The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 2, 2009, 10:37 AM   #1
tpcollins

Primer seating issues - auto or by hand?

I picked up the RCBS hand priming tool and had numerous issues with it (broke the large rifle plunger trying to fix it) and had to use the small primer for my first 20 cartidges. All primer pockets were prepped with the RCBS uniformer tool. I tried using the primer mechanism that's on the Rockchucker press but couldn't get it to seat consistantly deep enough. I thought about getting the RCBS Auto Prime Feed tube but they can't be used with the Rockchucker Supreme. Maybe my hand primer will work better when the large primer plunger arrives. Just wonder what most people use to install their large rifle primers?
Old March 2, 2009, 10:43 AM   #2
brickeyee

RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool
http://www.midwayusa.com/Eproductpag...eitemid=457599
Old March 2, 2009, 11:06 AM   #3
rwilson452

Priming tool

Lee Auto Prime part number 90230
Old March 2, 2009, 12:45 PM   #4
PCJim

I do not load a lot of rifle cases that use large primer cases. When I do reload them, they are reloaded on a single stage press. Priming is performed using an RCBS ram primer that is used on top of the press.
Old March 2, 2009, 01:40 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

It sounds like you got your hands on a lot of mal-formed primers.

I have never had problems with a press-mounted priming arm. (RCBS and Redding)
My RCBS hand prime is a poorly engineered tool, but I have never had problems seating deeply enough. There is enough travel in the plunger to partially crush the primers.

What brand of shell holders are you using?
I have had issues (not with primers) with Lee brand shell holders when combined with other brands of dies; or simply not being able to use them in the RCBS hand prime. Lee shell holders have looser tolerances than most brands, and may be letting the case move too far.
Old March 2, 2009, 02:08 PM   #6
Tim R

I've been using the Lee hand priming tool for almost 25 years. In this period of time I've bought 3 and still using 2. I only load 50 primers at a time which make it a little easier to handle. I won't say Lee makes a better hand priming tool than RCBS because they don't and never will.
Old March 2, 2009, 02:14 PM   #7
wncchester

"All primer pockets were prepped with the RCBS uniformer tool. I tried using the primer mechanism that's on the Rockchucker press but couldn't get it to seat consistantly deep enough."

I suspect that your pockets are NOT prepped properly, especially if you are using GI brass that had crimped pockets. The fact that you can't get the primers to fully seat with the tremendous leverage of the press suggests that. If you can't get them to bottom with a press you sure won't get them to do so with a hand-held unit, of any make!
Old March 3, 2009, 06:36 PM   #8
tpcollins

"I suspect that your pockets are NOT prepped properly"

I really think it was because my hand primer wasn't concentric and I was usuing the small plunger - broke large plunger trying to straighten it up.

I don't see how I could NOT prep properly. Some people may not even use a uniformer at all, just seat into the standard pocket. My uniformer only carves out the bottom outside radius of the pocket. I could see a new "scrape" of brass at the bottom and nearing the flash hole. How could I have done this improperly? Thanks.
Old March 3, 2009, 06:43 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

Quote:
broke large plunger trying to straighten it up.
How, in the name of all that is holy, did you bend the plunger?
If you were trying to seat primers... you need to walk away and reassess the situation.
Old March 3, 2009, 06:52 PM   #10
ShootingNut

Lee Safety Prime

Priming without any major problems, is a snap with the Lee system.
That said, I have only primed/loaded pistol ammo, no rifle.
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata.../primtool.html
Old March 3, 2009, 07:21 PM   #11
btefft

I often use the RCBS hand primer and have had no problems.

But I also swage any military (crimped primer pockets) or they will give me fits.

I have a Dillon 600 swager and before priming, I run all military and any "suspect" cases through it - it makes a world of difference.

I'm even thinking about simply running all my cases through it.

