The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 27, 2009, 05:50 AM   #26
alloy

Well, when articles like that are used to sway opinion, and comments from the administration are factored in(since we are reading between the lines)...mandatory civilian service, federal emergency forces. Public opinion is being swaying as thoughts of a million mexis streaming across the border permeate the news. Language has been changed and there will be calls to help us avert man caused disasers as a part of your civic duty. In other words....inform on your neighbor, restore the ways of the Stasi. Like any jigsaw puzzle, the gun control conundrum is being assembled from the easy straight edges, as we work towards the center. Anti gunners have gotten smarter. Ammo as controlled substance, privacy losses, the environmental aspects of lead, required liability insurances to protect society, medical records tied to ownership/purchases thru a single pay system, registrations, curtailing arms into mexico...etc ad nauseum...will all work to cement last piece of this puzzle. Thank god for frequent elections... The intentions, are well documented, even tho they appear silent when queeried. But it is a new progressive thinking, comrade...fear is the new logic...and we are only looking out for your safety.

Last edited by alloy; March 27, 2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old March 27, 2009, 10:20 AM   #27
Glenn E. Meyer

Quote:
BTW, I am one of those lower-than-scum journalists who earns, or tries to earn, my living writing, just so you know.
Sorry to hijack, gretske - but I forgive you being one of those low than scum college professors who plan to subvert the mind of American Youth for the great conspiracy.
Old March 27, 2009, 10:06 PM   #28
MeekAndMild

Apologies all. By way of justification for the L&CR appropriateness of the inadvertent thread veer I started with my initial remark, the topics of free speech and protection of copyrighted property are both civil rights issues.

Back on topic, I think that the writer made too many generalizations to characterize present day buyers in a manner which demeaned their individual intelligence and their motivations.

Any commodity will increase in value with scarcity (semi automatic weapons during an AWB) but they will also increase in cost during a time of sudden inflation (durable goods when the money supply is suddenly doubled or tripled) and will increase in net cost when the government increases tax rates. So Wildalaska's personal observations are valid on the basis of human nature without casting aspersions on his customers calling them unlicensed gun dealers. Maybe they are just sportsmen who predict a sudden increase of the cost of their hobby.

My 2 cents, or in Obamanomic-Zimbwabe-speak, my 2 billion bucks worth.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old March 29, 2009, 09:18 AM   #29
RDak

Same old crap as in previous decades. Since 1998 there has been almost 100 million NICS checks. And there were alot of privately owned firearms before 1998.

Maybe the chicken little "sky is falling" garbage spewed out by these types of anti's would have ALREADY occurred if it was EVER going to occur. Duh!!
Old March 30, 2009, 09:53 PM   #30
jimpeel

Quote:
Maybe the chicken little "sky is falling" garbage spewed out by these types of anti's would have ALREADY occurred if it was EVER going to occur. Duh!!
Hear, hear!

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old March 30, 2009, 10:12 PM   #31
Wildalaska

Quote:
Sort of like the chicken little "sky is falling" garbage spewed out by the progunners would have ALREADY occurred if it was EVER going to occur. Duh!!

Guns aint been seized yet

WildhyperboleisnotanexclusiveconceptAlaska TM

Now watch someone try and convince me that "our" hyperbole is more valid than "their" hyperbole
Old March 30, 2009, 10:42 PM   #32
44 AMP
Staff

Of course it is!

Quote:
someone try and convince me that "our" hyperbole is more valid than "their" hyperbole
Because we are the good guys!

of course, they think the same thing!
Old March 31, 2009, 02:26 AM   #33
jimpeel

Quote:
Except in CA, NY, and New Orleans.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

Last edited by jimpeel; March 31, 2009 at 02:37 AM.
Old March 31, 2009, 02:28 AM   #34
Yellowfin

Quote:
Sort of like the chicken little "sky is falling" garbage spewed out by the progunners would have ALREADY occurred if it was EVER going to occur. Duh!!

WildhyperboleisnotanexclusiveconceptAlaska TM
It is entirely possible that the sounding of the alarm caused them to roll back their timetable a little, say till after the 2010 elections. Just because a snake hasn't bitten you yet doesn't make it not a snake.

Yellowpoliticiansplayingpolitcalgameswhodhavethunkitfin
Old March 31, 2009, 08:29 AM   #35
Wildalaska

Now watch someone try and convince me that "our" hyperbole is more valid than "their" hyperbole

Quote:
Except in CA, NY, and New Orleans.
Quote:
It is entirely possible that the sounding of the alarm caused them to roll back their timetable a little, say till after the 2010 elections. Just because a snake hasn't bitten you yet doesn't make it not a snake.
WildnostradamusAlaska TM
Old March 31, 2009, 08:30 AM   #36
RDak

Quote:

Ain't that the truth!

Did you hear about the 65 Democratic representatives sending a letter to Eric Holder stating they would oppose any gun control!!

I'm still in blissful SHOCK over that good news.

Last edited by RDak; March 31, 2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old March 31, 2009, 12:48 PM   #37
jimpeel

Quote:
And here I thought that those confiscations in CA, NY, and New Orleans really happened. Glad to know that it was mere hyperbole.