The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 22, 2011, 12:01 AM   #1
BlackFeather

Who is responsible?

So, I don't want to put this in a specific situation, as it's irrelevant.

Main point of the question, if you are wrestling over a gun that someone planned on shooting you with, and it fires and hits someone. Who would be held responsible?

And

If you practice disarms, and are caught in the middle of one when the gun goes off, should it be your fault for attempting to do it?

This has been on my mind recently, and I just wanted someone elses thoughts on it.

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old December 22, 2011, 12:07 AM   #2
MTT TL

Generally, someone in the commission of a felony takes responsibility and liability for crimes and torts committed in the act of that felony. So if someone attacks you, you defend yourself, and then someone is killed while you are defending yourself; the person who attacked you is generally responsible.

Specifically I do not know the specifics of the circumstances you are wondering about so I can't say.

I think this is more a question for legal than T&T.
Old December 22, 2011, 12:17 AM   #3
Mr. James

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat

Last edited by Mr. James; December 22, 2011 at 12:19 AM. Reason: I do hope I realize what OP meant.
Old December 22, 2011, 12:33 AM   #4
Buzzcook

Happened to a friend of mine. He got three years for manslaughter.

The guy that got shot was the one that was trying to shoot him.

He did learn a lot about animal husbandry working on the honor farm. Even got some ribbons for his pigs at the county fair.

Not a fair trade really, but it was something.
Old December 22, 2011, 01:13 AM   #5
farmerboy

Buzzcook I'd like to hear the real story behind that! (all of it)
Old December 22, 2011, 01:43 AM   #6
BlackFeather

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTT TL
I think this is more a question for legal than T&T.
I wasn't sure where to put it. I figure the aspect of self defense and wondering whether or not one should consider wrestling for a gun if one doesn't know how, or at all.

Old December 22, 2011, 06:43 AM   #7
PADefenseTrainer

I'm afraid I agree with Farmerboy Buzzcook. There has to be more to that story.

But to answer the original question, my guess is whomever owns the gun.

If a guy tries to rob you with a gun and the two of you end up wrestling over it, the original robber is at fault.

But if instead you shoot the robber with your own gun and the bullet passes through him and hits someone else. I would think you would be responsible.

".. a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." - Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

Last edited by PADefenseTrainer; December 22, 2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old December 22, 2011, 07:20 AM   #8
wayneinFL

In criminal law:

In Florida, if you commit a felony, and in the commission of that felony, someone gets killed, it's felony murder. For example, you rob a liquor store and kill a bystander by accident, you're guilty of felony murder. You rob a liquor store and your accomplice gets shot by the clerk, you're guilty of felony murder.

So, if someone committed aggravated assault and the victim defended himself, the felon would be responsible for anyone who was shot. Of course, all the facts have to come out and a jury has to interpret the law and the situation.

In civil law:

Then you really open up a can of worms. You can sue just about anybody for just about anything. Who's responsible? Depends on the jury.
Old December 22, 2011, 09:21 AM   #9
MTT TL

That is why it depends.

In civil law forget it. Common strategy today is to sue everyone even remotely involved in hopes of getting lucky in court.
Old December 22, 2011, 10:01 AM   #10
compglock17

Quote:
Common strategy today is to sue everyone even remotely involved in hopes of getting lucky in court.
A very frustrated +1 to that. These judges need to stop allowing these nonsense cases to move forward.
Old December 22, 2011, 02:17 PM   #11
Buzzcook

farmerboy: A burglar broke into my friends house. The burglar had a gun. My friend surprised the burglar. In the ensuing struggle the burglar got shot.

My friend died ten years ago so I can't ask him for more details, sorry.
Old December 22, 2011, 02:26 PM   #12
Skadoosh

One would hope that the aggressor of the initial attack would be held responsible. But one never knows what the outcome will be with the justice system these days.
Old December 22, 2011, 02:28 PM   #13
BlackFeather

Thanks gentlemen.

Old December 23, 2011, 11:45 AM   #14
MLeake

The problem with judges allowing everybody remotely related to be sued is that when everybody is responsible, nobody is responsible.

Individuals never seem to be responsible for things that happen to themselves. Why should they feel any responsibility, when they may be able to get somebody else to pay?
Old December 23, 2011, 12:04 PM   #15
farmerboy

WayneinFl is correct but have seen some cases that surely aint fair for whatever reason. Buzzcook sorry to hear of your friends loss
Old December 23, 2011, 12:20 PM   #16
Hook686

In a California CCW class I attend a case study is used. Essentially a guy carrying a handgun with one in the pipe goes into a bar. Some other guy takes issue with this guy and assaults him. The guy with the gun, in defending himself, draws it and wacks the assauter across the head. The gun dischages and kills a little old lady walking down the opposite side of the street from the bar. The guy with the gun was charged with murder.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old December 23, 2011, 12:27 PM   #17
MLeake

Hook686, re: your case study -

He was charged. But, was he indicted? Convicted? What was the outcome?

And if convicted, was it appealed? Case law is determined at the appellate level, I believe, not at the trial court level; and definitely not at the charging level.
Old December 23, 2011, 06:21 PM   #18
hermannr

Hej Buzzcook! I see you are in WA. In WA if you shoot burgler you are fine. Home invasion is a felony that you can counter by any and whatever means are available. It has been my understanding that this has pretty much always been this way....and I have lived in WA since 1970. (and I was over 21 when I got here)

Was your firiend in WA? or BC? If he was in BC, I understand, WA I don't understand...elsewhere? well, depends on where elsewhere is, variations in state law being what they are.
Old December 23, 2011, 07:12 PM   #19
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFeather
...I don't want to put this in a specific situation, as it's irrelevant....
Actually, it's not irrelevant at all. In fact, it could make all the difference.

