The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old February 22, 2007, 04:48 PM   #1
ebd10

Jim Zumbo

OK, let me just say that this is a serious proposal; now that Jim Zumbo is on everybody's fecal roster, I suggest that SWAT magazine hire him on as a writer. He could be featured every issue while learning about the various types of semi-auto rifles, plus self defense handguns and whatnot. He would definitely be out of his element and, I am sure, willing to participate in the process. It would be interesting to see his transformation from someone who is indifferent to AR's to an enthusiastic owner. JMHO
"And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive ...? "
Alexander Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
ebd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2007, 05:28 PM   #2
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Probably won't happen. In his apolgy, Mr. Zumbo repeatedly said how he had seen the light that ARs can be legitimate hunting rifles. The Second Amendment has absolutely nothing to do with wacking Bambi. I truly don't think he gets the point.

What I can do is out out some feelers with different instructors to see if they would invite him to attend a carbine course. If they would, and if he would accept, and if he could complete a high-stress class at age 67 (no disrepect intended) I may consider running an article written by him.

That's a lot of "ifs".
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2007, 05:42 PM   #3
ebd10

Fair enough. I suspect that he will be much more willing to participate now than he ever was. I realize he's 67 but, he's been tromping through hill and dale for 200 days a year for a loooong time. I suspect that he's not your typical 67 y/o duffer. He may not take top honors but I'll bet he doesn't quit, either.

As for the 2A argument; this is a golden opportunity to educate him while using this controversy to put AR's and AK's in positive light. It might make an interesting "in your face" to the anti's by displaying their poster boy in full color while he learns the ins and outs of the AR-15 platform. I also think that the crossover from hunting to tactical shooting might be an interesting take, also.

Anyhow, that's just my two cents. YMMV
"And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive ...? "
Old February 22, 2007, 05:46 PM   #4
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Email out to several instructors.
Old February 22, 2007, 07:16 PM   #5
Jack19

What Mr. Zumbo does not now understand, and he and the elitist gun owners have never understood, is that, as it was 231 years ago....

"We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Ben Franklin, 1776.

Your hunting rifle, Jim, if you're listening, is the anti's "sniper rifle." I'm all for defending your right to own and use yours, why don't you defend my right to own and use mine?

Denny, I'd at least give him the rope to...er...room to answer the above?
Old February 22, 2007, 07:47 PM   #6
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Several instructors have stated they would allow Mr. Zumbo to attend a carbine course to get a view of the other side of the coin. Contact message out to him to see if he'll take them up on the offer.
Old February 23, 2007, 03:23 PM   #7
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Instructor and location chosen. Public invitation to Mr. Zumbo posted on Ted Nugents board.
http://nugeboard.tednugent.com/ubb/F...ML/287127.html

He has accepted the offer. Let's hope something good can come from all this.

Denny
Old February 23, 2007, 04:32 PM   #8
ebd10

Denny:
I applaud your generosity. Your willingness to allow Mr. Zumbo the opportunity to redeem himself (somewhat) speaks volumes about your character. You can now count me among your devoted readers.

I am looking forward to the issue with the Zumbo article.
Old February 23, 2007, 04:36 PM   #9
pax

Denny ~

I have to congratulate you on this one. Absolutely brilliant way to turn the whole ugly mess into something positive for all of us.

May your tribe increase!

pax
Old February 23, 2007, 04:40 PM   #10
Musketeer

I must say this is certainly a step forward. Mr. Zumbo will never fully recover from his faux pas but this is a big step in the right direction. I too am not satisfied with his apology as it seemed to only validate ARs since they can be used for hunting.

Education is the answer to most things. Hopefully if someone like Zumbo, who still carries weight with the "I'm a hunter not an assult weapon owning gun nut" crowd can see the light, and very real danger of his previous position, he can then serve to educate others. I have always felt one of the greatest groups of enemies of the 2A were those elitist hunters who were more than willing to sell the rest of us down the river. Perhaps Mr. Zumbo's education can help change that.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Musketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2007, 04:41 PM   #11
Musketeer

I am not a SWAT reader... I already digest a couple other publications more suited to my shooting interests. Please post when the Zumbo article is going to appear because I will make a point of buying it!

