The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 8, 1999, 04:04 PM   #26
4V50 Gary
Staff

You're talking about the XGI. About 20 preproduction models were made and released for review by the gun community. Bill Ruger really didn't like the way his engineers resolved the flier problem (the 5th shot was always a flier) and figured that it would cost him at least a million to tool up for production. He could make the same amount with the Minis and not spend a million, so that's the way he went.

I saw a wax casting for the XGI receiver and while the gun was based on the Garand, it was certainly a longer receiver. I thought it was about 10" long.

Jimmy, if you ever get your mitts on the XGI, grab it, it's a keeper and it is very unlikely that Bill Ruger will ever allow that gun to see production.
Old April 17, 2002, 07:02 PM   #27
kidcoltoutlaw

if you still have the mini 30

check out this it may be of help http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tips/archive_tips.htm/1
Old April 18, 2002, 04:46 AM   #28
Duke of Lawnchair

Minis...

I have to agree with a few of the other members concerning Ruger's little carbines. In all honesty, I think they're perfect little "ranch" rifles. What I mean by that is that they're VERY light, feed two VERY commonly found cartridges, reliable (in my experiences), point easily (for me), are accurate out to short distances and are relatively inexpensive. My personal preference leans towards the standards instead of the "ranch" models. I just do not like the flip-sight on the ranch models, and this is based upon my father's mini30 which an aperture that literally drifts left and right. Note, this is just one example and have not noticed this on other ranch rifles. Irregardless, I'd rather have a standard over a ranch.

As to the Mini30 vs SKS debate, I don't have much to offer. Both are fine little rifles but I'd give the nod to the mini30. I find it much more ergonomic than the SKS.

Enjoy your rifle. If you don't, sell it and find something else that suits your wants/needs.

BTW I think that "accuracy" is a word that has many definitions for all. Service rifle and highpower shooters most likely have different standards than do the benchrest crowd.

Jim
Old April 18, 2002, 07:59 PM   #29
Ghengis

I tried the Mini-30 myself and I think the best thing about it was that I found it completely reliable with USA brand 20 round mags unlike the Mini-14. With available hi-caps that work the rifle has alot more going for it than it's .223 sibling in my opinion. Not a bad little rifle, but I the best I could manage with a 4x scope off the bench was about 2" at 50 yds with about 6 different brands of ammo. I want to like the little Rugers and if it had shot about 1-1.5" at the same distance I'd probably still have it.
Old April 18, 2002, 08:26 PM   #30
David Wile

Hey Fox,

To paraphrase Will R., I never met a gun I didn't like. Like you said, you already bought it, so enjoy it.

In semi-auto have some ARs, some M1 Garands, some AKs, some SKS, a Ljungman, and one Ruger Mini-30 sainless Ranch model. I had no need for the Mini-30, but that is true about everything else I have, too. Like Art mentioned, a three inch group at 100 yards is better than most hunters are capable of doing. We do have more accurate rifles off the rack today than we did forty years ago, but my Mini-30 sure isn't shabby. I must confess that I have no idea what it does when the barrel gets too hot. I have never fired thirty rounds out of it in less than fifteen or twenty minutes, so I really never got it "battle hot." Then again, I did not get it to do battle; I got it just because I thought it was neat, and I have never regretted it.

I bought my Mini-30 about 1995 maybe, and, at the same time, I ordered a whole bunch of 30 round magazines. It came with a dumb five round mag. The big mags I have all function properly, and I shoot my own reloaded ammunition - including cast bullets.

Like Art, I need a scope to see something at 100 yards, so I went for the Ranch model which included quick detachable mounts. I would like to also say that I can take the scope off and put it back on at the same aim point. The only problem I have with the scope mounts is that the thumbscrews need to be checked often to make sure they are still tight. Is this quick detachable scope a good thing for a battle rifle? No, but neither is a scope. Like I said before, I did not buy it for a battle rifle. I like Ruger guns, and that is all the justification I require to buy and enjoy the Mini-30.

I must admit the rear sight on my Ranch rifle is not too good. I have seen some ideas mentioned here on that issue, and I am wondering if the replacement sights mentioned can be used with the scope in place? The best thing I can say about the rear sight is that it is able to fold flat for scope use. Any insights from others about the rear sight would be appreciated.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old April 18, 2002, 08:40 PM   #31
Steve Smith

This thread is 3 years old!

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old April 18, 2002, 10:13 PM   #32
Jamie Young

I thought I was having back flashes or something.
Old April 19, 2002, 01:44 AM   #33
Hkmp5sd

I've had a SS Mini-14 for years and still like to shoot it.

Seems one thing I remember about the Mini-30 from years ago was that they recommended not using any bulk chinese/russian made 7.62x39 (back when you could buy 1000 rnds for almost nothing). Seems it had something to do with the bore size as Keith Rogan mentioned. The smaller bore causes the pressure to exceed design pressure when using the commie ammo.

NRA Life Member
Old April 19, 2002, 04:52 AM   #34
Vladimir_Berkov

That is because the Mini-30 does not have the proper bore for 7.62x39 ammunition (.311) but is set up for .308 diameter bullets. Why they did this I have no idea. The 7.62x39 is a Russian caliber, 99% of the 7.62x39 ammunition you will find on earth is Russian spec, .311. Only American 7.62x39 ammo is .308.
Old April 19, 2002, 11:49 PM   #35
David Wile

Thanks Steve,

Now I really feel the fool. My only saving face is that I was not the first dummy. Small consolation.

