The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Do you carry handloads in your personal carry handgun?
No. Factory ammo only. 43 67.19%
Yes, I carry handloads, or would if I reloaded. 21 32.81%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 7, 2005, 07:43 AM   #26
donkee

HEY, maybe one of us will get busted for using handloads and Ayoob will come to our defense! He'd have a case to prove his assumption!
Old October 7, 2005, 08:20 AM   #27
m0ntels

If I use the same bullet, case, primer, and equivilent powder charge putting together a Golden Saber or Silvertip, the only difference between one I made and one Rem or Win made is what machine it was done on. I at least have the capability to double and triple check each step of the work being done as opposed to a mindless machine mass producing something. I dont put some kind of voodoo hoodoo inside with my powder charge...that's not in any of my load books. Put a properly made handload next to a factory load, and who could tell the difference?

I wouldnt have a problem using Nyclads, Hydrashocks, or whatever. The problem comes in when someone wants almost $1/rd for a premium pistol bullet for something I can duplicate with more quality control for about 10 cents per round. I cannot practice with my carry ammo that way, and if I didnt reload, I couldnt afford to shoot, period. The only factory rounds I buy are rimfires for obvious reasons.

Randy