The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 16, 2010, 11:06 PM   #1
CajunPowder

Uberti Factory Stamp - "U" surrounded by an Octagon

Now that the wonderful age of fairly affordable digital cameras is here would somebody please assist me by taking a photo, a closeup or macro photo of the Uberti Factory Stamp or Uberti Factory Mark - the infamous letter "U" surrounded by an Octagon.

I have busted my knuckles on the keyboard trying to google up a nice closeup of the Uberti Factory Stamp in ANY form and no luck.

I just realized that if a piece does not have this stamp upon it then one would have a very difficult time arguing during resale that it is indeed an Uberti.

It "might" be an Uberti barrel with the black powder disclaimer many of us are familiar with ... but I'm thinking that "U" inside an Octagon might mean a lot if it were found on the frame or on the barrel.

Would somebody please take a Macro photo of the Uberti Factory Stamp. It doesn't matter how good the photo is and of course, if you want to try to make an awesome photo of it please, accept the challenge.

And perhaps this thread can become a documentary of how that Uberti Factory Stamp has:

- changed over the years
- which black powder models it appears upon
- where it appears on the piece
- if it no longer appears on that piece, etc ...

It's just a lil' ole "tee" thang, but to some ... it means a whole lot.

---
-----
--------

Last edited by CajunPowder; April 16, 2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Busted Knuckles !!!
Old April 16, 2010, 11:27 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

Here: https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/P...Proofmarks.pdf

Not exactly what you asked for; but valuable info none the less

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 16, 2010, 11:58 PM   #3
Hawg

The only Uberti I currently have is a Cimarron 1873 Colt made in 1990. All the Uberti markings are under the ejector rod housing with the U on the face of the frame between the cylinder pin and where the housing seats. It's very tiny and my camera flash obliterates it. Maybe in the daytime when I can take a pic outside I can get it. It looks just like the one on the link Fingers gave tho.
Old April 17, 2010, 12:45 AM   #4
CajunPowder

https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/PDF/POWDER/MBPProofmarks.pdf

Fingers:

That's a GOOD one. And of course I'd like to see that as it appears on a piece so the Uberti Factory Mark contest is STILL ON!

Hawg :

It was tough enough to get the Proofs in macro from the stainless piece I photographed, I can imagine it will be difficult with a blued piece.

Thanks ya'll

So this is what we have so far. I've made a screenshot of two Uberti Factory Stamps or Uberti Factory Marks from this webpage, a PDF file actually:

https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/P...Proofmarks.pdf

--------------

--------------

The more of you that can take a macro photo of the image directly from the piece you own, the more interesting I think this will be.

Last edited by CajunPowder; April 17, 2010 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Produced some photoshop products
Old April 17, 2010, 07:39 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

Instead of taking a macro photo using macro lens or digital settings, try using the max resolution. Take a photo from 12 inches away at 12MP then you zoom in on the small area you want to see.
Old April 18, 2010, 02:17 AM   #6
RemTim

Uberti Factory Stamp - "U" surrounded by an Octagon

Try this one out, CajunPowder. This is the stamp on the side of the barrel on my 1971 Lyman Remington New Army.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pix270191734.jpg (21.2 KB, 73 views)
Old April 18, 2010, 03:50 AM   #7
CajunPowder

RemTim's Uberti Factory Stamp

Here's RemTim's Uberti Factory Mark on his 1971 Lyman Remington New Army posted to the thread.

Thanks RemTim!

Old April 18, 2010, 09:34 AM   #8
wogpotter

Quote:
I just realized that if a piece does not have this stamp upon it then one would have a very difficult time arguing during resale that it is indeed an Uberti.
Maybe not!

I have an Uberti-made, Cimarron-imported/distributed .44 Remington New Army that does not have the "U" in a bore mark. The proof date code is "BZ" (2005)
Instead under the barrel, hidden by the ramming mechanism it says in big, bold letters, "CAL .44 BLACK POWDER ONLY-A.UBERTI ITALY", I was told that this was done in this way to allow the "Cimarron-Fredericksburg" on the top of the barrel to be the most visually apartment stamping on the pistol.
Old April 18, 2010, 05:47 PM   #9
CajunPowder

Cal. 44 black powder only - a. Uberti italy

wogpotter:

The piece I currently have, (which is going back for exchange), says exactly:

"CAL. 44 BLACK POWDER ONLY - A. UBERTI ITALY"

and that is found underneath the barrel.

Interestingly, if one types this "Uberti black powder disclaimer" into google, the top rank for that is this thread.

Mine is stainless steel, the target model, made in 2008. I find no Uberti Factory Stamp anywhere on the frame or the barrel.

I'm beginning to think that Uberti has at some point stopped putting it's Factory Stamp on certain models of it's pieces. And that's what this thread is about.

Last edited by CajunPowder; April 18, 2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old April 18, 2010, 08:39 PM   #10
CajunPowder

Uberti Manufacture's Mark

I got somewhere googling the phrase:

Uberti Manufacture's Mark (no quotes).

and found some images that belongs to a Gatofeo thread.

Navy Arms .36 target revolver, circa 1973

Here are the images cropped and sized from the originals, (resource images).

Uberti Manufacture's Mark:

---

Uberti Manufacture's Mark, (position and placement reference):

This of course is the Uberti Factory, (or manufacture's), Mark, (or stamp or proof), as it appeared more than 30 years ago.

I would like to determine when and if Uberti has ceased stamping this mark on their revolver replicas, specifically the replica of the Remington 1858 New Army revolver in 44 caliber.

---

Last edited by CajunPowder; April 18, 2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old April 19, 2010, 08:33 AM   #11
wogpotter

I guess they did prior to our 2 examples at least.
Maybe it related to U.S. Imports as a lot of U.S. Importers want their companie's logo exclusively?
I know for a fact that many items imported into the U.S. had the original manufacturer's logo deleted specifically for this exact reason.