The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 10, 2001, 07:53 PM   #1
up-down

Ideal choke for rifled slugs and/or buck shot?

I was wondering what might be viewed as or experienced to be the ideal choke for rifled slugs. Also what choke would be ideal for buck shot?
Old August 10, 2001, 09:31 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Remington seems to believe the Improved Cylinder is best. All their new Police guns are IC choked, "For improved pellet accountability".
Old August 11, 2001, 11:46 PM   #3
MiniZ

If you need to get a compromise on the best for both, then your best bet is probably IC.
Old August 12, 2001, 07:11 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

This is where individual differences come into play. In a given shotgun with a given load, the best performance may be with any constriction, but usually the best is Modified or more open. Modified,IMO,is borderline. Some Modified chokes work fine, others are definitely too much.

More open chokes start at Cylinder, go to Skeet I, Improved Cylinder next, then Light Modified (AKA Skeet II),then Modified, using increments of about .005 each step.

IMO, you may want to start with Cylinder, Skeet I,or IC, and try them at the distances you expect shot opportunities.
Old August 13, 2001, 10:44 PM   #5
Arizona Fusilier

Whoa, now here's where I 'fess up! I thought Cylinder Bore was the only acceptable choke for slugs. Or does it "depends"? Please elaborate, with some specific examples of guns, ammo, etc. Thanks!
Old August 14, 2001, 06:13 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

AF, the two tightest slug groups I ever saw were cloverleafs,fired from a FULL Choke 16 ga Model 97 at 100 yards.

This is not an exact science. Two shotguns with consecutive serial numbers and otherwise identical may "Like" different ammo.

Open chokes TEND to perform better with slugs, that's up to Modified as I stated.

My two slug shooters are no choked and with a rifled tube. Prior to the rifled tube, I used an IC tube with good results. Previous slug guns went up to Modified.

The only way to find what slug works best for you is for you to take a bunch of those 5 packs and the shotgun to the range and bench it. There's old threads here for more details...