The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 7, 2008, 11:37 PM   #1
ericbc7

Tikka T3 Hunter better scope mounts?

I recently bought a Tikka t3 Scheels hunter in 30-06 stainless. I used the factory mounts and an older Nikon 4-12 scope. I shot several sub 1" groups at 100yds with factory ammo (best was Hornady Light mag 180 gr interlock at 7/16 3 shot - on sale at Mills Fleet Farm $25.00). I was looking forward to several sessions of trying different factory loads and did much of my shooting at 200 yds. I found I had to adjust the scope the last 3 times I've been out. I kept notes and at my latest outing (this morning) I fired three shots nearly 6 inches left and 3 inches down with a cold barrel @ 200 yds. I fired several more groups with varying results. I finally adjusted 2 clicks right and put 3 shots in 1.5 inches and on bullseye at 200yds. At the end I paid special attention to eye relief and fired with my eye close to the scope (almost too close). the nikon scope has an objective focus set at 200 yds. I thought that focusing the objective eliminated paralex or are the factory mounts to blame?

I would appreciate your help- Eric
Old October 8, 2008, 11:47 AM   #2
R.Childs

Can't entirely tell by your post, so please clarify. You sighted it in with one brand of ammo, now you are trying other brands and your point of impact has changed. Is this right?

If so, that may be the reason for the change in impact. Rifles commonly will shoot different bullet/powder/primer combinations to different points of impact. As a reloader I see it quite often.

If it's shooting one brand to different points of impact, then you may have a rifle/scope/mount problem.
Old October 8, 2008, 11:54 PM   #3
hoghunting

I use the factory rings on my T3 in 300 WSM, and have fired over 500 rounds with no movement or adjustment with the scope. Some others seem to have problems with the factory rings, but replacing them with Talleys is very easy.