The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 3, 1999, 10:03 PM   #1
orsogato

Hi all,

I am looking at two scopes to top an m700 in .30-06.

The 1st is the Zeiss Diavari C U.S.A series 3-9x36mm

The 2nd is the Swarovski 3-9x36 Plex

The Zeiss is about 55 bucks less than the Swarovski. But that $55 is pretty much irrelevant I want to know what scope you all think is better.

I was also looking at the Leupold 3.5-10x40mm Vari-X III.

Any suggestions. The objective is to finally make my hunting rig complete for the rest of my life. This rifle will handle all my Hunting Situations in North America. (So it will handle all my hunting situations)

I want to get it right w/ quality but, I'd like to keep it under $650 bucks or so.

Thanks for input.
Old November 4, 1999, 03:36 AM   #2
Woody

All three scopes you mentioned are very good
top of the line scopes. All three should last
you the rest of your life and probably well
into your childrens lives as well.

For clarity there is very little difference
between the three. If I had to judge I'd say
the Swarovski is slightly clearer.

For myself I prefer the Leupolds not because
they are any better but because they are
American made or claim to be. What is really
made totally in America anymore.

Woody
Old November 4, 1999, 05:21 PM   #3
orsogato

Woody,

Thanks for input. I agree w/ you on the Made in U.S.A deal. I am very undecided about which of these three scopes I want to opt for. All three manufacturers name's have great reputations among shooters. The Leupold is a lot of scope for the $$. In terms of quality all three are probably neck and neck.

Both the Swarovski and the Zeiss that I am looking at are made in the U.S.A. (That is why the $$ is under a grand). So I think Americans are employed making these particular scopes.

Like you said all three are excellent scopes. I just want to do this right. I dont want a piece of junk that will fog up on me at the worst time possible, or lose its cross hair setting at the slightest bump or bang to the scope.
Old November 4, 1999, 08:56 PM   #4
EQUALIZER

Hope the Zeiss scopes are better quality than their glasses. I bought a pair of THE most expensive glasses (plain vision, not binoculars), in town because they looked good and I have a hard time picking out new glasses. With the "Zeiss" name, I though they must be THE best. They fell apart in one week...factory defect at the braze on the junction of the nosepeice. Took me 6 months to get a replacement from my optometry place who ordered from the factory. Second pair lasted couple more weeks. Same problem. Too much of a hassel so they got filed in the circular bin under "J" for junk.

No more Zeiss for me. Just a friendly warning....although the rest of their line might be fine.????

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)
Old November 5, 1999, 03:39 AM   #5
oberkommando

Equalizer I hope their mech stabilized binoculars are decent look at the price.

Buy a Steiner.

I have all leupolds but all I have heard of the others are excellent, especially the Zeiss in the Photographic lens department check out price of a RollieFlex or Hasselblad, makes shooting look cheap.
Old November 7, 1999, 11:51 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I traded into a like-new Leupold Vari-X II 3x9 in 1971 or so; still use it; still clear and all that. About 4,000 rounds of '06 gone under it...