The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 23, 2013, 05:25 PM   #1
SerenityNetworks

Speaker Announcement - Collin County, TX (just north of Dallas)

Moderators: If this posting is inappropriate, either by content or location then please delete, move, or lock and let me know. I've reviewed the rules and I believe this posting is in order. But I'm not accustomed to starting this type of thread, so please make any needed corrections and educate me if I'm in error.
------------------------------------

I live in Collin County, Texas, where Terry Box is the Sheriff. Collin County is just north of Dallas. Earlier this week he made the announcement that, “Neither I, nor any of my deputies, will participate in the enforcement of laws that violate our precious constitutional rights, including our Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms." He did go on to say that his agency will continue to enforce current gun laws and that if a law concerned him then he would consult with both attorneys and the county’s district attorney’s office for advice. IMHO he's approaching the matter appropriately. It also appears that other Sheriffs from around the country are taking a similar stand. As our only elected law enforcement officers, I believe this is significant. From what I understand, Sheriff Box's office has been inundated with calls from around the country of which almost all are positive. However, in the articles I've seen, all but one of the Dallas area news agencies reporting on the matter, whether as editorials or in the guise of news, have been scathingly negative.

I believe this matter is important to our area as Collin County is 'anti-gun'. For example, my understanding is that the county has made it such that rifle ranges cannot be built within the county and our law enforcement officers must go to ranges outside the county in order to practice. (I have yet to confirm these statements as fact, but the folks that have made the statements are in a position of interest on the matters and I have no reason to disbelieve them.)

Anyway, on the heels of this matter I find that former Arizona Sheriff Richard Mack will be speaking Thursday (January 24, 2013) evening in Lucas, which is in Collin County, on 2nd Amendment Protections for the Individual [right to keep and bear arms relative to federal actions claiming otherwise].

The meeting coordinates are:
Allen Texas Area Patriots January meeting
Thursday - 24th January 2013
Meeting time: 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM CST
Faith Fellowship Church 415 W Lucas Rd Lucas, TX 75002
Meeting time: 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM CST
The location is: http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...=jAQExmV_w&s=1

I just found out about the speaking engagement yesterday evening. I know nothing about the "Allen Texas Area Patriots" that are hosting the engagement. But given this is my county and the issue is HOT, I want to check it out. I'm thinking there may be other TFL members living in this area may also have an interest yet have not heard about the engagement. I wanted to pass along the information.

Regards,
Andrew

PS. Apparently Sheriff Mack has been involved with the issue of gun control for quite awhile. Per the email distribution I received:
1) He wrote a book on "The Magic of Gun Control" addressing the questions: Does gun control reduce crime and thereby make us safer? Does gun control pose any risks to our safety or security? Is gun control lawful and constitutional?
2) He has stood for the individual rights of gun owners in D.C. And he fought (and won) a tenth amendment victory at the US Supreme Court level against the un-constitutional Brady Bill. Case: http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/95-1478.ZC1.html
3) Federal officers informed the sheriffs that they would be required to enforce the “Brady Bill" and run background checks at their expense. So apparently in 1994, Mack challenged the constitutionality of the Brady Bill and ultimately won a monumental Supreme Court decision for freedom: "The Federal Government may neither issue directives requiring the States to address particular problems, nor command the States' officers, or those of their political subdivisions, to administer or enforce a federal regulatory program. It matters not whether policymaking is involved, and no case by case weighing of the burdens or benefits is necessary; such commands are fundamentally incompatible with our constitutional system...
4) Mack is responsible for two NATIONAL CSPOA CONVENTIONS (Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers of America) - A 3-day convention for sheriffs, peace officers and public officials across the nation, to unite all public servants and sheriffs, to keep their word to uphold, defend, protect, preserve, and obey the Constitutions of the United States of America. Reportedly Collin County Sheriff Box attended the September CSPOA convention and had some great things to say about it.
5) For more information on Richard Mack’s background, you may visit: http://sheriffmack.com/index.php