The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 21, 2013, 01:37 PM   #1
Valornor

98Bravo or MRAD

I'm stuck trying to decide between these two rifles. I know there's lots of rifles out there chambered in .338lm but I am kind of a Barrett Fan boy. The fifty is too expensive for my taste and I don't want to spend $$ on new a press and trimmer. I do a lot of elr shooting with my 308 but feel I've kind reached a wall in terms of getting consultant hits beyond 800 yards. Does anyone have experience with either of these rifles? Is the MRAD any better in terms of accuracy or feel then the 98b? Or are they pretty equal?
Old October 21, 2013, 02:47 PM   #2
allaroundhunter

98Bravo or MRAD

I have put about 40-50 rounds through each and I prefer the MRAD. It just feels better to me when shooting it.

That said, you are going from shooting at 800 yards to a rifle that doesn't come into its own until 1700 yards. In my opinion, you should consider something a little less and work your way up. The .338 LM really does not cost that much less than the .50 to shoot, and you can buy a .50 caliber rifle for the same price as the MRAD. Something like a .300 Win Mag will outperform the .308 without hurting a wallet like a .50 or .338 LM.
Old October 21, 2013, 03:11 PM   #3
Valornor

One of the benefits of the MRAD is the barrel swap. So if I wanted to switch to .300 win mag I could....and technically it's not a new rifle it's just an expensive accessory so I can kind of get around my wife six gun rule....

338lm is expensive, all around. Then again it's probably the last rifle I'll be buying so, the money I might use to buy another gun is going into reloading and bullet swaging dies.