The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 2, 2011, 11:02 AM   #1
rem1858

Ruger Old Army owners, help me decide...

Now that I have a Rem 1858 and a Colt Walker, just need one more and will be done(yah, right)

Looking to purchase a ROA, blued, target sights and long barrel.
Any difference between the 70's to newer production guns ?
What would a 95% + gun go for with box and papers ?

I have had many a Ruger revolver and rifles in the past and presently still have my Super Redhawk and 10/22.

Always believed that Ruger had the best metallurgy in their pistols to take the heavy pounding that I am sure you and I have put them through over the years.

So is a ROA worth getting for the right price, what ever that is ?

ROA owners, give me your critique of this pistol.

Clarence
Distinguished Revolver Badge #99
Old January 2, 2011, 11:09 AM   #2
mehavey

I've had one (stainless) since `82-`83 or so.
It is a heavy-duty engineering marvel.
Old January 2, 2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

to get one

Lurk in the shadows of Gunbroker and Auction Arms. You will pay 400 to 500. Occassionally they go for higher prices but there is no reason to pay more because eventually you will find what you want.

There are thirty of them for sale on the Gunbroker right now and any long barrel with an opening price higher than about 425.00 does not have any bids. There are several upon which the bid is now right at 300.00. The short barrel pistols command a higher price. I don't persoally like them buit that is just a personal preference. CAS folks seem to like them.

mehavey is right. It is a fine pistol. I have owned two and there is real quality to be found in them. I personally would opt for a stainless steel job because in my opinion, the finish stands up better to shooting than than the blued finish.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; January 2, 2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old January 2, 2011, 11:43 AM   #4
Wyosmith

I got one back in 1975. It was blued, which is all they made in 75
I used it for many years. It shot as well as any 1911 45 auto I ever had, which is to say it shot VERY well.
I used the Lee 456-2201R bullet in it and at 25 yards it could keep all 6 shots in the X ring
Excellent revolver!

The only downside is that it's a modern gun. If you want historical authenticity, you'd have to look at something else, but for a cap and ball revolver that is the best you can get, the Ruger doesn't even have competition.
Old January 2, 2011, 12:13 PM   #5
sewerman

great non- period correct B.P. revolver.

i have seem them with prices from $275.00 blued to over $600 S.S.

i would check out some small guns shops that don't do a large B.P. business or some pawn shops. the $275.00 tag was found in a small shop locally & great shape too.LNIB!
the local pawn shop here with over 15K guns on the floor were selling them very cheap $249.00 + about a year or so ago but i guess someone in management reviewed the exorbitnate prices on G.B. and adjusted the prices.

ROA are great firearms....good luck

S.M.

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!
Old January 2, 2011, 12:21 PM   #6
breed

i had a stainless steel one back in the early 90's. out standing shooter. but it had some pitting on it when i got it. and even more when i sold it. I've seen a few other stainless ones that had the same problem. so be sure to look the gun over well.
Old January 2, 2011, 12:28 PM   #7
zippy13

My ROA (stainless) is a tack driver compared to my Pietta Remington replica (also stainless). However, the Remington design has easier cylinder removal. The factory ROA adj sights are fine for ball target loads, but try hotter loads, and you'll be shooting high. You'll want to lower the rear and/or raise the front sight.

As far as Ruger having the best metallurgy, I suspect their reputation is the result of their success with cast parts. Ruger guns are designed from the get-go to use precision cast parts. Other gun makers frequently get into trouble trying to substitute parts originally designed to be machined with MIMed ones.
Old January 2, 2011, 09:10 PM   #8
rem1858

Well, here it is

ser# puts it at 1978
Just got off the phone with the seller.

Should have it soon.

Clarence
Distinguished Revolver Badge #99

Last edited by rem1858; January 4, 2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old January 2, 2011, 10:33 PM   #9
zippy13

Congratulations!
May it serve you faithfully for many years.
Old January 3, 2011, 03:33 AM   #10
arcticap

That Ruger looks great and is a good deal.
In 1985, Ruger went from having an aluminum grip frame to introducing a steel grip frame for the Old Army blue models.
The aluminum grip frames tend to lose their finish and get scratched up more easily.
Old January 3, 2011, 09:39 AM   #11
Rifleman1776

No longer made. Great investment and great shooting enjoyment.
I sold mine for $400.00 with a good holster and bullet moulds. It was snapped up quicker than I could blink.
BTW, in case you are wondering why, due to a shoulder injury I can no longer shoot pistols, especially one handed style. Sad day to sell it.
Old January 3, 2011, 10:01 AM   #12
McPhee

Hey Rifleman1776

I just got a video of a guy without arms laying on the hood of his car shooting an autoloader with his toes. And even reloads with his toes. I guess it can be done if you want to practice long enough.

Interesting video. If anyone wants a copy, send me your email in a private message and I will send it to you.

It may be on YouTube. I don't know. I live in the sticks and my Internet connection is too slow to watch streaming video.