The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 20, 2010, 09:24 PM   #1
Beaninlv

How to carry a baton?

I personally carry mine on the front of my left hip (cross draw) i'm a righty. I just can't see why anyone would walt to carry it any other way, especially behind your weapon. Is it just me?
S&W 64 4" and Mossberg 12g
Old July 21, 2010, 12:42 AM   #2
BlackFeather

Well, I am simply a civilian but I have a decent amount of martial arts experience and I used to carry a baton every day...

I kept mine on my right hip because I felt it had a better angle to do so. I only had the ability to have a vertical hold. I kept it where the top was up and in sliding it up and out of the sheath I drew it back first. I felt most comfortable with that because a close quarter weapon being drawn across the body is slower and easier to stop as was learned in many sword arts. In martial arts period you should not cross your center line. Just my opinion.

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old July 21, 2010, 01:14 AM   #3
EdInk

The only disadvantage to crossdrawing an asp is retention.
However, I would rather have that taken than my firearm.
I know alot of LEOs that carry it crossdraw and honestly don't see a problem
with it. There is so much stuff on a duty belt that you have to put it somewhere and it helps to distribute the weight evenly.

Anyone wish they could still carry a 4 or 5 C/D cell Mag-Lite that could do "double duty?"
Old July 21, 2010, 10:36 PM   #4
samsmix

Last question first. No. Lithium lights are tops for the Harris and FBI positions.

And, more on topic with the origonal post, if you are not a LEO, why would you want one. Deadly force is deadly force, wheather by gun or club.

This comes from the veiw of an armed guard, and ccw. I can certainly see why a LEO would want one.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old July 21, 2010, 10:42 PM   #5
jimbob86

Quote:
How to carry a baton?
IDK- I don't.... bet my daughter would twirl it.......
Old July 21, 2010, 11:01 PM   #6
BillCA

Quote:
I personally carry mine on the front of my left hip (cross draw) i'm a righty.
Quote:
The only disadvantage to crossdrawing an asp is retention.
:
Anyone wish they could still carry a 4 or 5 C/D cell Mag-Lite that could do "double duty?"
First, if you're carrying a baton, even a collapsable Asp-type, without proper training, stop now and get some training. It's dated, but look for The Koga Method of Baton Techniques.

Typical carry location is on the weak-hand side, just forward of the 3/9 o'clock position. This allows access to deployment with either hand, helps balance the duty-belt load and keeps the baton out of the way of the holster and weapon draw.

Next, stop thinking of the baton as a "cross draw" weapon. It's not necessary to use the baton that way. It can be drawn with the weak hand and still deployed smoothly. Or you can deploy it in CQB using the "short" end of the baton as a striking extension of your hand. Even when desiring a cross-draw, use the off-hand to push/extend the grasping end towards the strong hand.

The Asp is small enough to be drawn with the weak hand and deployed (extended) with either hand. One tactic is using the strong hand to wave, point or direct the subject whilst drawin the compacted Asp. Time permitting, it's passed to the strong hand and deployed when necessary. Some folks never even see it until it's deployed.

If you want a double-duty flashlight, order a multiple C-cell aluminum flashlight. These should fit in a baton ring just fine. Use a large (or x-large) rubber crutch-tip, cut out in the center, to slip over the body about 8-9" down from the flashlight head. This keeps it positioned like a baton and prevents accidental activation of the light.
Old July 22, 2010, 09:24 AM   #7
old bear

I carry my baton in my right hand every day. I finally got to the point that a nice cane was helpful (not necessary) for anything more than 2- 3 blocks. It’s great; people have become very nice and almost respectful . I strongly suggest it to any over the age of 60 or if you look like you’re over 60.
Old July 22, 2010, 04:51 PM   #8
Glenn Dee

A baton?...like a night stick, or billie?... or a trunchion?.. why would a civilian carry such a device?

not to offend anyone... I'm just curious.

Glenn D.
Old July 22, 2010, 05:01 PM   #9
hoytinak

Why does everyone assume that he's a civilian carrying an ASP and not a LEO just seeing how other LEO's are carrying their's on their duty belt?

I carry a ASP on my weak side about 9 o'clock. As Bill stated it can be drawn with either hand faily easy and helps even the weight on the belt.
Old July 22, 2010, 06:26 PM   #10
GM1967

Why does everyone also assume that a civilian wouldn't want to carry one?

If you can't (or won't) carry a gun, an expandable baton like an ASP is a good hand to hand combat multiplier, and certainly better than bare-handed, especially if you are threatened with, say, a knife or broken bottle

Problem is, if you aren't allowed to carry a gun, you usually aren't allowed to carry a baton either
Old July 22, 2010, 06:41 PM   #11
usaign

The correct answer is to carry a Taser. Batons are a thing of the past.
Old July 22, 2010, 09:56 PM   #12
BlackFeather

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaign
The correct answer is to carry a Taser. Batons are a thing of the past.
Explain this please. I don't quite understand your thinking.

Old July 22, 2010, 09:59 PM   #13
bamboo spear

The truncheon never gets outdated.
Old July 22, 2010, 10:01 PM   #14
nels1481

better option

I carry a roll of quarters to do my laundry, if someone gets punched with it in my hand it is a weapon of opportunity.
Old July 23, 2010, 12:04 AM   #15
BillCA

The ASP baton is a great civilian weapon -- if it's legal where you are.

