The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 14, 2005, 12:06 PM   #1
Avizpls

Any Other Weapon

What do I need to do to legally cut a barrel of mine to less than 18"?

I have a ATF form OMB no. 1140-0014, but Im not sure if thats what I need, and how to fill it out.

Thanks
Old December 14, 2005, 03:08 PM   #2
Henry Baker

Is it already registered as AOW? Or is it just a normal shotgun?
Old December 14, 2005, 03:12 PM   #3
too many choices!?

NMI?(need more info)

You are building an AOW? That will run you a $200,"making tax", to be marginally involved,"in the business of making NFA firearms". If you buy an AOW from a class 2 sot or manufacturer it is only a $5 ,"transfer tax/fee". If you are still going to do it yourself, FILE ALL PAPERWORK FIRST, ONCE APPROVED AND PAPERWORK IS BACK IN HAND(PARTICULARLY THE TAX STAMP), THEN YOU CAN CUT THE BARREL DOWN YOURSELF...Should take a few months from what I hear.
Old December 14, 2005, 03:16 PM   #4
Avizpls

Well, yes, I supposed I'd be building an NFA weapon. Two to be exact. A shotgun and a rifle. I want to cut both to about 16 inches.

Are you saying I cant since I'm not involved in manufacture?
Old December 14, 2005, 04:07 PM   #5
too many choices!?

No!

I am saying that to cut the barrels it will make you involved in manufacture, as far as the law is concerned. Then there are the state laws to deal with. If you leave the stocks on the rifle and shotgun, you will have to pay $200/firearm you want to cut down. The rifle is legal with a more than 16" long barrel but the shotgun would require the $200 dollar fee, and tax stamp, BEFORE you cut the shotgun barrel below 18" or you have violated federal law. If I need to be clearer, I can. I am not making this stuff up is the sad part. Used to be a gun was a gun, and a criminal was a criminal .
Old December 14, 2005, 07:27 PM   #6
Avizpls

Ok, so I can make the rifle 16.5 inches with no paper work?

I hope i dont come off as ignorant...cuz I am. I want to do this, but have no intentions of violating a law.

Thanks for the help Too Many
Old December 14, 2005, 08:22 PM   #7
MeekAndMild

When figuring the minimum barrel lengths for a non-registered rifle best err on the side of too long than too short. IIRC the entire Randy Weaver mini-war was fought over a quarter inch of barrel.

Also, best inquire of state laws as well as Federal. I almost made a huge mistake starting the Federal paperwork and putting out a down payment to buy a SBR until I found out my state forbade them. NFA dealer I nearly bought the thing from didn't tell me (he sold mostly to LEOs, for which the state law is different) but I would have been out the tax and the down payment.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old December 15, 2005, 01:25 PM   #8
too many choices!?

Yep! 16.5 is the least I would go for a rifle!Rifles need atleast a 26" total length

The ATF ruler is probably a,"slide rule". . The shotgun would need federal registration of the receiver(the $200 tax stamp first part) and then you could(if your state allows Short Barreled Shotguns) cut the thing to whatever length you wanted.

Just to be clear, an AOW would have NO stock and a non-removable(not readily removable atleast) forward pistol grip, or atleast most do.
Old December 15, 2005, 01:51 PM   #9
craigntx

my uzi w/ 16 in. bbl is 24 inch oal

just depends on yer state
Old December 15, 2005, 02:24 PM   #10
Avizpls

I understand the rifle now.

The shotgun, if done as I desire, would have a less than 16" barrel, pistol grip forend, and pistol/typical stock in the rear. Much like an AR15s back half.

Does that change anything?
Old December 16, 2005, 11:39 AM   #11
fal308
Staff Alumnus

If you put a stock on it, it will be an SBS (short barreled shotgun). An AOW can never legally have any stock on it. Once a stock has been mounted, it becomes an SBS. The tax to make it will still be the same but if you're buying, then the tax to buy an SBS (if legal in your area per state/local regs) is $200. All NFA except AOW has a $200 tax stamp. AOW is the only $5 tax stamp.
And according to BATFE, once a xxxxx, always a xxxxx (shotgun, machinegun etc). In other words, you can't switch back and forth from an AOW to an SBS and back.
Old December 16, 2005, 12:38 PM   #12
too many choices!?

Yep, FAL308 has it down...

If you go shorter than sixteen, add the pistol grip, and the stock, this configuration is an SBS. If your state allows them, and you are not a prohibited person on the 4473, then you will be approved. Once approved with TAX STAMP IN HAND, then you can cut the barrel down below 18". If you have an AOW you CAN NOT ADD A STOCK, or I am NOT sure if you can or can't REMOVE THE PISTOL GRIP...If you go the SBS route,the only way to go IMHO, you can make your SBS look like an AOW, and still be legal by removing the stock and leaving the pistol grip, which could be very handy...Hmmmm, you've got me thinking now. My PDW/AR-15 pistol could use a short barreled friend .