The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 10, 2011, 09:19 PM   #1
torquewrench

9mm for Steel Challenge Competition

I am looking for a good 9mm pistol for steel challenge competition. I have been told that there is some pretty good out of the box 1911 style 9mms with 19 round mags. Para and Springfield were recommended. I want to stay under $700. Any suggestions???
Old October 10, 2011, 09:46 PM   #2
bofe954

I've never seen a double stack Springfield 9mm 1911, maybe a $3500 custom shop gun?

You may be able to get a used para 9mm for 700ish.

SCSA steel challenge stages are only 5 shots. If you miss, especially more than once or twice, your time is awful.

You really don't need capacity. You might be able to find a decent used single stack for $700. You could definitely get a plastic gun (glock, m+p, whatever) with some trigger work and sights for less than $700.
Old October 11, 2011, 07:19 AM   #3
kraigwy

I went with the Beretta 92FS for the steel challenge matches. Got the 18 round clips and use cast 124 grn bullets, 4.5 grns of Unique.

Works for me.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 11, 2011, 07:28 AM   #4
shootniron

In our club steel matches, if you use a hi-cap pistol, you are put in the open class competing with shooters that are typically at a higher lever.
Old October 11, 2011, 08:22 AM   #5
MGMorden

Quote:
In our club steel matches, if you use a hi-cap pistol, you are put in the open class competing with shooters that are typically at a higher lever.
In club-rule matches that is fine, but there's no worry of that in a real Steel Challenge match - the divisions are pretty close to USPSA divisions with the addition of a few more for rimfire guns.

A fairly stock hi-cap pistol can be used in the Production division which follows USPSA rules (limit of 10 rounds per mag - though you can use higher cap mags just downloaded).

With a few modifications - or if you want to load your mags up full, you can compete in the Iron Sight division which is more akin to USPSA Limited.

Taken from the SCSA rulebook, the handgun divisions are as follows:

Quote:
A.2 Rimfire Pistol: Open to any pistol firing .22 Long Rifle ammunition
(see “ammunition” rule 4.1.2). This event has two equipment divisions:

A.2.1 Rimfire Open: This is the Rimfire race division. All legal
rimfire firearms are allowed. Optics and Compensators are
specifi cally allowed.

A.2.2 Rimfire Iron Sights: Any Iron-sighted rimfire pistols without a compensator, barrel ports or optic sights. Fiber-optic
sight inserts are specifically allowed.

A.3 Center Fire Pistol: Any pistol firing (9mm/.38 Special) or larger ammunition (see “ammunition” rule 4.1.1). This event has multiple equipment divisions as follows.

A.3.1 Open: This is the race division! All legal firearms are allowed. Optics, Compensators, and any safe holster/position are specifically allowed.

A.3.2 Iron Sight: Any iron sighted pistol without a compensator, barrel ports, or optical sight. Fiber optic inserts are specifically allowed.

A.3.3 Production: Any double action or safe action pistol on the USPSA Production gun list. No Race holsters allowed.

A.3.4 Optic Revolver: Open revolver, with no restrictions for maximum rounds. Optics, Compensators and any safe holster/position allowed.

A.3.5 Iron Sight Revolver: Any iron sighted revolver without a compensator, barrel ports or optical sight. Fiber optic inserts are specifically allowed. No barrel length or holster restrictions. No restrictions for maximum rounds.

A.3.6 COWBOY SINGLE ACTION: Any Single Action revolver that conforms with appropriate SASS rules and regulations. Cowboy Single Action shooters may use two (2) revolvers, with all chambers loaded (6). Upon emptying the first revolver the competitor may draw their second revolver (if necessary) to complete the course of fire. However, the second revolver may not be drawn until the first revolver has been fully re-holstered. On either draw, the hammer may not be cocked until the barrel is pointed down range. Adjustable sights are allowed. Must conform with appropriate SASS holster and holster-position rules. Western attire is encouraged.
Old October 11, 2011, 10:11 AM   #6
torquewrench

I am corrected. I participated in an event at the range I belong to. It was called the steel challenge. My first shooting event. We shot at as many as 10 steel targets per round. So why I am looking for is a high capacity 9mm to shoot at events with many targets. I am not sure what the official name for this type of competition is. I learn more with every post. Like I said it was my first pistol event. I am now hooked. I need a more appropriate pistol than my 8040 couger.
Old October 11, 2011, 10:14 AM   #7
torquewrench

MGMorden... Thanks for the rules post. Helps new guys out.
Old October 11, 2011, 06:15 PM   #8
mr kablammo

I am fortunate to participate in a monthly steel competition match. Most of the stages are Steel Challenge stages or similar to the SC stages. Hence it is not a true SC match but an 'outlaw' match as the organizers do not pay dues to SC/USPSA to affiliate nor to use the no~doubt copyrighted stages. In addition, unusual stages like the Polish Plate Rack, 20 little plates, obscured presentations are used. That seems to your experience. So you were doing Steel Challenge~ish shooting. It seems USPSA puts up with the 'outlaws' because they are feeders for true SC and USPSA membership. At the match we have a friendly atmo. Newbies, LEO, ret mil, and national class shooters. Perhaps even a transgendered person.

With regards to the gun. I like CZ 75 SA, XD 9 Tactical, Sig p226, Steyr M9, SW 4506, M&P, Model 19.

For your list, check the BHP, CZ 75 SA, Para P18. I dunno if you can get SA 1911 9mm at the price.

Last edited by mr kablammo; October 11, 2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old October 11, 2011, 07:30 PM   #9
Japle

Another vote for the CZ75 SA. Mine has had some work done - trigger, sights and grips - and I use it in Production, IDPA ESP or Limited, depending on the holster.

Old October 12, 2011, 07:45 AM   #10
bofe954

Quote:
Another vote for the CZ75 SA. Mine has had some work done - trigger, sights and grips - and I use it in Production, IDPA ESP or Limited, depending on the holster.
If you're shooting a single action only CZ in production, you're shooting some small matches with some ignorant RO's.

That would be a nice steel gun though.
Old October 13, 2011, 02:00 AM   #11
1SOW

Looking at steel pistols:
I shoot a 9mm CZ 75B in "production" USPSA, and steel challenge "limited class" using 19 +1 rd cap SPO1 mags. It can shoot production in steel challenge also--limited to 10 rds in the mags AFTER the "make ready".

It's a DA/SA pistol. Mine has some trigger, hammer and sight work. 6/7# DA and about 2# SA. It comes NIB with two 16rd Mec-Gar mags. The CZ SPO1 19 rd mags are interchangeable.

This pistol- new -falls in your price range and can include some improvements--With some research, a used 75B can leave you enough money to buy more mags, holsters, and a Cajun Gun Works trigger kit that is impressive.

The CZ75 SA is a fine pistol for steel, but in 9mm isn't competitive in USPSA and can't be used in production class because it's SA.

Looking at polymer pistols:
In that price range Glock with required equipment offers pistols that will fit both those 9mm comps, but could use trigger and sight extras. XD might be a little above your price range. M&P the same, and also needs trigger work/kit.

You can find a used Glock that can be set for these comps in your price range.

It is fun.

Last edited by 1SOW; October 13, 2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old October 13, 2011, 06:54 AM   #12
Hunter Customs

This 9mm longslide worked real well for me when I was shooting in the steel matches.
I no longer compete, she's a safe queen now, I would consider selling the gun.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old October 15, 2011, 12:29 PM   #13
torquewrench

I went with the CZ75 SA. Thanks for the input