The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 10, 2013, 09:18 AM   #26
Bartholomew Roberts

$16 a box in bulk for 9mm Blazer? In Spring 2008 during that panic, I paid $8.21 per box for the same ammo (delivered in 2009).

You have two problems here: 1) Insatiable demand 2) Manufacturers not increasing supply due to legislative uncertainty.

Since the no increase in supply and large demand have the same root cause, you won't see any chamge on this for months until the future of legislation becomes more clear or people get desperate and start selling off.
Old January 10, 2013, 10:35 AM   #27
Don P

Quote:
@DonP - No need to go out on a limb....Your friendly politician will take care of that for you
What was I thinking????????????

Quote:
Hey Don, just in case you get a hankering to spend $3K on an AK (hey, that rhymes) please look me up, local sale
Such a deal, I'l take 3 at that price and be glad I did. Bargin of the century!!!!!!!!
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 10, 2013, 10:42 AM   #28
RamItOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don P
Such a deal, I'l take 3 at that price and be glad I did. Bargin of the century!!!!!!!!
yeah if it were the 1800s lol

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 10, 2013, 11:51 AM   #29
coachteet

Walmart prices vary regionally. Back in 2008 during the last ammo panic, walmart still was getting ammo in reliably. It didn't stay on the shelves long, but they did get it in stock. As I recall, I bought Blazer for $8.97, then a couple months later around $9.50.

It has been a few years since then, and the price of ammo everywhere had gone up quite a bit between 2008 and 2012. Not sure what the ammo prices were a few months ago, because I'm pretty well set in that regard. But I haven't ever known walmart to rapidly increase their price on ammo. I can't say with certainty, but if their prices have gone up, it is probably because their wholesale cost has gone up.
Old January 10, 2013, 06:34 PM   #30
Alabama Shooter

I see listings for SKSs on Armslist $600-1000. Mini-14s coming out of the closet for $1000-1400 Colt ARs mostly North of $2K. I don't think that is "dying down". More like musical chairs where everyone is afraid they are not going to get a seat.
Old January 11, 2013, 09:09 AM   #31
Rifleman1776

The parking lots of my local gun shops were packed yesterday. Far busier than the normal day before opening of deer season. Local Wal-Mart doesn't have any .22 ammo.
Slowing down? I think not. Just starting.
Old January 11, 2013, 10:03 AM   #32
zincwarrior

Quote:
I see listings for SKSs on Armslist $600-1000. Mini-14s coming out of the closet for $1000-1400 Colt ARs mostly North of $2K. I don't think that is "dying down". More like musical chairs where everyone is afraid they are not going to get a seat.
Old January 11, 2013, 01:29 PM   #33
southjk

I just stopped by the Sports Authority here and was finally able to find some 22lr. They were pretty picked over but had had a delivery yesterday afternoon. I bought 500 but considered buying all they had but figured I'd give the next guy a chance. Looked like they had another 10 boxes or so left. I called around, found out when their truck came in and went as soon as I could after.
Old January 12, 2013, 10:37 PM   #34
SQUAREKNOT

I was browsing yesterday at a large sporting goods store. One of the four employee's were talking about how he had requested a list of all wholesalers and thought he would have to just send out PO's to all of them hoping to get some ammo. They were saying loaded ammo was REAL hard to come by in about any cal. I got lucky and found where someone had mixed in 1500 Hornady 55gf FMJBT with the lead 45 cal pistol bullets.
I fixed that, got them all. Also saw that small rifle primers were now up$10
to $40 /1000
BTW all the online stores are out of about everything-including bullets, powder, brass and primers
Old January 12, 2013, 11:06 PM   #35
Colorado308shooter

Midwayusa has virtually nothing in stock that is ammo or reloading related. I got real lucky yesterday....scored 500 223 bullets 10 minutes before they went out of stock.
Old January 12, 2013, 11:15 PM   #36
Dre_sa

For those that have done the whole buying craze / potential AWB, how long before prices go back to normal?

