The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 20, 2000, 03:54 PM   #1
LASur5r

Today, I was checking a new Wells Fargo bank inside a supermarket. When I was finished talking to the contractor building the office, I walked off towards the market exit. I was thinking of my next stop and I walked through a line of people and almost walked on to the heels of a armored car guard watching the rear of the guard with the money bags. He already had his gun(S & Klinton 4513)half way out to ward off any potential attack, when I come up on his blind side (right).
By the time he noticed me, I was directly behind him and he went for a startled draw (almost dropped it)...I stopped and went to his left veering off and away from him as if I hadn't noticed his frantic attempt to keep his semi-auto in his hand without dropping it or accidentally shooting someone.

I know, I know...my first faux pas was not paying attention, but once I saw the drawing action begin...what should I have done?
Old October 20, 2000, 05:54 PM   #2
Secmat

Explained the value of good and continuous training?

------------------
"Those who dance are thought mad by those that don't hear the music."
Old October 22, 2000, 11:12 AM   #3
Correia

You did the right thing. I talked to a guy who worked for an armored car company a long time ago. He said, as a gun person, that he shot and trained more on his own, than all of his coworkers combined.

So odds are that if you push one of these guys the wrong way, you might not wind up with a really tactically sound response.
Old October 24, 2000, 07:54 AM   #4
David Scott

Step one would be to get your empty hands in plain sight, then apologize loudly for not watching where you're going. Back off, make your behavior as non-threatening as possible.