The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 22, 2005, 07:55 AM   #1
MidKnight

Folding knife...

Mods, delete/move if needed. I'm not sure if there is an appropriate area for this question so....

I carry a Smith and Wesson Millenium Swat folding pocket knife (full size, half serrated). I love it. Been carrying it every day for 4 years now. I'm not a knife expert by any means, so forgive this newb quesiton.

The knife is getting old and I think that the hinge is getting gritty because there's a lot more friction in the action than when I purchased it. I can still flick it open, and it's not hindering it's use, but I'd like to fix it, make it smooth again.

Question is, can you tear down a (this) folding pocket knife, clean it, and re-grease it? If so, if there anything I should know? What type of grease to use? Things to look out for?

Thanks in advance for any responses I get!
Old July 22, 2005, 12:56 PM   #2
Sturmgewehr-58

I have a first production run S&W SWAT that I have been carrying for almost seven years. I have disassembled the knife and cleaned/lubricated it a few times.

Be sure to use the correct wrench size so you don't strip the screws, or it will be very difficult to disassemble next time. The screws on mine may be a different size than yours, so I can't give you the correct wrench size. Also, be careful not to lose the small parts. There is a very small ball bearing and spring that can be lost very easily. I use white lithium grease to lubricate. The trick is to not use too much, as grease and oil will attract lint and dirt, which kind of defeats the purpose of cleaning the knife.
Thus saith the Lord GOD; This is Jerusalem: I have set it in the midst of the nations and countries that are round about her. And she hath changed my judgments into wickedness more than the nations, and my statutes more than the countries that are round about her: for they have refused my judgments and my statutes, they have not walked in them.
Ezekiel 5:5-6
Old July 22, 2005, 01:17 PM   #3
USP45usp

Will S&W rebuild it for you for a good price and then resharpen it? My Benchmade comes with a lifetime shapening and rebuilding warrenty. It does cost $5 but that is for postage only.

Wayne
Old July 22, 2005, 01:34 PM   #4
MidKnight

Sturm / USP

Thanks for the responses. I shapen it myself every two weeks or so on ceramic stones, so that's not too important... but I'll definately look into a rebuild.

If that's a bust, sturm, thanks for the info! Just what I needed.