The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 17, 2001, 09:15 PM   #1
Willy

How does the Lee Factory Crimp Die compare to the crimp die in a Dillon 3 die set?

Any need to get a Lee Factory Crimp die, if I already have a Dillon 3 die pistol set?
Old July 17, 2001, 10:08 PM   #2
Wayward

The LEE FCD is a carbide sizing die with a crimp plug. I started reloading about 3 months ago and bought a LEE FCD on the advice of others on various forums. I've shot about 1500 rounds of my 9mm reloads, all of which have been finished off with the FCD, and haven't had one that wouldn't go bang.
Old July 18, 2001, 12:09 AM   #3
Clark

The Lee factory crimp die is one thing for a straight wall pistol cartridge, and something very different for a bottle necked rifle cartridge.

Why Lee would use the same term for two different things, both so good, is beyond me.
Old July 18, 2001, 02:27 AM   #4
blades67

If you already have the Dillon 3-die set you don't need the Lee factory crap die, the Dillon die does the same thing and is radiused for a progressive machine. The lee die isn't.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old July 18, 2001, 07:10 AM   #5
Pampers

Here We Go Again!

When the Lee FC die came out, Precision Shooting tested it on Benchrest loads of known accuracy in rifles of known accuracy. Their conclusion: THE LEE FACTORY CRIMP IS THE FASTEST WAY TO RUIN AN OTHERWISE ACCURATE LOAD!

And, by accurate, their talking about gun/load combos that will go <.001" @ 100 yds, NOT 4 minutes of deer at 50 feet!

Reality: YOU DO NOT CRIMP A BOTTLE NECK CASE FOR USE IN A BOLT GUN!

Yr. Obt. Svnt.
NRA Golden Eagle
Old July 18, 2001, 09:44 AM   #6
Alleycat

The Lee Factory crimp die in pistol calibers is NOT the "same thing as the Dillon Die"!

Can't speak to the rifle issue, but the pistol caliber FC die from Lee is a good thing. The Dillon die crimps only--the Lee die also "finish sizes" the case--and it goes a lot farther down the case than the Dillon sizing die, if that's what you're using. For reliable feeding, the Lee die is a worthwhile investment--and it's cheap!

Steve
Old July 18, 2001, 03:52 PM   #7
jtduncan

The Lee FCD is a standard taper crimp.

I talked to a Dillon rep about their "accucrimp" or whatever they call it. It's a modified taper crimp.

Its propreitary.

Many of us at GT who reload a lot have had great experiences with the LFCD. And you have better quality control on your bullets when you seat and crimp in two separate procedures.

If you have a turret or a Dillon progressive, its the best way to go.
Old July 18, 2001, 04:11 PM   #8
Willy

Sorry, I was asking about the pistol die set, not about bottle necked rifle cartridges and for clarity, I have a Dillon 550.

Alleycat,
If I understand you correctly, the Lee FCD finish sizes the case, as well as crimps it, and sizes better than the Dillon SIZING die?

Just wanted to make sure that is what you are saying. If that is the case, is it because the Dillon sizing die has the radiused entry and therefore doesn't go as far down the case as the Lee FCD. That's is something that I didn't think about.

Anyone else feel the same way as Alleycat?

Jtduncan,
I might be mistaken, but you are seating and crimping in two different operations with the Dillon three die set. That is what the third die is. I am curious if the people that like the Lee FCD have tried or replaced their Dillon crimp die, or if they have never had the Dillon and just have had good results with the Lee.

I know that the Lee FCD is not a lot of money, but I would be buying four if I they are really a lot better.

Thanks,
Willy
Old July 18, 2001, 06:23 PM   #9
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Does the LFCD resize a completely loaded round?

Thought I'd seen that before but blew it off - here it is again - if I'm reading this right.

If it does, why? Seems to be opening up a can of worms due to variances in case wall thickness, etc.
Old July 18, 2001, 08:01 PM   #10
Hal

I use a FCD for .38/.357, .44 Special/.44Mag, .45 Colt , 9mm and .45acp. I haven't noticed any real accuracy difference, ut to be honest, I haven't tired for extreme accuracy. Yes, the Lee Factory Crimp Die has a carbide ring and it does resize the full length of the loaded round as i't withdrawn. HOWEVER. You can feel the resizing take place, and so far I've only felt it on a few of the rounds, and those were where the bullet had swelled the case.

I have noticed better shot to shot consistancy where recoil is concerned (sorry, no chrono and even if I had one, no place to use it) and more complete burning of powder, due no doubt to a better crimp than I was getting before with a standard Lee Carbide die set. I also noticed it was harder to "crush" a loaded round with the FCD than the standard die.
We aren't talking a major investment here since a FCD is under $20.00. My sugestion is to try one and see how you like it
Old July 18, 2001, 09:53 PM   #11
craigz

With the Dillon .45 ACP crimp die, I was getting 2 to 3 rounds per hundred that would not fit into a drop-in cartridge gauge. With the Lee FCD, I get about one round in 500 that fails to gauge.
Old July 18, 2001, 11:20 PM   #12
Willy

Now I understand. I didn't get how the Lee FCD worked.

And RAE, you are right. I will get one and try it.
Thanks.
Old July 19, 2001, 10:18 AM   #13
Alleycat

Willy,

Not necessarily better, but different, and definitely farther down on the case than the Dillon sizer. Unless you shoot hot loads or unsupported chambers, you'll not see much resizing going on here--but the ones it DOES catch will save you much in the way of jams, etc.

Steve