The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 24, 2000, 02:48 PM   #1
Marshal

Mrs. Marshal and I have been reading everything we can get our hands on about reloading, and we just procured a Dillon RL550 reloader. We'd like to get started this weekend. I will be reloading for .45 ACP, and I've found a ton of sources and information about that. However, we do not feel very confident about information on .40 S&W. After reading most of the archived posts on this forum, I noted somewhere back a ways that someone said not to use cast lead bullets in .40. I think it was in connection with Titegroup powder. Should we use jacketed or plated instead? I also saw a reference to Bull-X bullets being inconsistent in weight. Is that still the case? A trusted and experienced friend recommended them along with Laser Cast. Thanks.
Old October 24, 2000, 08:03 PM   #2
HankL

First, Let me welcome you here. You ask quite a few questions in your very first post to be answered in an open forum. You seem very confident on loading for your 45ACP and have purchased quite a starter set to begin with. Why not venture in that direction and see where you get to the point that you would like to ask a specific question? I would ask others here to add input as to you and your's jumping into the reloading room as beginners at the same time.
Enjoy but be safe. Why not put your email addy up and more folks can respond to your questions in a direct manner. There are a BUNCH of great people here!
Hank

------------------
"The harshest tyranny is that which is under the protection of legality and the banner of justice." Montesquieu
Old October 24, 2000, 08:07 PM   #3
karlfitt

The warning about cast bullets in a .40 is for glock owners.
Glocks tend to KB (Ka Boom) if you reload for them, the .40's are the most prone to this, loading lead makes the problem even worse.

Karl