Given that prices are currently irrational, I'll hold off on buying anything new for a while.
Old January 12, 2013, 11:46 PM   #37
testuser

If it's anything like the last time, I'd say you're looking at elevated prices/demand for most of this year. Even if legislation is defeated, it will take some time for supply to return to normal. If there is another mass shooting this year or legislation passes, then the problem will get much worse.
Old January 12, 2013, 11:54 PM   #38
jmortimer

The demand will last for four more years and then possibly four more or whatever after that. Ruger, never did catch up so we are going on year five in certain respects. In the end, if the market is working, supply will increase and hopefully meet and exceed demand.
Old January 13, 2013, 12:17 AM   #39
9mm

No dying down, shops are empty here, guns come in but not "EBR's" My LGS has a few coming in for the past three weeks, hasn't seen them. Companies /dealers promise they are shipping soon. I wonder if there is some legal hold up?
Old January 13, 2013, 12:28 AM   #40
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
In the end, if the market is working, supply will increase and hopefully meet and exceed demand.
I don't think that's physically possible at the moment.

Take the AR-15 as an example. Let's get more specific and use the Colt 6920, since that's the all-arounder. Before the panic, they sold for $1100 or so. Then they disappeared. Then they showed up at the local gun shows for $3500. People bought them.

The result? Huge scarcity and tolerance for huge price increases. At the moment, Colt isn't giving estimates for when retailers can expect a restock. In fact, they're not even answering their phones.

The scarcity gets worse, and people pay more. It becomes a vicious cycle. At the moment, the buying public accepts that equation.

When a couple trickle out to a retailer, he has to raise prices to keep cash flow going. Now regular price on the 6920 is $2000. Hey, that's cheaper than the gun show! Those probably don't last ten minutes on the rack, and the cycle continues.

Eventually, things will level out, but by then the public will have accepted higher prices as the new normal. One local retailer is selling XM193 for $1.00/round, and he's not getting complaints. People want the ammo that badly.

TL;DR: we're looking at significant scarcity for months at least, and higher prices for quite awhile.
Old January 13, 2013, 11:19 AM   #41
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I agree with you Tom, great post. We might as well expect these prices for the time being. I don't think we will ever see prices as low as before.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old January 13, 2013, 11:40 AM   #42
Alabama Shooter

Personally I am all about shopped out. In the last two months I exceed my annual gun budget (which I admit is small). Short of the return of the Walmart Colts I see no reason to buy anything.
Old January 13, 2013, 12:13 PM   #43
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I am noticing that the selection on my local area Armslist ads are less than the past two weeks. I just think it is mainly because of the supply is drying up. There were a lot that bought them in a rush to sell them for profit. I think that the most have sold what they have. I am seeing more and more M&P15-22's and other proprietary .22's at much higher prices (not sure if they are selling or not). I also am seeing more ads where people are trying to get firearms under less than scrupulous terms. I see ads where people are wanting to buy SBR's and other NFA firearms "without the red tape". I urge everyone to flag any like this you see... This is bad publicity just waiting to happen. Keep your eyes out and be smart and legal if you buy or sell anything. I fear there are "golden apples" out there, just to make gun owners look bad. Especially watch out for listings of "Assault Rifles for sale".... lol.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old January 14, 2013, 08:25 AM   #44
breakingcontact

Agree CJ. The buying isn't dying down its just there is less out there to buy.
Old January 14, 2013, 08:27 AM   #45
BullseyePrecision

Just went into a second lgs in a town by mine they had 10 ars they just got in. Maybe I just live in the right area
Old January 14, 2013, 08:33 AM   #46
jason_iowa

Should calm down by next Christmas unless we have further events.
Old January 14, 2013, 11:34 AM   #47
Dre_sa

I wonder if I'll be able to trade my AR for a benelli M4.

Last edited by Dre_sa; January 14, 2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old January 14, 2013, 11:42 AM   #48
HK_Flo

lol I had some CCI mini-mag .22 in my cart at cheaper than dirt.

Had to answer a phone call... SOLD OUT again by the time I mad it back to the webpage.
Old January 14, 2013, 01:32 PM   #49
Skans

I bought my last semi-auto for a long time. I've got my eye on a couple of those Smith & Wesson 8-shot .357's. Maybe they will come out with a 10-shot.?
Old January 14, 2013, 08:59 PM   #50
dajowi

A local Bimart was totally sold out of .22 ammo and pistol primers