The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 21, 2009, 12:24 AM   #1
Super-Dave

Remington 870 and cheap winchester shells

Do all remington 870s have problems with extracting the cheap winchester shells?

I assume this is because of the aluminum base instead of the brass.

If it is a problem with all remington 870s is there something that can be done like polish the chamber or anything?

George Orwell
Old December 21, 2009, 06:40 AM   #2
RoscoeC

Quote:
Do all remington 870s have problems with extracting the cheap winchester shells?
Neither of mine seem to have an issue with them. I have 2 870 Express. The problem is reported most often in the Express models, not so much the Wingmaster. This may be because the ratio of Express sales to Wingmaster sales is very high, so we just don't hear about the Wingmaster so much, or it could just be that it doesn't have the issue.

If you will use the search feature you will find that polishing chambers and how to do so has been discussed to death. There are a number of techniques.
NRA Life Member
Old December 21, 2009, 08:51 AM   #3
Super-Dave

So if you have an 870 that has problems extracting the winchesters, if you polish the chamber the problem goes away?

So the problem is some chambers are too tight, and its not an extractor problem.

George Orwell
Old December 21, 2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Dustin0

I had the same problem withb remington shell in my 870 express. Polishing the chamber fixed it. I asked the Remington rep at an NRA show about it. The chabmers are ruff on the cheaper 870s. You can clean it up with steal wool.
Old December 21, 2009, 12:25 PM   #5
zippy13

Super-Dave, when discussing R-870s it's best to avoid painting them with a too wide brush. Don't say, "all" Remington 870s…
It's a product line not a specific gun. Tell us which one you have in mind: R-870 Wingmaster, R-870 Express or R-870 Law Enforcement. I thought it was common knowledge that R-870 Expresses generally function smoother after some attention is given to polishing rough chambers.

I have another angle on the extraction problem: Many R-870 Expresses are their owners first gun and aren't properly cleaned. I have a special brush just for 12-ga chambers. I must confess, I didn't get it until I got my first tube set. I found the typical bore brush wasn't sufficient. Without using the chamber brush, the tubs fit too tight because of unseen chamber gunk. I suspect few R-870 Express owners take the extra time required to thoroughly clean their chambers either initially or routinely.
Old December 21, 2009, 08:39 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

FYI, Super Dave......

Number Six here is a WM made in 1955 that I've put a couple thousand rounds through. It chokes on Gun Clubs with both the original barrel and the new LC Remchoked one I bought it for its 50th B Day.

Frankenstein's had quite few rounds through it,between MD's Dept of Correction and me. It doesn't like Gun Clubs or Wincheapos either.

Frank left Ilion in 1973.

I haven't felt the need to mike the heads of the offending rounds. I just use decent quality stuff in those guns.

BTW, the same GCs worked fine in the Beretta O/U.
Old December 22, 2009, 02:05 AM   #7
hometheaterman

When I used to shoot a 870 Super Magnum express it had a problem with those shells. I had the chamber polished and it fixed the problem. Shot them fine after that.
Old December 24, 2009, 12:44 PM   #8
smalltownguy

just tried them in a friends 870 express mag
no go with about 20%
fed every thing else no probs

Last edited by smalltownguy; December 26, 2009 at 09:28 AM. Reason: i dont speel goob