When compacted down, they measure less than 12" long. A sharp flick of the wrist extend the baton to something between 16 and 34 inches depending on model. Even compacted, it can be used as a strike weapon for close quarters.

It's amazing how deploying one can change the attitude of a group of loitering drunk troublemakers. Those things really hurt when you're on the receiving end too.
Old July 23, 2010, 12:33 AM   #16
trooper3385

Make sure it's legal for you to carry one first if you not a Leo. It's considered a club in Texas which is a prohibited weapon.
Old July 23, 2010, 04:48 PM   #17
scottaschultz

Quote:
Why does everyone assume that he's a civilian carrying an ASP and not a LEO just seeing how other LEO's are carrying their's on their duty belt?
Because professional LEO's have much better resources than a bunch of strangers on an Internet forum. He or she has all the other officers in his or her department for starters. If he or she has questions about the proper way to carry and use this or any other piece of gear, he or she needs to do this within his or her own department.
Old July 23, 2010, 04:57 PM   #18
hoytinak

Quote:
Because professional LEO's have much better resources than a bunch of strangers on an Internet forum. He or she has all the other officers in his or her department for starters. If he or she has questions about the proper way to carry and use this or any other piece of gear, he or she needs to do this within his or her own department.
So we should all stop using this (and other firearm forums) for advice/BSing on/about our firearms and should only stick the local ranges and gunshops?
Old July 23, 2010, 05:12 PM   #19
Glenn Dee

I wonder if most departments prescribe the position and manner to carry an impact weapon while on duty, and in uniform.

I personally dont like those colapsable batons. Refused to carry one. Didnt like the PR24's either.

COCOBOLO.... now ya talking. Off duty or in civies?.. Blackjack, or a slapper!

Ohh how I long for the old days...
Old July 23, 2010, 06:02 PM   #20
scottaschultz

Quote:
So we should all stop using this (and other firearm forums) for advice/BSing on/about our firearms and should only stick the local ranges and gunshops?
I never said that. Please don't put words in my mouth. I was only commenting on the remark that the OP could be a LEO and I was questioning the assumption that a LEO who had professional training in the military or an academy would come to an Internet forum for training advice from strangers. Of course Internet forums could be very valuable resources for LEO's to exchange information with each other, but this forum does not differentiate between civilians and LEO's.

We come from two completely different places. We carry guns to protect ourselves and our loved ones, but LEO's carry weapons to uphold and enforce the law and that's not our job.

Last edited by scottaschultz; July 23, 2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old July 23, 2010, 10:47 PM   #21
Regular_Joe

I guess it depends on what kind of baton you are carrying...
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bes...on.defense.cnn
Old July 23, 2010, 11:17 PM   #22
Kmar40

Baton, huh? My baton is on my raid vest. I certainly don't carry it off-duty.

If I were some ninja with significant training who felt somehow unarmed without a baton, I'd probably carry a 3AAA flashlight or something similar. They make pretty good improvised non-lethal weapons and also have other uses (obviously).

If you had enough training to be carrying a baton at anytime (on-duty or off-duty) you'd know why some people carry crossdraw and others carry strongside. If you don't, you need to get the training.

I can't think of any reason I'd advise a civilian to carry a baton, but perhaps I'm biased against them.
Old July 24, 2010, 01:29 AM   #23
BlackFeather

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmar40
I can't think of any reason I'd advise a civilian to carry a baton, but perhaps I'm biased against them.
Mine worked well on dogs and certainly felt better than nothing. I carry a knife, no gun. Never felt the need for a gun when I have something more useful. The baton seemed a bit much without a reason so I stopped carrying it. I agree most people don't need it but for others it can be very beneficial. I am a firm believer that all should be proficient in at least the basics of most commonly encountered weapons in the off chance you need to defend against such a weapon.

Old July 24, 2010, 07:36 AM   #24
ClydeFrog

Batons or impact weapons...

In general, I do not carry or use a baton or impact weapon but I could see the value of using it under limited conditions.
I and many other sworn LEOs, guards, corrections, SFs/MPs, etc know what an annoying pain it can be lug around a full size baton or PR-24.
I do like the ASP 21" and some compact style PR-24 units.
I'd carry an impact weapon in a 360 degree rotation type holder of kydex or man made material. www.galls.com www.policehq.com sell different brands.
Old July 25, 2010, 12:07 AM   #25
usaign

Now why in Texas can you not carry a club around? There are some good reasons as to why someone might want to carry a club or a Taser. For example, imagine you are the manager of a Papa Johns making the nightly drop at the safe deposit box.

I could go on and on with different examples. There are some people who need a greater level of protection then just their hands. They may not be comfortable with a pistol and so they choose a club-like weapon.

I am disappointed that Texas has such liberal laws on concealed carry of pistols, but cant give their citizens the right to carry a club or baton. Waving around a baton or club could give someone a little extra time to retreat.

Whenever I need some extra training, then I turn to youtube because there are lots of experts on there. This guy has a good point. Use the ASP baton like a whip, not a bat. The key is to get the first 2-3 inches on the target and then snap it back into ready position. The idea is to make the target go away. If they come near you, then you snap the 2-3 inches down on them inflicting pain and then get back into ready position to inflict more pain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux2eoJG3lRI

Last edited by usaign; July 25, 2010 at 12:16 AM.