The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 11, 2009, 11:20 PM   #26
Sarge

Quote:
Any and all ammo. I was thinking of replacing the firingpin with a edbrown steel and a ed brown extrapower spring for starters and then going outwardly from there... Id call them, but it will only boil down to them saying bring it in, and pay us to fix it. I want to do it my self, so i can learn my pistol and others like it better.
Good for you, Mordis. I don't buy guns to ship them back & forth across the country, either. Regardless of who's paying, you're still out a gun. As noted here, Manufacturers are sometimes not candid regarding 'what' they fixed.

Regardless, there is no shame in wanting to learn as much as you can about this fine design. This might provide a little insight regarding what you may find, snorkeling around inside the current crop of 1911's. also, get yourself a copy of Jerry Khunhausen's Volume One of "The Colt 45 Automatic: A Shop Manual". It'll provide you with about everything you need to know, all without a single snarky comment.

As noted above, Springfield deviates from the USGI firing pin in order to make the gun marketable in states with drop tests. What I find inside them is a lightweight 38 Super pin with a really strong spring. This arrangement serves Springfield's purpose.

It also requires a lot harder blow to fire the pistol, which means a stronger mainspring must be used. This translates to more impact to the firing pin & stop plate. Springfield typically uses an undersized firing pin stop- among other sorry small parts. If your pin was on the short side of the spec to begin with, the head has been peened a and your stop plate has lots of play, it just may be a buildup of tolerances which are coming together to cause your problem.

Hope you get your problem sorted out.
Old April 12, 2009, 03:37 PM   #27
mordis

Tuttle8, there is no need for the attitude. I have every intention of sending it to them, but for future referece, if it ever happens again, i wish to know as much about it and how to fix it my self. Yes, i did read a lot of stuff on the net, and much of it is lamenting the light primer strikes incured with using the titanium pins. I did not mean to start arguing, i am simply trying to learn as much as possible here, and only way to do that is to ask. I do not know why you took offence to me asking about making them more reliable.. I feel that is a honest question.

Ill have to look into that shop manual. Does it mention series 70 and 80 parts as well?? I plan on calling them tommorow, and sending it out as soon as possible.

My appologies if i came off as arguing, that was not my intent. I just dont understand much about this gun. I hope we can all continue on into the future with good will and no angst for all lol.
Old April 12, 2009, 09:21 PM   #28
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Tuttle8, there is no need for the attitude. I have every intention of sending it to them, but for future referece, if it ever happens again, i wish to know as much about it and how to fix it my self. Yes, i did read a lot of stuff on the net, and much of it is lamenting the light primer strikes incured with using the titanium pins. I did not mean to start arguing, i am simply trying to learn as much as possible here, and only way to do that is to ask. I do not know why you took offence to me asking about making them more reliable.. I feel that is a honest question.
Ill have to look into that shop manual. Does it mention series 70 and 80 parts as well?? I plan on calling them tommorow, and sending it out as soon as possible.
My appologies if i came off as arguing, that was not my intent. I just dont understand much about this gun. I hope we can all continue on into the future with good will and no angst for all lol.
Um, OK. I'm guessing you missed the smiley emoticon. But my point is it isn't really worth being influenced based on internet jargon. My other point is this issue of yours has been brought to light three weeks ago. If you would have just called SA then, you'd more than likely would have your gun back already. The issue would have been resolved. But hey, it's your gun, not mine. I'm not trying to cop an attitude. You asked questions, I gave answers.

Good luck on your repairs and future upgrades...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old April 12, 2009, 09:36 PM   #29
Wildalaska

Quote:
I love it when someone asks a question, then chooses to argue with the folks who take the time to thoughtfully respond.
Thats because he isnt getting the answer he wants

WildigothroughthatalllthetimeAlaska TM
Old April 13, 2009, 11:45 AM   #30
mordis

Just called SA today, there sending me in the mail the RA sticker for Fed EX. Ill be sending it out as soon as it gets here. Ill keep you updated on the story.

PS sorry for procrasitinating.. apparently it angers people lol.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:24 AM   #31
Nathan

So did they fix it?
Old May 19, 2013, 10:35 AM   #32
Spats McGee
Staff

Given that the last post in this thread was over four years ago, let's hope so.

Closed.