what ever store it was purchased, probably Sears.

I love this sport.