The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 9, 2008, 06:29 PM   #1
joshua9578

$100 muzzleloader for hunting?

quick easy question, im assuming , i have a guy who knows a guys who knows a guy , i have the chance to get a triumph muzzleloader for $100. I know nothing about muzzies i have never owned one, but i know this is the only style gun i do not own and i would like to get one for an added season of hunting. it is still in the box never shot and its .50 cal, thats all i know so far. the guy won it at a whitetail dinner and doesnt hunt muzzleloader. i was tellin my friend i would like to get one and figurem out. he said let me see what i can do and this is what he came up with. sound too good to be true? i am going to go look at it this saturday. any bad models, is triumph a good first muzzie, there is no scope on it, just looking for a little help. thanks guys.
Old December 9, 2008, 07:01 PM   #2
thallub

That is a very good muzzleloader. Jump on that deal.
Old December 9, 2008, 07:08 PM   #3
joshua9578

i think i am going to, i guess the one thing that worried me is that it is so cheap. any gun for a hundred bucks gets me thinkin whats the catch . i just had to hear it from someone not involved in the chain of "knows a guy" . thanks.
Old December 9, 2008, 07:12 PM   #4
Doyle

A Triumph for $100 is a steal as long as it's not been abused. Look at the bore - that is where muzzleloaders get abused from lack of proper cleaning. I bought a CVA with a no-name scope off of a member of this forum for something around $100 ( I forget the exact amount). Even though it isn't a high-end rifle, it is still a fine shooting gun and will serve me quite well until I can justify upgrading to something better.
Old December 9, 2008, 07:14 PM   #5
rantingredneck

If you don't buy it I will...........

Seriously, if you pass, pass on the info.....

I bought a barely used CVA Optima with Nikon 4x32 scope recently for 150.00 shipped. I'll take another frontstuffer steal.......

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old December 9, 2008, 08:19 PM   #6
john1911

Jump on it. Those sell for $450-$500 locally.
Old December 9, 2008, 10:23 PM   #7
lon371

There is some bargains out there. If you dont shy away because they are cheap. I just sold a CVA Buckhorn for $75. It was used last season cleaned and put away. I took it in a trade. $75 is all I had in it, so I let it go for that.

A quick check on google says they are a $400 to $500 gun. For $100 I would jump. Good luck.

Lonny
Old December 9, 2008, 10:24 PM   #8
BIGR

Great deal. I would buy them all day long for that price.
Old December 9, 2008, 11:27 PM   #9
Logs

Hopefully he maintained it. Black Powder guns don't hold there value like centerfires. I picked up a Stainless Winchester Black Powder gun with a Nikon 3x9 at a shop for $150. Heck the scope was worth that, I still use it.

GO GET IT.
Old December 10, 2008, 10:05 AM   #10
joshua9578

funny thing you guys should mention CVA's , my buddy also knows someone with a CVA which he is willing to get rid of for around $100. my buddy and i were both kind of sceptical though because neither of us had really heard of CVA , any input? i guess i should have asked you guys that as well, which would you pick out of the two? the only thing is that the guy with the triumph lives closer and it would be an easier transaction of getting ahold of him and so on. im half tempted to drop two hundred bucks, buy both, and pass the savings onto someone else. i dunno what to do , im not getting my hopes up though. we will see after saturday comes around. this chain of guys has fell through on me before, but has also come through. ill just wait and see how the dust settles.

and logs the muzzle was the first thing i was going to look at because i guess it has never been shot , and if it has been shot then who knows what else has been done to the gun, what theyre not telling me, or why they ar getting rid of it ? but like i said we will see.

thanks guys.

Last edited by joshua9578; December 10, 2008 at 10:10 AM.
Old December 10, 2008, 12:36 PM   #11
crowbeaner

I shoot a CVA Staghorn that I paid just over $100 and tax for. It recently put down it's 4th deer with 1 shot. I shot a group at 100 yards last fall that measured 1 1/2 " with 3 shots. I'll buy all I can afford at that price because the darn things shoot if you load them properly. I'm looking for one for my springoff after Christmas; maybe the jolly old elf will put cash in my stocking instead of coal this year. I've been a REALLY good guy this year; maybe he'll leave the loading instructions for anthracite too.
Old December 10, 2008, 12:50 PM   #12
Doyle

CVA earned the name "Causes Violent Accidents" due to a series of breech blow-ups a few years back. Their recent production is quite good. Not as nice or fancy as Triumph or TC but still decent. If you are buying a used one that is over a couple of years old, there are some places on the web that list the serial number ranges for the bad years. As long as it is past that serial number range, you are ok.
Old December 10, 2008, 01:39 PM   #13
rem870hunter

get it,and fast.

CVA means causes violent accidents . did'nt hear that one before. fortunately mine,dads and grandads has'nt blew up. missouri ranger .50 cal. #11 cap type ignition.

what years and models did they have that blow up problem?

ours were made in/about 1987,atleast thats what i gather the first 2 numbers before the serial number on the barrel mean.
Old December 10, 2008, 04:49 PM   #14
Doyle

This is one article I found on the problem. Unfortunately, it doesn't mention the bad years.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/dangerous_muzzleloaders.htm
Old December 10, 2008, 07:54 PM   #15
onthejon55

if that falls through you can always get a CVA for around $150. The triggers arent the best but i went out to make sure it was still sighted in this year and shot twice. The holes were touching at 75yrds.