The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Jbotto

.30/06 from .270 brass~~ My bad!

I have a good few .270 cases around and just for the fun of it, could I run them through the '06 dies and make .30 caliber cases out of them? Just curious. Don't know about the the neck being too thin or anything else.

-An inquiring mind.

*Edit, fixed title to actually represent the nature of the question.

Last edited by Jbotto; February 10, 2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old February 9, 2012, 07:59 PM   #2
SL1

You would need a tapered expander to get the necks up to .308" from .277" diameter, which, with shipping, would probably cost as much as a few new .30-'06 cases.

And, the expanded cases would be a little too long, so you would need to trim them, too.

If you decide to do it, be sure to lubricate the inside of the case necks before you expand them.

And, you might want to anneal the necks, too. That way they will last longer.

SL1
Old February 9, 2012, 08:02 PM   #3
dunerjeff

.30-06 down to .270 yes. Not worth forming a popular case as a 30-06,plus that would give you the wrong headstamp.
Old February 9, 2012, 09:57 PM   #4
Jbotto

Alrighty! Thanks guys for the response! More or less just curious is all!

Thanks!
Old February 9, 2012, 11:11 PM   #5
Scharfschuetzer

I have a huge stock of LC 30/06 brass and I form 8mm and 7.65 Mauser cases from them, although that is probably a bit easier than 270 cases. Were I to do so, I'd definately go with SL1's suggestion and get a forming die from RCBS for the operation and then I would use a seperate neck expander to get the inside diamater up to .275 or so.

If you proceed, you'll probably also want a ball micrometer to measure the neck thickness after the sizing operation. If found to be too thick, common in neck reduction, it could jam up in the neck of the throat of your rifle and cause high pressure spikes on firing or hopefully it would not chamber.

If found to be too thick (check a schematic or a factory case) you can neck turn it down to proper dimensions. You'll probably also need to trim or square the neck lip after forming too. Not hard on a case trimmer, but again, more time spent on the project.

I also think that the shoulder is farther forward on the 270 than the Ought Six, so that will take a trick or two to get your Ought Six shoulder moved forward for your first fire forming loads.

A lot of work? Yes, but that's some of the fun of reloading. At any rate, there is a lot of good 270 brass available and that should negate your need, unless like me, you've got Ought 6 brass to spare.
NRA Police Distinguished Expert

Last edited by Scharfschuetzer; February 9, 2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old February 10, 2012, 01:11 AM   #6
Jbotto

Wow, sorry guys realized that my post Title was dyslexic. I actually meant getting .30-06 cases MADE FROM .270. I think my first post was ok, if a little fuzzy, but the title was misleading... My apologies.
Old February 10, 2012, 01:19 AM   #7
Scharfschuetzer

No issues!

270 to 30/06 is easy, although I'd start with a 7mm (.284") expander and then perhaps to .30 calibre. Use lots of lube and then trim and square the case neck. The final sizing operation should push the 270 shoulder down to where it needs to be for proper headspace. A final bevel and you'll have 30/06 cases.
Old February 11, 2012, 06:37 AM   #8
Mike / Tx

I understand your thought process. I have gone both ways with LC cases over the years since I had a seemingly lifetime supply of them.

I pulled out a hundred or so which have been necked down to .270, .280 and back up to '06 simply due to playing around with a few different loads.

The use of intermediate sizers is VERY useful and doesn't seem to stress the cases as much. In all my playing around I sized to fit the chambers on my rifles, and never worried about annealing the necks, but I did check the OAL and trim when necessary. The thickness was never an issue in my factory chambered rifles, or in my 03A3's, YMMV.

The loads I used while playing around were also never really above the mid range of the data for the specific bullet weights I used, and powders were on the slow end of the spectrum. Basically just burning up some partial boxes of bullets and powders I didn't really have a load for, or found I wasn't that interested in after the fact. When done I simply recycled the cases back to '06 and used them for hog hunting where I knew I wasn't going to need a top end load and chances of recovery of the cases is usually impossible in the junk we hunt them in. Probably still have a box or two sitting on the shelf waiting their turn to be used up.

All in all I had a good time of it, but if doing it specifically for target, true game hunting, or anywhere near top end loads, I would simply use the standard cases, and be done with it.
Old February 11, 2012, 06:49 AM   #9
Tim R

SL1 and Scharfschuetzer along with Tex are correct. You Can do it but......
Old February 11, 2012, 12:25 PM   #10
Jbotto

Thanks guys for replies! This topic is interesting to me, don't know if I'll ever get to try it, but this information will be filed away for later reference. Much appreciative, Thanks!
Old February 12, 2012, 12:49 AM   #11
Clark

I have shot 270s with necked down 30-06 lots of times and it works.
I am just shooting SAAMI sloppy chambers.
Someone with a no turn neck chamber could have problems.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old February 12, 2012, 10:58 PM   #12
Scharfschuetzer

Bingo Clark. You are spot on.

Just as an aside, at one time I had a 358 Winchester. Brass was impossible to find, but my RCBS die set had a two step expander ball and made short work of turning my Lake City 7.62 brass into nice 358 brass. Wish I still had that rifle as it was about as good as it got for shooting cast bullets.