The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 13, 2008, 09:24 AM   #1
mkg

Thinking about IDPA

Hello all, I'm primarily a long gun guy but have been thinking about IDPA. That being said I know very little about the equipment involved , so I have a couple of questions.

1) Would a Ruger P95 be ok to start IDPA with ?

2) Can you recommmend a holster that would be appropriate for both concealed carry and IDPA ? I know there is no "ONE" perfect holster but just to get started.

Thanks gang,

Mike
Old October 13, 2008, 09:32 AM   #2
Jim Watson

1. Ruger P95 is ok. You need 3 magazines.

2. IDPA requires a strong side holster, no crossdraw, shoulder, or back rigs. I do not know just what is available for the Ruger, look around. Avoid nylon fabric.
Old October 13, 2008, 09:45 AM   #3
mkg

Thanks Jim !

I have two mags I can pick up another.

Would Kydex / polymer be preferable to leather ?

Mike
Old October 13, 2008, 10:08 AM   #4
rduckwor

"
I have two mags I can pick up another.

Would Kydex / polymer be preferable to leather ?

Mike"

Either would work fine as long as you can get a smooth draw from it. There are rules regarding holster approval, but typically in local matches, you shoot with whatcha brung. Many prefer Kydex for speed, but they are noisier than leather. For starters, speed is not going to be an issue for you. Learning the rules, using cover, and reloading, not to mention, hitting the "0" zone are areas to focus your attention on. Just go do it., Great people, and the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Have a great time, shoot straight, and be safe.

RMD
Old October 13, 2008, 10:31 AM   #5
mkg

RMD, My primary interest in IDPA is to have fun so I'm not worried about being the fastest on the range .
I also thought it would be a good way to become more proficient with my carry weapon. You can never practice too much. That being said, I would like to use my carry holster for IDPA . Since the kydex / polymer holsters are noisy they probabally aren't the best for ccw.

Mike
Old October 13, 2008, 11:24 AM   #6
Wagonman

Are duty rigs allowed in IDPA? I would like to practice like I work.
Old October 13, 2008, 11:48 AM   #7
mkg

Wagonman , This info is from the IDPA web site . I did not see anything relate to service / duty rigs. But I'm sure there is a more detailed set of restrictions .

IDPA matches typically require the use of a service type pistol or revolver of 9mm/.38 special or lager caliber. If your handgun is suitable for self-defense use, it will probably be competitive for IDPA matches. Practical concealed carry type holsters are stipulated for IDPA use. A common service pistol or revolver such as a Beretta 92F, Glock 17/22, Sig 226, Colt 1911A1, S&W 686 or Ruger GP-100 carried in a common pancake style holster is all that is needed to be competitive in IDPA matches.

http://www.idpa.com/dps_info.asp

Mike
Old October 13, 2008, 02:52 PM   #8
RickB

You can wear your duty rig, as long as you wear the entire rig, and use all the snaps, buttons, straps, etc. that you would on duty. Some detectives have tried to argue that a concealable holster that's not legal for IDPA competition is their "duty" rig, because that's what they wear on duty, but it's supposed to be confined to what's used for uniform wear; that is, you are working at a disadvantage by wearing it, rather than an advantage.
Old October 15, 2008, 11:24 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

more "mature"

.......and there is also USPSA........
Old October 15, 2008, 12:04 PM   #10
mkg

WESHOOT2, I looked at USPSA also but the range I use is dominated by IDPA , USPSA matches are not held there .

The IDPA matches are open to non-club members so occationally you do get the RAMBO types.

Mike
Old October 15, 2008, 06:29 PM   #11
GoSlash27

mkg,
Just do it!
So long as it's mounted behind your 6-9 line on your strong side, nobody's going to complain about your rig. I use Uncle Mike's IWB holsters for my stuff. While they're a PITA to reholster, they are what I carry with and the draw is great.

You've already got the right idea; the whole point of the exercise is to get better at using what you carry. Put together some gear you'd use for concealed carry and use that.
Old October 15, 2008, 09:49 PM   #12
Wagonman

Ok, so if I use entire duty rig I can compete. When we qual and train we have to wear body armor, is there a rule that speaks to that?
Old October 15, 2008, 09:59 PM   #13
mkg

GoSlash27, Thanks !

"You've already got the right idea; the whole point of the exercise is to get better at using what you carry."

That was the plan besides having some fun.

Mike

BTW Your tag line is very appropriate.

Last edited by mkg; October 16, 2008 at 06:57 AM.
Old October 16, 2008, 03:31 PM   #14
NRAhab

Mkg, the best advice I have is don't be afraid to ask questions. In terms of gear, what everyone has said is correct - you'll need at least three mags, although I'd recommend have 5 or 6 in case one goes down in the midst of a match.

But most importantly, ask questions. IDPA has some kind of hinky rules, such as tactical sequence vs. tactical priority, and the approved reloads, etc. If you ever have questions about a stage, ask the RO first - don't be afraid to ask questions about the shooting procedure for a stage.
Old October 18, 2008, 08:54 AM   #15
9mm1033

At my IDPA matches I've noticed more kydex holsters, but several leather gear set ups. Those guys use and shoot what they carry and don't seem to be locked into the competition of the gunsport. So, I think you'd be happy with "your" normal conceal carry setup. Many shooters choose to become accustomed to their gear and shoot the stages for the enjoyment. Had I not started in USPSA with the "plastic" gear, I'd probably switch to leather using a smaller concealable auto.
Old October 18, 2008, 09:39 PM   #16
GoSlash27

wagonman,
Normally IDPA mandates a cover garment that blocks the view of your gear from the front when your arms are outstretched. We tend to ignore that rule for exercises at my club and only specify it for scenarios.
Basically, you dress like you dress on the street when you're carrying, not like you're going to a shooting competition.
I've never had that question pop up at our club. Your best bet is to ask the SO at your local club about it.