The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 8, 2011, 09:09 AM   #26
mehavey

Quote:
I noticed that 1 out of 10 pieces of brass will not wind up with the shoulder bumped back as far as the others....
After several firings (in my own M1A), I see the same thing. Since I use a headspace gauge to do a quick look at cases after sizing, I'll occasionally see cases as much a 0.002" off what my target dimension is. Those I'll run back into the sizer and "bounce" against the top (case backed off a 1/4" and then bumped back fully up into the die) to fix.

I attribute this to different brass "spring" as the shoulder fire-hardens. Were I to be keeping these cases past the nominal 4-5 reloadings (for an M1A), I'd anneal and move on.
Old April 8, 2011, 02:57 PM   #27
F. Guffey

We can talk it to death, memory, recovery, spring back or 'jump back'? If the case is whipping the press and is 'tuffer' than the press someone should consider the case has resistance to being sized, could be acquired resistance to being sized, it could be caused by the vain reloader trying to get 50 firings out of a case? I do not know, It does not get better than using new cases, after that it is up-hill.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; April 8, 2011 at 03:26 PM.