The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 25, 2012, 12:54 AM   #26
warningshot

Federal Red Box .380acp FMJs are stout. In the olden days you used to be able to buy .380, (9X17) euro FMJs that were great. I'd stay away from any economical .380 now days unless you could shoot a 'lot' or 'batch' sample. Then be ready to buy the entire case if any good. For .380 SD work...it would be hard to beat Golden Sabre or Critical Defense.

The best cure for .380 over-penetration is to hit you target, center mass if you please.
Old August 29, 2012, 01:48 PM   #27
Tingden

Has the American Rifleman September 2012 article: Handgun Stopping Power altered anyone's position on SD use of any or all the 13 tested .380 ACP SD cartridges, i.e. Buffalo Bore, Federal, Hornady, Remington, Speer and Winchester? Cylinder & Slide recently completed custom work on my S&W 2011 manufacture Walther PPK/S .380 ACP so I need to identify dependable and accurate FMJ and/or JHP cartridges. Prior to the article I had narrowed the cartridge field to BB 100gr Hardcast +P and Hornady 90gr Critical Defense both of which I remain inclined to use for SD.
Old September 1, 2012, 10:02 PM   #28
michael t

I carry Corbon DPX in my Bersa ,and all my other 380's I also use it in 45acp

I would never mix loads in any of my SD pistols.
Old September 8, 2012, 08:50 PM   #29
shurshot

Hollowpoint or full patch (hardball), either one is fine, but both depend upon proper shot placement. Head, heart or spine and a .22 LR is lethal. Shot placement. Practice. Wild Bill used a .36 cap and ball Colt.
Old September 8, 2012, 11:28 PM   #30
scrubcedar

Shurshot hit the nail on the head. What`s most accurate and allows for the quickest follow up shots in your particular pistol? Especially with a .380 WHERE you hit is MUCH more important than which round you use! Is there a particular ammo while they're shooting it it's obvious that they could effortlessly empty the entire mag into the x ring? That should be the goal.
Old September 9, 2012, 07:27 PM   #31
orionengnr

Quote:
No reputable trainer recommends alternating rounds. It's an old debate that sounds fun on the Internet.
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner.

Using alternating rounds shows a lack of faith in the caliber. If you do not have faith in the caliber, why carry it at all?

This is only an issue in "marginal" rounds such as .32, .380 and (occasionally) 9x18.

Yes, I do own a .380 (LCP). I carry it a few days each year, and it is loaded with DPX. I should probably just sell it, and avoid the temptation of carrying it those few days. My PM9 is only a bit larger, and I shoot it better. Again, I only carry the PM9 a few days per year...

YMMV.
Old September 9, 2012, 07:36 PM   #32
Glenn E. Meyer

My PM9 wouldn't run, so I went back to retro old 642 J frame but with CT laser.
Old September 10, 2012, 02:29 AM   #33
Redhawk5.5+P+

IMHO I wouldn't worry one way or the other, but I do like the every other concept.

My HD SD gun (CZ75B) has 6-7 9mm GDHP 124g +Ps fallowed by 7-8 Fiocchi 115g +P+ FMJ NATO cross circles, so I believe in mix and match.
Old September 10, 2012, 09:33 AM   #34
CCCLVII

I have never tried the buffalo bore +P loads in 380 but I have used the standard pressure ones. They are still hot but should not damage the gun.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:43 PM   #35
Quincunx

Does this alternating-ammo-types debate ever come up in revolver discussions?
Old September 13, 2012, 06:45 AM   #36
seeker_two

Quin: Yes, it does.....esp. in Taurus Judge discussions where shotshells & .45C rounds apply. But revolver function doesn't rely on ammo type as much as autopistol function does.

IMHO, if you don't trust HP ammo to do the job, don't use it in the first place.....same for FMJ loads.....