The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 24, 2012, 10:43 AM   #26
FM12

A 686 S&W. It's like a short bbl rifle!
Old September 25, 2012, 05:16 PM   #27
FLChinook

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. Some of the comments have been very thorough and were helpful to myself as I'm sure they were to other readers.

I've narrowed my choice down to a S&W 66 (P&R) and a Colt King Cobra; both in 4" barrel. Both are classics; both look beautiful; and I would expect both to work very well. I believe the Colt is slightly heavier (L frame?). The S&W would probably feel more familiar to those used to that make.

Can anyone add any last thoughts as to why one might be preferable to the other?

Thanks again...

PS. To those suggesting other makes/models; there is a plethora of great guns in this class and at some point I just have to chose and more forward
Old September 25, 2012, 05:51 PM   #28
skidder

For the price of a Python you could have 3 to 4 Security Six models (different barrel lengths) or a Dan Wesson pistol-pack or a GP/SP combination. I would rather have my HD, SD, Range, Carry/hiking and hunting covered for the same price. I say this because I recently spent $1000 for 3 Security Six revolvers. I'll take "quality and quantity" over just "quality" any day.
Just a little tid-bit from your thrifty neighborhood skidder.

but.... If I just wanted ONE.... I would go with the Dan Wesson Pistol Pack. Quality, and it's still considered just ONE.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder

Last edited by skidder; September 25, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old September 25, 2012, 06:16 PM   #29
FLChinook

OK. I know everyone has great ideas about different solutions to my question. But for now, please assume the only two guns available in the entire world are a S&W 66 P&R and a Colt King Cobra... Which will it be...

"If you were ship wrecked on a desert island and there were only two guns in a box and you could only take one on the crude raft you had fashioned..."
Old September 25, 2012, 06:36 PM   #30
Deaf Smith

Any of these will do!

While I have others that blued Security Six above is my 'light' field gun (a SRH .454 is my HEAVY field gun!)

But a good Security SIx, GP-100, 686 S&W will all do. Even the N frames Smiths if you can get one.

But I use the Security Six and I reload 158gr SWC at 1000 fps for most use.

Deaf
Old September 25, 2012, 08:10 PM   #31
orionengnr

Quote:
Can anyone add any last thoughts as to why one might be preferable to the other?
Yes. Go back and re-read the first paragraph of post #7.
Old September 25, 2012, 08:40 PM   #32
smokin54

I have owned a good number of 357s , bought , sold and traded . right now my bedside gun is a S&W 66-1 , For stout and Accuracy I would put my Freedom arms up against Any 357 ever made.
A few years back a freind sold 3 Rugers to buy his first Freedom arms , When i asked him later how he liked it he said " I wish i had 3 more Rugers I could sell so i could get another one"
Old September 25, 2012, 08:59 PM   #33
savit260

Quote:
The Colt's a nickel model - neither the Diamondback nor Python were ever offered in stainless as far as I know
Pythons sure were offered in stainless. Here's my 4" "Ultimate Stainless"

Old September 25, 2012, 09:16 PM   #34
Winchester_73

Here are my 357 revolvers. Mostly S&W. I had a Colt Python, but I sold it because its not what people say or at least, I guess I always get the Pythons that aren't supernatural

S&W 27-2 3.5 from the mid 70s

Ruger 3 screw blackhawk from 1968

My favorite multipurpose - S&W model 66 from 1974 - P&R with original SS rear sight. The model 66 is everything you need and nothing that you don't.

A few I sold

Colt Python 1969

Colt Trooper MKIII 1970

Old September 25, 2012, 11:52 PM   #35
FLChinook

Hey Winchester_73,

I'm looking at a 66 identical to yours except the grips completely encase the handle except for the top back strap and and wood curves around to meet the trigger guard. I suppose they had different grip options or perhaps the grips changed slightly with the year... ?
Old September 26, 2012, 01:06 AM   #36
Redhawk5.5+P+

OP, take a time out and retreat. The right gun will fall in your lap, so look up my friend, look up!
Old September 26, 2012, 06:55 AM   #37
bull bob

As to the "Holy Grail" of 357s, the Python is up there, but too common. The "Holy Grail" would have to be an original S&W Registered Magnum, with box and registration papers of course. But then I wouldn't take that to the range, much.
Anyways, between the S&W 66 and the King Cobra, get the snake. Unless you plan to shoot the daylights out of it. I have fired only one King Cobra, years ago, but when the Pythons are all in museums the KCs will be their successors. I believe the actions are almost as smooth, but not quite as delicate as a Python. The Dan Wesson is a good suggestion also, especially in a complete pistol pac. It all depends on which flavor you like best, I usually prefer something just to be a little different.
Old September 26, 2012, 10:45 AM   #38
Winchester_73

Quote:
As to the "Holy Grail" of 357s, the Python is up there, but too common. The "Holy Grail" would have to be an original S&W Registered Magnum
Ya I meant to say that earlier. The RM is certainly the holy grail for being the first 357, it was a total custom gun, rare, valuable, collectible, sought after, as well being a cut above the rest as far as quality. The reason why people say "Python is the holy grail" is because thats what they know. A RM is in a different collector class and between their rarity and value, most people don't get to own one or shoot "uncle billy's" RM whereas Uncle Billy may have 2 Pythons. I myself am hopeful to own a RM someday.