First, where something might happen is important because the outcome will depend on the applicable law where the event takes place. Second, exactly what happened and exactly how it happened, and how the law applies, will decide the outcome.

So in your case of an innocent bystander getting shot by accident as a result of the "good guy's" attempt to disarm a "bad guy", the bad guy could certainly be held responsible. But depending on exactly what happened and how it happened, and depending on the applicable law, it's not inconceivable that a jury would also find the good guy liable for civil damages if the jury concludes that he was unreasonable in attempting the disarm.

This is one of the kinds of questions where "the devil is in the details." Depending on exactly what those details are, the outcome can range from the injury to the bystander being considered a sad but unavoidable accident to it being considered the result of an act of extreme recklessness on the part of the good guy for which he could be held criminally and/or civilly responsible -- or something in between.
Old December 23, 2011, 09:13 PM   #20
44 AMP
Staff

The general principle is (and should be) that the perpetrator of the crime is responsible for everything that happens as a result of the crime. This would include innocent bystanders getting shot and killed by you defending yourself.

However, as mentioned, this applies to criminal penalties, and civil penalties, are something else.

And, juries can, and sometimes do find fault where none should be found.

As to struggling with the gun, and it goes off....well, if the legal principle is followed, then the criminal is responsible, even if it is your gun. However, a jury might be more focused on who's finger was on the trigger, and why, when it went off. And it would be the criminal's defense teams responsibility to focus them that way, if it was your finger on the trigger.

As already mentioned, the devil is in the details, and it is those details, the specifics of the situation and the applicable law, and the jury's understanding of them that will determine the outcome in court.
Old December 23, 2011, 11:25 PM   #21
Hook686

Today, 11:27 AM #17

MLeake wrote:

Quote:
Hook686, re: your case study -

He was charged. But, was he indicted? Convicted? What was the outcome?

And if convicted, was it appealed? Case law is determined at the appellate level, I believe, not at the trial court level; and definitely not at the charging level.

http://law.justia.com/cases/californ...2d/167/39.html

Quote:
The information charged defendant in two counts, the first alleging assault with a deadly weapon upon one Wallis, a felony, in violation of section 245, Penal Code; and the second, the murder of one Lela Glenn, as defined in section 187. Acquitting him on the first count, the jury on the second count found defendant guilty of manslaughter, a lesser but necessarily included offense in that of murder.
note: Wallis was the guy that assaulted defendant with a knife, who was subsequently hit across the head by defendant with his gun.

Quote:
A careful examination of the record convinces us that there exists no inconsistency in the verdicts, the evidence is sufficient to support the conviction of manslaughter and the jury was justified in returning such a verdict.

For the foregoing reasons the judgment and order denying motion for new trial are and each is affirmed.

White, P. J., and Fourt, J., concurred.

Even without all the legal trappings, I think this is a very costly undertaking, and one cetainly to be avoided if at all possible. However here it seems to me that Wallis initiated the assault with a knife, yet the defendant was found guilty of the resulting death, even though he was merely defending himself from a lethal assault. Be careful out there.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.

Last edited by Hook686; December 23, 2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old December 24, 2011, 12:08 AM   #22
MLeake

Thanks for the link, Hook686.

I'm not a lawyer, but as I read the decision, it seemed to me the appellate court had focused on, and by suggestion so had the trial court, the fact that the defendant was not licensed to carry the weapon, and that the act of bringing a loaded gun into a tavern was unlawful and careless on his part.

It also read like his using a loaded gun as a bludgeon in a crowded enviroment met their standard for negligence.

I wonder if he'd have been better off using the gun as a gun, and shooting the guy with the knife...
Old December 24, 2011, 12:13 AM   #23
Frank Ettin
Staff

And just for a little general legal background:

[1] An information is a charge filed by the District Attorney. It's not always necessary, depending on state law, to seek an indictment from a grand jury. An information works just as well.

[2] A conviction of manslaughter indicates that the jury didn't find that the defendant acted with malice (evil) intent, but it is a finding of criminal culpability. A verdict of manslaughter is common if the jury finds that the defendant acted impulsively in the heat of the moment or acted recklessly.

[3] It appears that in the case Hook686 called to our attention that the jury verdict was appealed and that the verdict was upheld by the court of appeals.

[4] Note that legal expenses through a jury trial can easily run from $50,000 to $150,000, or even more. And an appeal doesn't come cheap either.
Old December 24, 2011, 01:25 AM   #24
Buzzcook

hermannr: Seattle.
Old December 24, 2011, 01:09 PM   #25
hermannr

Buzz....Seattle, well nothing surprises me in Seattle (I live in Okanogan county which might as well be a different country), but still, state law is such that a home invasion may be met by any means available (including deadly force) RCW 9A.16,050(2) (current version since 1975) (BTW: Home invasion is a felony)

And...as the other guy had the weapon...this also applies

RCW 9.41.270(3)(c) (c) Any person acting for the purpose of protecting himself or herself against the use of presently threatened unlawful force by another, or for the purpose of protecting another against the use of such unlawful force by a third person

As your friend is dead, "I guess we will never know the rest of the story"?