The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 5, 2009, 11:29 PM   #1
dsv424

Problem with a Llama 111a

A friend of mine gave me his gun to fix. Don't know what I got myself into, but he said his son took it apart for one reason or another and then lost some pieces when he got around to re-assembling it. So before I could even begin to check it out I had to find a slide stop, recoil spring, slide stop guide, and barrel bushing. So I have already invested $75.00 in this gun.
Well now after cleaning years of gunk out of it and re-assembling it with the parts I found I have another problem. I noticed when I mounted the slide on the frame I could not pull the slide all the way back, in fact I had to use a rubber mallet so I could pound it back and forth on the guides. For about 2 hours I worked it back and forth and cleaned the slide grooves as best I could so now it is hanging slightly. So now when the gun is fully assembled and I pull the slide back I have to sometimes tap it forward so the chamber closes.

My question is can I file the slide grooves slightly without damaging anything, because I think this is where my problem lies? Or could it be something worse like a bent frame. Thx for any advise.
Old November 6, 2009, 07:46 AM   #2
mega twin

I'd lay a straight edge on the frame and slide rails to see if it were bent,before I started filing on the thing.
Could it be that boy wanted to be a 1911 guru and did his own slide tightening?
Old November 7, 2009, 06:52 AM   #3
10-96

Does it hang up when only the slide and frame are assembled? What happens when you slide it back and forth without the newly acquired guts? Also I wonders about the bbl link, bushing, and general bbl fitting.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 7, 2009, 07:20 PM   #4
dsv424

It would hang and be very stiff with just the slide and frame. Since my first post I have cleaned the grooves in the frame and the slide and have worked it back and forth probably 1,000 times. It is getting a lot more easier to slide but it is still a bit stiff. I think if I keep working it I might be able to make it smooth again. I have a funny feeling that this gun has been ignored for a few years! Can't get the whole story from the son.
Old November 9, 2009, 12:26 PM   #5
10-96

Unless it's been in a car wreck, vice, or a slide tool- slides gen'erly don't grow shut over time or with lots of shooting. If you're adventuresome- you might check Brownells for a tool made for just a situation.

OK, never mind- I just went there and couldn't find it. But, you might cut a thing strip or two of aluminum can to lay inside the grooves and then use a soft face or dead blow hammer to tap the slide on and off.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.