Hack
Old March 3, 2009, 07:48 PM   #12
Ron

I've tried several different ways of priming cases, and the best so far is the lee hand held auto prime. I think if you look closely at your primer pockets they might be crimped, if so swagging might be an option to look into.
Old March 3, 2009, 09:25 PM   #13
amamnn

If you're into this hobby seriously and want to get THE primer seater that works this is it:

http://www.precisionreloading.com/KMProducts.htm
Old March 3, 2009, 09:30 PM   #14
tpcollins

Frakenmauser - The original large rifle plug in my RCBS Hand Primer was off center. So I stuck the little installation wrench over the plug and tried to nudge it in the opposite direction in hopes of bending it straight - SNAP - I busted it off. I took it apart and luckily was able to remove the broken off threaded section. All I had left was the small primer plunger so I installed that one and it was still off center. It stayed off centered so I only primed 20 cases. I rotated them several times each to ensure the primers were seated evenly and deep enough.

I called RCBS and they're sending me a new large plunger. In the mean time since my original thread, I disassembled the hand primer to check to see if the primer rod was out of round but it was perfect. But when I reassembled the unit, everything wound up in perfect alignment and the small plug is dead center of the opening now - go figure. I just hope it stays that way when I install my new large plug.
Old March 3, 2009, 10:05 PM   #15
MrSardonicus

I use the Lee hand held, have for years. I use it for both rifle and pistol priming. I can't say it is the best primer in the world, but that's only because I have never used anything else. I have never even wanted to.
Old March 3, 2009, 10:14 PM   #16
PCJim

tp, I have a RCBS hand primer tool and it does not require a wrench to assemble/disassemble. Not sure what kind of primer tool you are referring to, unless it is for those new fangled APS primer strips.
Old March 3, 2009, 11:04 PM   #17
Inspector3711

I have the Hornady hand priming tool and love it. It's built to last. When I use my progressive I prime on the press... Single stage I use the Hornady.
Old March 4, 2009, 01:38 AM   #18
FrankenMauser

Quote:
But when I reassembled the unit, everything wound up in perfect alignment and the small plug is dead center of the opening now - go figure. I just hope it stays that way when I install my new large plug.
I know what you're saying, and understand now.

I think the reason for it being off-center was your shell holder / primer guide alignment. ('Primer guide' being my descriptor for the black 2-part piece the shell holder goes over for large primers, and white for small.)
I had the same problem with mine. I have to carefully tweak how far the assembly (holder and guide) is pressed into the handle, each time I put it together.

Like I said... It's a poorly engineered tool. I actually prefer the Lee Auto Prime (older versions that had better metal), but own the RCBS Hand Prime. It gets the job done, but leaves you wishing it worked better. One of these days; I'll upgrade to the RCBS Universal Hand Prime or the Hornady tool.
Old March 4, 2009, 02:43 AM   #19
hardhit

I have posted before on the rcbs hand prime tool, they are a very good company with great products but I think this particular product is made to a price and you get good one’s and not so good, my tool had a number of issues one of which,
It would not seat primers deeply enough especially if you uniform primer pockets.

So to solve the problem I picked out the anvil of an old primer flattened it with a hammer then lightly taped it into the cup of the plunger gluing it in place with quick grip. It worked very well after that & I could feel the primer contact the bottom of the pocket when seating.
Old March 4, 2009, 04:48 PM   #20
James R. Burke

I use the RCBS bench mounted that takes the aps strips. You can use a set screw to seat at the same spot everytime or you can do it by feel. I do it by feel. The CCI aps strips can be loaded with any make of primer you want. Works great for me, and never had a problem.
Old March 5, 2009, 02:08 PM   #21
btefft

Hardhit, cool fix. Let me get this right.

You glued the used anvil into the concave area on the thing (is this the plunger?) that the primer seater pin goes into.

I had been getting some light strikes, 2nd strike fires the reload, and I may soon be trying your mod. I figured it was dirty primer pockets, but your mod can't hurt.

Hack
Old March 5, 2009, 11:09 PM   #22
impactco

My favorite as well!

RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool

http://www.midwayusa.com/Eproductpag...eitemid=457599
Old March 6, 2009, 07:20 AM   #23
hardhit

Quote:
You glued the used anvil into the concave area on the thing is this the plunger?
Yeah btefft if that what it called it sits on top of the spring I used the round end of the primer pin to very lightly tap the anvil into the concave shape then glue.