The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 3, 2011, 08:22 PM   #1
tws92E05

Anyone use game calls for hogs??

Last year I bought a Foxpro game call and used it here in Texas. It worked great calling in all types of predatory animals. My favorite was watching owls and a couple red tail hawks circle the bush I had the call in.

I saw on their web site that they have several different hog call downloads. Has anyone tried any of these calls and if so do they work?

One of the problems I have had is I can hear the hogs busting brush and fighting but very seldom will they venture out where I can get a shot.
Old October 4, 2011, 12:14 AM   #2
hoghunting

I use the hog squealer call and had many responses. Sometimes the hogs will come running, other times they just walk out to see who just got his azz kicked, and there are times that they don't respond because they don't care or aren't in the area.
Old October 4, 2011, 12:34 PM   #3
rickyrick

I used a hog squealer once and a coyote came, go figgure, I guess he'd eaten some squealing pig before LOL
Old October 4, 2011, 01:35 PM   #4
FTG-05

How much does one of those hog calls cost?

THanks,
Old October 4, 2011, 04:35 PM   #5
rickyrick

Foxpro is expensive.

the mouth blown calls are cheap. but its really just a jackrabbit call blown into overdrive.

you can still find the cassette tape calls around. I have one.

google Varmint Al's website and it has a tutorial of making an Mp3 electronic caller out of radio shack stuff, I have also done that too.

But from all reports that I have seen and heard, the foxpro is the best option.

As the different seasons pass, you can find mouth blown calls on clearance most of the reed type calls are basically the same and you can tinker and modify them to suit your needs.
Old October 5, 2011, 09:53 AM   #6
Hog Buster

Over the years I’ve tried a few different hog calls. The only action I got from them was deep throated laughter emanating from some porcine creature deep in the woods.
Old October 5, 2011, 10:04 AM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I closely followed the exploits of a guy who tried to prove there was a call that would consistently draw in hogs...

He was doing this as a sponsored "field pro" so he had resources available.

He stated that he not only couldn't call it consistent but they all call in predators so it is not discriminate. If you keep spookin' the preds, the hogs will be well schooled!

Brent
Old October 5, 2011, 10:29 AM   #8
2damnold4this

That's good to know. Other than a big pile of corn or other food, what is effective at drawing hogs?
Old October 5, 2011, 11:10 AM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Consistently?
It is hard to draw hogs with anything but food...

They are not like most other animals... They do not stay in one spot for long and the reasons they move are NUMEROUS!!!

IMHO, they tend to run a route that will be on an interval of every couple/few days to a couple weeks or more between stops.

Pressure will push them off a place. But they will be found where pressure is minimal, food and water abundant and nice dense hidey holes and wallows.

If the above are in place, they may never leave...

But I think the guys with the best results are the ones that put themself in range rather than callin' them in.

But if baiting them is legal there as it is here... A big ol' pile of soured corn is all you need... usually...

Brent
Old October 5, 2011, 03:59 PM   #10
rickyrick

Yeah, many of the hogs that still have spots and colors and haven't turned "red" yet, the markings are distinct enough that you can recognize them of you saw them again. I rarely see the same pigs again if they have witnessed my wrath.
Old October 5, 2011, 05:20 PM   #11
2damnold4this

Quote:
But if baiting them is legal there as it is here... A big ol' pile of soured corn is all you need... usually...
This is the first year that it's legal to hunt over bait in this area. Unfortunately, the landowner of the place I go most doesn't allow baiting.
Old October 5, 2011, 07:53 PM   #12
tws92E05

I have the Foxpro Spitfire. They are going for about $199 now at Bass Pro. I picked mine up on sale for around $139 towards the end of the season last year. Now is definately not the time to be buying one.

I have used it a few times and was able to kill a coyote last year. It is very impressive when I put on the rabbit in distress call if there is an owl or hawk around they will be there almost immediately. I tried it out last year on crows and within a minute or so I had over a hundred crow all over me. The call seems to work quite well.

I saw the hog feeding frenzy and piglet in distress downloads and wondered if anyone had tried them.

We can have feeders here and they have been there consistently. Once we start shooting they hardly ever come out into the open to get a shot and was hoping to possibly be able to entice them a little to come on out.

I did read about putting calls together using a MP3 player but I really like the fact I can put the speaker all the way across the field from me and use the remote. Not sure if you could set anything up like that with an MP3.
Old October 5, 2011, 11:15 PM   #13
Outlaw81

Mine never worked cause I couldn't stop laughing out loud and spilling my beer!! I kept thinking bout that part on deliverance!! LOL!! The hogz around here don't respond to anything but a cur dog on their ass!! Go by ur local Mexican restaurant and ask for their food waste. Put that stuff in a 55gal can and let it rot for two weeks. Take it out to the middle of a field at night and sneak back out there at daylight. I guarantee you'll have piggies there.
Old October 6, 2011, 08:17 AM   #14
Rifleman1776

I make game calls but never heard of hog calls.
Will have to find out what sound they make.
Even if they don't attract hogs, I'm sure they will bring the hunters.
Old October 6, 2011, 11:17 AM   #15
tahunua001

i usually just go SOOOOOWEEEE PIG PIG PIG PIG PIG!!!!! haha cant believe nobody's said that yet