Best wishes folks,
Dave Wile
Old April 21, 2002, 01:29 PM   #36
Keith Rogan

I think people make way too much of the accuracy (or lack of) inherent in the Mini 14/30 design. The rifle is accurate enough to do what it is supposed to do, which is center punch a beer can at 75 yards or a deer/coyote at 200. It's a good working gun that makes no pretense at being a match rifle.

I own a nice old Russian SKS and I love to shoot it, but let's face it - it's heavier than it needs to be and not terribly egonomic. I could buy an after-market stock, detachable mag and decent sights and make it a good working rifle, but by the time I was done I'd have more invested than if I'd just bought a Mini 30 in the first place.

The Mini 14 version is almost an Alaskan Icon. Wherever you go in the interior in winter, you seem to run into a native guy with a Mini 14 strapped to his snow machine. They love these rifles because they are reliable under any weather conditions and they simply don't worry about whether that caribou gets knocked down with one or a half dozen shots. Load up some FMJ's and knock down a wolf or other furbearer. Load up some soft points and perforate a moose's ribs till he falls down. No problem.

It's a reliable working rifle - nothing more, nothing less. Enjoy it!

Keith
Old March 23, 2007, 04:58 AM   #37
Doggieman

I fully agree

Somebody was talking about post-2005 mini 30s being more accurate due to a burlier barrel. Any truth in this?
Old January 1, 2009, 11:14 PM   #38
pfl101

Ten years ago the accuracy of the Mini's was being called into question.

I am considering getting one (as opposed to going the AR-15 off-list lower route) for home defense/plinking. I have been told that Ruger updated them and that they're more accurate than before (although nothing like a good AR).

Anyone care to weigh in one way or the other?
Old January 1, 2009, 11:56 PM   #39
Rifleman 173

Mini 14s have a place in some guys' arsenals. Not mine any more. I've owned 3 of them and won't buy any more of them. Don't get me wrong. If I were desperate and came across a Mini 14 or Mini 30 I would try to adapt it to work for me. But because I've learned my lesson with previous Mini 14s, I'm not going to voluntarily buy any more of them when a decent AR-15 or M-4 clone will outdo the Mini 14s right out of the box for accuracy. The SKS does out-shoot the Mini 30. Every now and again, legend has it that Ruger puts out a really accurate Mini 14 or Mini 30. Trouble is that legend also tells us that there is a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow too. And, of course, there is the famous, "Sure. I'll respect you in the morning..." But I digress. Mini 14s and Mini 30s can be made to be more accurate if you are willing and have the time and money to spend to fix something that shouldn't be in the majority of the Ruger firearms in the first place. Trouble is that I should NOT have to ship my Ruger firearm to Timbuktu to have a voodoo shaman dance around my gun, drip chicken blood on it and have him set a cryogenic frozen heavy barrel on it for all the family's monies for the next 6 generations. C'mon!!
Old January 2, 2009, 12:54 AM   #40
New_Pollution1086

I was 12 when this post was first made. I didn't look at the date and I was like uhh Y2K is over [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]. it has been revived twice before now.

there are other threads about the mini system if you look around.

T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old January 2, 2009, 12:58 AM   #41
Ignition Override

As an older gun novice who only enjoys shooting objects (versus paper) at short range, standing with iron sights,
Minis are ideal, although a good SKS can cost a bit less for the same purpose.

For simple fun, the only problem with the 14 is the higher price of ammo.
Have the 14 and 30. The classic American military styling of these type rifles has always appealed to me.
Won't mention Russian styles in this topic...

Last edited by Ignition Override; January 2, 2009 at 01:07 AM.
Old January 2, 2009, 01:42 AM   #42
ndking1126

That's crazy, this thread has now been resurected 3x.. that's gotta be close to a record!

Rifleman, I kinda gotta disagree with you on this one. If you are going to make it a money matter, people drop all sorts of money on their ARs just to make it look a certain way. Granted a plane jane AR (now costing $900?? instead of $650) very well outshoot a Mini with some work done on it, but the performance gap probably isn't that big. When you consider the fact that Mini's are cheaper, especially if you buy a used one, you've got a fair amount of $$ to put into until you are at the price of an AR. Also, I've read there are a few things you can do that make a noteworthy difference in the accuracy that don't cost a thing.. they say there are some screws you can re-torque to a correct amount of pressure, for example.

But seriously, to each his own. Doesn't bother me one way or the other if you decide to never purchase a Mini again. I just don't understand how people can drop $1800 on an AR and then call you nuts when you spend $1500 on an accurized Mini simply because they have a bad reputaion of not being accurate to begin with. Certainly their reliabillity has never been brought into question like the AR has (although I don't believe they have reliability issues anymore like some people claim)

****So I just went to my normal websites to double check the prices I quoted and they have taken down the prices and said "price on request". So I might not be spot on with that number. But either way, I still feel my point is valid as that was just a rough number for comparison.

Last edited by ndking1126; January 2, 2009 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Explanation