The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 19, 2015, 03:37 PM   #1
Mike81

Sauer and Sohn 44mag / Hawes Western Marshall 1873 SAA replica need backstrap

Hello all,

I hope you can help steer me in the right direction concerning replacing the backstrap of my Sauer and Sohn 1873 SAA replica in 44mag.

As i understand it this model was sold under the name Hawes Western Marshall in the US quite some time ago.

I bought mine in sweden and now the backstrap broke, i tried welding it but it didnt work.

In the search for a replacement part i stumbled into some questions.
I first figured i could get a backstrap from any replica manufacturer but then i read somewhere about different size on frame and that this was a large frame.
I dont want to throw money away so i want to be reasonably sure on the part i order.

I found some online stores that has Hawes western marshall parts but the steel backstrap i want is sold out and i am unsure about how the brass will stand up with 44mag loads, or they dont ship internationally.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...tm?results=All
http://www.gun-parts.com/singleactions/

So what i want to ask if any of you can help me with is the following:
1. Is a brass backstrap suitable for 44mag? I read that brass parts is not recommend in black powder replicas when you use hot loads, so i figured i´d ask if any of you have experience with brass backstrap in a 1873 replica shooting 44 mags?
2. Do anyone know if some other manufacturer is compatible? Colt, Uberti, Armi san marco, Ruger etc. And if so which model?
3. If all else fails i figure i can exchange the entire grip, but which ones will fit then? I dont want a smaller grip since i dont think that will be very pleasant to shoot with .

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Mikael
Old September 19, 2015, 09:38 PM   #2
Gunplummer

I also have a .44 Western Marshall. THE GUN PARTS CORPORATION is the only place I know of. My backstrap looks kind of like pot metal. It does not look all that complicated to make by hand. Maybe with a small bandsaw and die grinder? Finish with a file and sandpaper.
Old September 19, 2015, 09:52 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I think those were a zinc alloy (sometimes erroneously called "pot metal"); if anything, good brass should be as strong or stronger. Making one would not be impossible, but with three screw positions to get right, could get a bit tricky. Do you have access to any other SAA type guns (Colts, Rugers, Ubertis) with owners who will let you try the backstraps. But IIRC, that Hawes/Sauer grip is long, you might try a backstrap from a repro of the 1860 Army.

Jim
Old September 20, 2015, 02:30 AM   #4
Mike81

@Gunplummer
Yeah i thought about making one but i currently lack any access to a workshop.
It does seem to be a lower class metal, i just assumed it was harder than brass.

@James K
I actually have access to a 1860 and 1851 from Pietta but those backstraps doesnt match, maybe the 1851 with the trigger guard from one aswell.
I also have testad one this morning from a 1873 replica in 22lr from Arminius. That backstrap fit but i wonder what kind of metal it is, its blued.
I would prefer one in steel but if it as you and Gunplummer says that the original metal is not steel, brass might be the best option for now. And when i get access to a decent workshop i can try my hand at making one.

But then on the other hand, if the Amrinius one fit does that mean its a good chance a backstrap to an Uberti SAA would fit? I will see if i can find out some info on the Arminius one.
Old September 20, 2015, 08:03 AM   #5
g.willikers

How about comparing the original part to the replacement one by using a small file on both.
Somewhere it doesn't matter, of course.
That should tell how alike they are.
Old September 21, 2015, 01:41 PM   #6
WIL TERRY

LAST TIME I LOOKED, the J. P.Sauer&Sohn backstraps ALL had the same screw placement as a Colt or the OM Rugers and could be fitted to ANY of the Sauer SA pistols.
The Ruger OA is the one to seek if you insist on a steel gripframe, blue or Stainless Steel.
And so it goes...
Old September 21, 2015, 07:13 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I would suspect that any part from Arminius is something other than high grade steel (you can check with a magnet for zinc alloy). I would not assume anything about screw placement; for a simple two-piece grip frame and six screws, there seem to be an infinite number of variations, some differing by a couple of hundredths of an inch, some by tenths of an inch.

Jim