The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 17, 2007, 09:45 AM   #1
Ned Christy

SASS legal main match revolver?

Does anyone here know if the Colt 1862 police would be a SASS legal main match revolver? It's a five shot but has pins between chambers for the hammer nose to rest on. Seems to me that a pair of them would be great for shooting Duelest catagory! Thanks,

Ned
Old March 17, 2007, 05:35 PM   #2
KpdPipes

As far as i Know, Yes they are SASS legal, the only time you MIGHT have problems is with some of the heaver popper-type targets..That said, as long as you dont Mouse-load you should be able to knock over anything out there.
Old March 17, 2007, 08:06 PM   #3
Molasses

Maybe it'd be a good idea to ask over on the SASS Wire?

http://sassnet.com/forums/

Someone like Pale Wolf Brunelle should jump in and be able to give you a definitive answer.

I looked at the most current SASS rulebook that I have laying around (12th ed) and I'm not certain. Five shooters ARE okay, and can be loaded with 5, "but the hammer must rest on a dummy chamber or safety slot in the cylinder..."(p33) The way the SASS rules get parsed, analysed and rigorously examined down to the individual word anymore, I'm not certain they'd have it in those particular words if they meant to allow resting the hammer on Colt-style pins as an acceptable arrangement. Or not.:barf:
It was SO much easier back when the game was newer.
Old March 17, 2007, 10:44 PM   #4
ahankster

OK,
First off, the "wire" is nothing like nor even remotely reflects what SASS or CASS is. Some of the most vocal people on the wire are either new people or folks that have lost sight of the sport and are jaded. SASS/CASS is much bigger and better than the wire.
Want to really find out about cowboy action, go to your local club and forget about any forums. There, you will find the true meaning of shooting cowboy.
The wire is populated, mostly by people that like to see themselves talk, (I go there to on occaision) and people that feel (although they just started shooting) that they should be automatically competitive.

Anyway, try your local club. Just because people may not like it (your pistol) on the wire, you will find that most clubs operate on a bring it and shoot it principle. Almost every club I have ever had the pleasure of visiting, is very eager to loan leather, rounds and even guns to those that have never tried CASS. Most clubs would rather give a person lots of leeway and allow guns that are not "exactly" by the rules, than live with the thought that they might have run someone off.

Basically, go on the SASS wire. Look at the affiliated clubs list and go to the state you reside in. Find the closest club to you and go visit. Don't depend on this or any other forum for your info.
When you get there, you will find a bunch of people from all ages, ethnic, economic and educational backgrounds. They will welcome you with open arms no matter what you bring and you WILL have fun.

SASS is a kickinthass.
If you find out different, please post here so I can help get you to a club that will help get you involved.
Hank
Old March 18, 2007, 08:27 AM   #5
Molasses

I agree with ahankster that if you haven't at least checked out the local clubs, maybe gone to a shoot or two to spectate and ask questions (assuming they didn't grab you and shove gear at you to participate ), then that'd be a good first step before spending money... That's assuming that Ned isn't already with a club or doesn't have any experience at cowboy shooting.

I also agree that the Wire is a horrible representation of what CAS is about. For a loooong time, I've only read about 1 thread in 20-30 on there because of the stupid stuff. Asking a question there like "Is my _____ okay to use?" will certainly get a lot of uninformed opinion and off-subject recommendations, etc. HOWEVER, there are some Territorial Governors and other informed individuals that keep an eye open for posts regarding rules and legality issues and chime in with definitive answers. Which is what the point of this thread is...whether or not a particular revolver would be a SASS-legal main match gun.

It'd well and truly suck to stick the money into a pair of revolvers with the idea of using them at shoots and only then discover that:
  • 1. The rules don't allow 'em
  • 2. Maybe the local club IS strict on enforcing the rules
  • -AND/OR-
  • 3. You want to go to an official State or above match and can't use 'em there.
My original advice to Ned still stands; get a definitive answer to the legality question first...with the caveat that if you haven't at least tried the sport already, do yourself a favor and go to a shoot before spending a dime on gear.
Old March 18, 2007, 09:37 PM   #6
Ned Christy

Molasses,
I've been shooting at the cowboy shoots for several years now, but I have always used .45s and shot traditional class. Recently I had a back injury and thought that the lesser weight of the .36 cal. 62s would be easier on my back. You have given me some excellent advise but I cannot locate Pale Wolf Brunelle at the SASS wire and in fact the SASS wire does seem to me to be unnecessarily vague.
Old March 19, 2007, 05:40 PM   #7
Molasses

Ned; my original advice was kinda given under the assumption that you were into the game already. Wasn't until after I read ahankster's post that I realized it could be from someone trying to set up for the game without having tried it. Sorry if the result seemed condescending.

Anyhow, went over to the Wire and did a little searching. Found out that PWB has his alias set up with the first two words bumped together. Sent a personal message explaining the situation and asking the question you originally posted. I'll quote the reply when I get it...

Last edited by Molasses; March 20, 2007 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Got the answer-removing erroneous text
Old March 20, 2007, 05:27 PM   #8
Molasses

Here's the scoop:

Below is the reply I got to my inquiry. Looks like my inclination to go with the letter of how it was printed in the rules is wrong. [shrug]This is the kind of thing where I'm glad to be wrong.

Quote:
Hau Molasses,
I received a similar inquiry a month or so ago on this issue.
The RO Committee agreed that the 1862 Pocket Police would be legal as a Main Match pistol as long as the barrel length is over 4 inches.
IF it is 4" or shorter, it is considered to be a POCKET PISTOL and, according to the rules, CANNOT be used as a main match revolver:
Pocket pistols may not be used as or converted to main match revolvers.
Shooters Handbook (page 13)

The following is the "official word" regarding the Colt-style "pins" on 5-shot revolvers:
The allowance of 5-shooters with pinned cylinders and safety notches on the hammer not being listed was simply oversight when the rule was "rushed" thru to allow 5-shooters with SOME kind of provision for the hammer to be secured off of the primers/nipples.
(this from Tex hisself...most hammers are notched regardless of whether the cylinders have the pins).

Regardez,
PWB

--------------------

PaleWolf Brunelle
Old March 20, 2007, 08:19 PM   #9
Ned Christy

Molasses,

Thanks a lot for your perseverance! That information makes my day - now I can shoot duelist without hurting my back further. Only problem now is how to afford a pair!

Ned
Old March 20, 2007, 08:31 PM   #10
Steve499

Well, Ned, I've heard the old devil buys souls.

Steve

Last edited by Steve499; March 20, 2007 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Kaint spel
Old March 20, 2007, 09:28 PM   #11
Ned Christy

Steve,

Thats an idea, but mine's probably too tarnished to interest him.

Ned
Old March 26, 2007, 06:50 PM   #12
O.S.O.K.

money money money

Hey Ned - go look around the garage, attick, etc. and see what's floating around there. Then go to fleabay and check the value of these items - you may be able to scrounge up some funds like that!

Another idea if you are good with a digital camera and working the auctions is to find a local ffl dealer who is computer deficient and offer to list his guns for him on gun broker - I'm doing this with my local dealer/friend and the deal is that I get any money over what he needs. Just gotta have a good eye for what'll sell. I just earned $250 over the "needed" price on a revolver - but I'm going to split this with him - still not bad - $125 for just a little time playing on the box.... its pretty sweet as he handles all payment, ffl transfer stuff, packing and shipping - but he's happy as a clam - that revolver sat in his shop for 3 months.