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Musketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2007, 05:25 PM   #12
exar

Yes, please post the publication date of your magazine with Zumbo, as I will be buying it as well.
exar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2007, 05:38 PM   #13
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Which issue is not for sure yet, but it will be as soon as possible.

Denny
Old February 23, 2007, 06:19 PM   #14
Mal H
Staff

I love it when a plan comes together!

Excellent idea ebd10 and congratulations to Denny for making it happen. Man oh man, things are certainly happening fast in these days of the internet, eh?

A man makes a life altering blunder, is completely castigated one day with practically a total loss of income, and is authoring an article about the very subject he had zero knowledge of the next day. (Ok, it'll take a lot longer than a day, but it is all happening very rapidly.)

Can't wait for that article.
Mal H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2007, 12:47 PM   #15
ebd10

Quote:
Excellent idea ebd10 and congratulations to Denny for making it happen. Man oh man, things are certainly happening fast in these days of the internet, eh?
Thanks. Occasionally I get two brain cells firing simultaneously and then something happens (usually a sneeze). Denny deserves the kudos because he is taking a risk on Zumbo, not only in the fact that Zumbo might fold under pressure, but in the possibility that there could be some negative repercussions for the magazine. I just wish I could be there to see Zumbo go through the course!
Old February 24, 2007, 06:07 PM   #16
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

Denny (and Rich),

Very cool. Very, very cool.

LawDog

Bona na Croin

The LawDog Files
LawDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2007, 10:55 PM   #17
22-rimfire

I'll subscribe to your magazine if Zumbo writes an article. As it stands now, I look at it at the newstand and buy it ocasionally. The article or series of articles that might come out of it would potentially be quite interesting and might serve the 2A and hunting cause.
22-rimfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2007, 06:44 AM   #18
Hugh Jardonne

Guys

This is terrific- some people use the phrase "leave no man behind" but here is a crew who is living that ethic.

My hat's off to you...
Hugh Jardonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2007, 08:03 PM   #19
Rich Lucibella
Staff

All credit to Denny on this.
I've been out of pocket, but I support the direction completely.

Well done, Denny.
Rich
Rich Lucibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2007, 09:00 PM   #20
4V50 Gary
Staff

Nice going Denny.
Old February 26, 2007, 07:42 AM   #21
VaughnT

I couldn't be happier to hear this. Zumbo screwed up, but that's something we have all done at one time or another. The only difference is that Zumbo did it where everybody and their son could see it.

I don't hunt (though I once did and I used a "sporting" rifle of wood and iron), but I still like to shoot and do not see lambasting Zumbo to be in our best interests over the long term. He screwed up in a big way, but we should show the world that we are bigger than that and give him a second chance.

Kudos to all for giving him this chance.
Old February 26, 2007, 11:07 AM   #22
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Thanks everyone, including ebd10 for prompting me to go ahead with an idea I had been kicking around.

Just for clarification, this is not about giving Jim Zumbo a second chance to get back into the writing game. It is about presenting a united front to the anti-gun movement and our elected representatives. The ’08 elections are just around the corner and we need to speak out loudly as one voice, not fragmented sections.

Denny
Old February 26, 2007, 11:10 AM   #23
ebd10

Quote:
Thanks everyone, including ebd10 for prompting me to go ahead with an idea I had been kicking around.
Thank YOU. This will be an interesting turn of events. And as for prompting? Heck, when it comes to inspiration, I'm full of it!!
Old February 26, 2007, 05:18 PM   #24
AZTOY

Denny & ebd10

Good Job!!
AZTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2007, 08:43 PM   #25
FrontSight

Yayayayay, everyone deserves a second chance, otherwise we are nothing but a society of savages
FrontSight is offline   Reply With Quote