The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 18, 2010, 12:28 AM   #26
SainthoodDenied

Like someone replied to Docs post, the Ed Masterson shooting with his clothes burning is documented in several books on old west and gun fighter history.
And back when I was reenacting I was at the Selma AL event and I saw the grass catch on fire in front of a skirmish line after a volley fire and it started to spread pretty quick and the line had to run forward and stomp it out in the middle of the battle
Old May 18, 2010, 01:02 AM   #27
suzukibruce

send something to mythbusters about it. i posted the artical about the gun range burning and upon doind a little more research i found this artical...

Mary Scott 31.OCT.07

The smell of gunpowder and the loud popping of rifles made it clear the Hap Baker Firearms Facility’s rifle range is now back in action for hunting season.

The rifle range was closed after it was destroyed in a fire in February, and it reopened on Oct. 4. During the reconstruction process, more concrete was added to prevent similar fires from happening again.

“We have increased concrete, an extra apron that goes out in front,” Jeff Degitz, county director of Recreation and Parks, said. “There is nothing to ignite there.”

The fire was caused when loose black powder that is used to spark ammunition ignited, and the fire got out of control.

“Some landed in grass that was very dry on a cold and windy day,” Degitz said.

The rifle range was destroyed, but the pistol range was largely unharmed and was reopened in March.

The rebuilding of the facility cost approximately $250,000, according to Degitz, although the county’s insurance covered almost all of the costs.

Both the rifle range and pistol range will be open for operation Wednesdays through Sundays from 10 a.m. until one hour prior to sunset until Dec. 31.

From Jan. 1 until March 31, Hap Baker will be open Fridays through Sundays from 10 a.m. to one hour prior to sunset.

and here is the direct link
http://talk.baltimoresun.com/showthread.php?t=127977
Old May 18, 2010, 09:00 AM   #28
MJN77

Someone mentioned brush fires and Civil War guns. 1864 battle of the wilderness, the discharge of thousends of rifles set the woods on fire and many boys on both sides burned to death.
Old May 18, 2010, 09:21 AM   #29
Hardcase

Quote:
Someone mentioned brush fires and Civil War guns. 1864 battle of the wilderness, the discharge of thousends of rifles set the woods on fire and many boys on both sides burned to death.
Indeed, one of the costliest battles, in terms of bloodshed, of the war. Between the fighting and the fires, the North suffered 18,000 casualties and the South 11,000.

My great-great grandfather was part of the Wandering IX Corps in that battle (Company G of the 27th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment.) I wish that we had some of his letters from the time, but either he didn't write any or they've been lost over the past century and a half. But I do have several photos and one gem that is utterly priceless as far as I'm concerned:

Old May 18, 2010, 09:54 AM   #30
MJN77

Beautiful rifle Hardcase. I have been a CW buff for 17 years. I have family that fought in both sides of that war, including a Missouri bushwhacker.
Marshall
Old May 18, 2010, 11:45 AM   #31
Doc Hoy

This is good stuff.

The things you all are posting are exactly the type of material that answers the question posed by the OP and then by me..

I have a way of taking these threads to places that the OP, in many cases did not intend to go. Sometimes I go too far astray.

Tnx,
Old May 18, 2010, 11:56 AM   #32
JNewell

Quote:
I heard something kinda hard to believe. Is it true that if you shoot someone 18-24 inches away with a large caliber c&p revolver, it will set the person's clothing on fire? That would be one hell of a bonus!!
No way. Seriously, I've fired flintlock muskets in large formations of men, three ranks deep, sparks going everywhere. No one's clothing has ever caught fire. There is a reason that cartridge boxes have a heavy leather flap cover, however.

I have also personally seen several fires started in the summer when the grass is tall and dry.

Last edited by JNewell; May 18, 2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old May 18, 2010, 02:01 PM   #33
suzukibruce

i don't know, anyone ever weld wearing flannel and denim with tattered holes in it? i found myself on fire a few times from tattered cotton... it doesnt take much to get cotton burning...lol...
Old May 18, 2010, 04:04 PM   #34
suzukibruce

[IMG][/IMG]
Old May 19, 2010, 09:47 PM   #35
Wobble

Never experimented with being in front of my gun, but I know from experience that you get badly burned fingers by getting your hand in front of the cylinder/barrel gap.
Old May 29, 2010, 01:12 PM   #36
Ozzieman

You also have to remember that it’s not just the un or burning powder, it’s also the grease that was used back in the west, depending on what they were using (bear grease?????) That will also help catch things on fire.
Back in my early days (20’s) I did a lot of fast draw with my 44 Navy. I would usually stand about 7 feet from the target and shoot from the hip. I got respectable at speed and accuracy, at least I impressed my instructor/friend at the time.
Well I was using Crisco for bullet grease filling the end of the cylinder to keep the gun from multiple fires.
I had fired several cylinders, 4 or 5, when I empted the gun I walked back to the bench and started loading another cylinder when my friend came out of his garage yelling something about a fire and running out with a bucket of water. When I turned around the target was on fire.
It was his range at his house and only a single station, we put the fire out and most of the target was still on the board. Only the top had burnt. But what I noticed was that the lower portion of the target was covered with liquid splattering. It turned out to be the Crisco grease.
Between the shredded paper targets, covered in grease drippings and flaming power, I set the target on fire. At the time I quit using any type of grease and started using a non flammable product called “spitball”. Came in a hand lotion container that made it easy to fill the chamber top and never had the same problem again.
Old May 29, 2010, 08:20 PM   #37
MJN77

Way back when, the most common "grease" was beeswax.
Old May 29, 2010, 08:59 PM   #38
Hawg

Quote:
Way back when, the most common "grease" was beeswax.
Beeswax isn't grease. Most common grease was lard.
Old June 1, 2010, 09:55 PM   #39
MJN77

That's why the word Grease was in ""
Old June 6, 2010, 09:31 PM   #40
Gatofeo

I've read a few accounts of the old days, when a victim's clothing caught fire after being shot. I don't doubt it. However, I'd be more inclined that cotton, especially flannel, would ignite. I don't think wool ever does ignite; I've never seen it do so. It melts or shrivels like hair. Polyester clothing such as windbreakers might burst into flames. Not sure.

Had an interesting experience recently. I have a cotton shop towel in my cap and ball box for wiping my hands. Over time, it gets fairly greasy.
I draped it over the sandbag on my pistol rest, while shooting a newly acquired .36 Remington.
After a few shots, that greasy shop towel began to smolder and smoke. It didn't burst into flames, but I'm sure it was seconds away from it. I was shooting in a gravel pit, with nothing but dirt around and no combustibles, so I threw it on the ground and doused it with my water bottle.

Years ago, while shooting my .50-caliber rifle prone, I set dry grass on fire around the muzzle. My buddy and I saw it immediately and stamped out the blaze. Scared the heck out of us, and I've always been mindful to not shoot over dry grass with black powder. This was on public land, so I could have set the whole place on fire.

In dry season, I may place a long target on dry grass, but I shoot from a bare dirt or gravel area.
I can find places like that here in the northwestern Utah desert, so it's not a problem. Others who live in grassy country may find such places difficult to find.

Set clothing on fire with black powder? Yep, I believe it.