The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 29, 2009, 04:07 PM   #1
chris in va

FL non-res question

As I understand the FL non-resident license rules, you must be a resident of the state you want to carry in.

I live in KY, and have been using my FL license to carry here until the 6 month residency requirement is up and I can get my KY permit.

But if I go across the river to IN, it's not valid there. Correct?
Old March 29, 2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Hkmp5sd

Some states require you to be a resident of Florida before they accept your Florida CCW. That means they do not accept the Florida non-resident CCW. Indiana is not one of those.

Quote:
FLORIDA'S RECIPROCITY STATES
Alabama (1,3,5)
Alaska (1)
Arizona (6)
Arkansas (1)
Colorado (1,4)
Delaware
Georgia (1)
Idaho (3,6)
Indiana (1,3,6)
Kansas (1,4)
Kentucky
Louisiana (1)
Michigan (1,[B]4[B/])
Mississippi (1)
Missouri (1)
Montana (3)
Nevada (1,6)
New Hampshire (1,3,4,6)
New Mexico (1)
North Carolina (1)
North Dakota (3,6)
Ohio (1)
Oklahoma (1)
Pennsylvania (1,6)
South Carolina (1,4,6)
South Dakota (1,3)
Tennessee (1,6)
Texas (1,3,6)
Utah (1,6)
Vermont (2)
Virginia (1,6)
West Virginia (1,4)
Wyoming (1,3)

(1) While Florida's law allows licensees to carry stun guns, knives, and billy clubs in a concealed fashion, the laws in these states allow for concealed carry of handguns or pistols ONLY, NOT WEAPONS IN GENERAL. Florida license holders are prohibited from carrying other types of weapons while in these states.

(2) The State of VERMONT is unique in that it does not issue weapon/firearms licenses. Florida licensees - indeed, licensed or unlicensed citizens from any state - may carry in Vermont. This presents a problem for reciprocity with Florida. Florida law provides that an out-of-state resident must have in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm. Since Vermont residents have no such license, the right to concealed carry cannot be extended to them under Florida law.

(3) Individuals qualify for concealed weapon licenses in these states upon reaching 18 years of age. HOWEVER, any licensee of these reciprocity states who is not 21 years of age or older IS PROHIBITED from carrying a concealed weapon or firearm in Florida.

(4) These states will honor the Florida concealed weapon license ONLY IF the licensee is a resident of the State of Florida.

(5) The Attorney General's Office of the State of ALABAMA has indicated that Alabama will honor BOTH resident and non-resident Florida licenses. However, the Alabama Attorney General notes that there is some uncertainty as to the limits of Alabama's reciprocity law as it pertains to non-resident licenses. Pending clarification by the Alabama Legislature or a decision by an Alabama court, he urges non-resident Florida license holders to exercise caution. Refer to the Alabama AG's Web page for the latest information.

(6) These states issue concealed carry licenses to qualified individuals who are non-residents. These non-resident permits cannot be honored under Florida's reciprocity provision.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/new...led_carry.html

NRA Life Member
Old April 5, 2009, 09:59 AM   #3
Dewhitewolf

My understanding of Indiana's law is that they will recognize any permit from any state.

A Florida license issued to a non-resident is still honored in most of the states that recognize FL licenses. As you can see by the list, Colorado, Kansas, and Michigan are among the exceptions; you must be a resident of Florida to use a FL license there.

Always check with the destination state before you go; laws and reciprocity agreements can change over time.
Old April 5, 2009, 05:05 PM   #4
blume357

S.C. is the same... non resident Florida permits don't work here

my apologies but the folks that make the rules and enforce them are idiots.

But as mentioned, there are a lot of states where it does work.
Old April 5, 2009, 06:44 PM   #5
stonedog406

this is a good link :

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html
Old April 6, 2009, 12:17 PM   #6
chris in va

Thank you, that was extremely helpful. I feel better now. Interesting though, WV doesn't allow the FL non-res. I'll have to open carry there or something when I go through the state.