Quote:
Anyways, between the S&W 66 and the King Cobra, get the snake. Unless you plan to shoot the daylights out of it. I have fired only one King Cobra, years ago, but when the Pythons are all in museums the KCs will be their successors. I believe the actions are almost as smooth, but not quite as delicate as a Python.
The King Cobra will cost more, but offer little to no advantage. If you get one for a good price ($600 or below) thats one thing, but thats hard to do. I've never owned one and I've never really found an affordable KC. The 66 is smaller and lighter and more useful. You had mentioned that the gun will be carried. Also keep in mind that the KC was a duty gun, more or less like a Colt Trooper in SS which competed with the 686. The Python was more of a deluxe revolver, like a S&W 27.

Quote:
I'm looking at a 66 identical to yours except the grips completely encase the handle except for the top back strap and and wood curves around to meet the trigger guard.
The grips on mine, which show the entire grip frame are known as "magnas" and the grips you speak of are often called "target" grips but occasionally called "presentation" although realy presentation grips are completely smooth and not often seen. You could have had the gun with either type. I prefer the magnas, but some people like target grips better.
Old September 26, 2012, 10:54 AM   #39
FLChinook

Oh man, just when the vote is starting to tilt towards the 66, another vote for the KC comes in...

The Python may be the holy grail but it's too expensive for me to justify as a range/carry gun; ditto anything with "papers"...

Current prices currently available to me (for a like new gun) are circa $800 for a 66 P&R and circa $1200-1300 for a KC... just in case the price should influence the vote. I'm not too concerned about that price delta if the KC is felt to be a better shooting classic
Old September 26, 2012, 11:11 AM   #40
Winchester_73

Quote:
The Python may be the holy grail but it's too expensive for me to justify as a range/carry gun; ditto anything with "papers"...
Its not the holy grail. I explained why.

Quote:
Oh man, just when the vote is starting to tilt towards the 66, another vote for the KC comes in...
As I said, for general use, its heavier and bigger. Its not of better quality, and doesn't do anything the smaller handier 66 can't do. The 66 is also cheaper in general.

Quote:
Current prices currently available to me (for a like new gun) are circa $800 for a 66 P&R and circa $1200-1300 for a KC... just in case the price should influence the vote. I'm not too concerned about that price delta if the KC is felt to be a better shooting classic
Thats way too much for either. Shop around more. A nice 66 can be had for $500 and a King Cobra for under $800.
Old September 26, 2012, 11:25 AM   #41
Scorch

Quote:
My first choice was between a GP100 and 686; leaning toward the GP. Then, I decided to go for an older, out of production gun, looking for something special. I was about to settle on a Security Six SS when I started looking at the Colt Python
GP100 all the way.

The Ruger is an excellent gun. It is a total redesign of assembly, locking, and manufacturing. The 686 is a good gun, sturdy, accurate, etc, but is an updated 75 year old design, a good design with good metallurgy, but still an older design. The Python you mentioned is an updated 100 year old design, parts are hard to come by since it is out of production, and in general it is not a very rugged design when compared to the other two.
Old September 26, 2012, 12:34 PM   #42
FLChinook

Quote:
Thats way too much for either. Shop around more. A nice 66 can be had for $500 and a King Cobra for under $800.
I agree; I can find 66's for closer to $500 but $800 gets one practically unused and since I'm only getting one and not two or three, the delta seems reasonable to me. Should I be able to find a "like new" one for $500?
Old September 26, 2012, 01:40 PM   #43
Magnum Wheel Man

another to muddy the waters...

back when I was going to buy only one revolver & borrow what I needed from my FIL... I bought a 4" stainless GP-100... & I still stand by that decission even though I made it almost 20 years ago...

but if you want something fancier or different, but want a stainless gun, & this is something you plan to shoot alot ( & why not )

look at a polished stainless Ruger Montado in 357... they are very popular with the CAS croud, & for good reason... the gun is really as nice as any being produced today, it's solid, & the polished finish is more user friendly ( if you get any of the bead blasted or satin finish stainless guns, & get a nick, or holster wear blemish, it's nearly impossible to remove that & match the factory finish... if you have a polished stainless Ruger, a little polish compound, & the gun will look like new )... the single action trigger is smooth, & with a little practice, you can shoot everybit as fast as with a do8uble action trigger ( just watch some of those CAS guys shoot ) I started playing that game, & while a newbie, my shooting speed has increased alot over my double action regular practice