The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 23, 2006, 02:30 AM   #1
[email protected]

Problems with shooting 9mm reloads

I just reloaded 500rds of 9mm.
OAL is between 1.160-1.169 inches
Brass- Winchester
Primer - CCI 500
Bullet- Winchester 115 FMJ Flat Base
Powder- Win 231

I used 4.6 grains, but at times my scale would say 3.1 grains.
I went yesterday to shoot my reloads, and every round i shot, the cases would either not eject or get stove piped, or caught in the slide. My thumbs hurt from pulling back the slide 500 times.

I was thinking that maybe my scale was off and instead of using 4.6 gn, I was putting in 3.1gn. Would this be the reason for the stove pipes and failure to eject? If not can anyone give me advice.
Old April 23, 2006, 03:59 AM   #2
mjrodney

Problems with shooting 9mm reloads

The 48th edition of the Lyman manual calls for a minimum starting load of 4.5g of 231 for a 100 grain rn fmj.

A 90g jhp requires a minimum starting load of 4.0g and a 95g fmj is shown at 3.7.

Perhaps a long hard look at your scale is warranted.
Old April 23, 2006, 05:34 AM   #3
English Bob

check weights and powder measure technique

E,

It would be a good idea to have some check weights for your scale. You can use them to make sure your scale is reading properly. If your scale is digital, you should calibrate it before you start reloading.

If you were using a powder measure to throw your charges you may have ended up with some light loads. It happens for a number of reasons but one of the most common is not cycling the lever exactly the same for each throw.

When I first started handloading I weighed each charge by hand to make sure it was right on. When I started using a powder measure I would check the charges very frequently. I also practiced with it by setting it for the charge I wanted and then dispensing the powder into the scale pan and weighing each charge. That way I could see if I was being consistant or not.

By the way, 9mm was one of the first cartridges I started reloading too.

Take your time, be careful, and have fun.

Good luck.
Old April 23, 2006, 07:09 AM   #4
JDG

A+ for checking your scale
What kind of powder measure are you using?
I checked my cheap Lee scale, after zeroing it, with a hornady 55gr bullet, it is amazingly accurate. After checking a few, I was very confident my scale was right. By the way, its a smart and safe practice to keep your OAL to max, like you did.Check the loaded cartridge in your guns chamber to see if it drops in flush, any time you change bullet profiles.
Old April 23, 2006, 08:39 AM   #5
Marlin.357

You've gotten good advice.

To answer your basic question if your loads were actually 3.1 grains that would account for the stovepipes and the failures to eject. My manuals show a start load of 4.3 grains.

When working up a new load start with a reasonable number of rounds say 10-15. Much easier than hand cycling 500 rounds!

Another issue is that with these low powered rounds you may have gotten one that didn't have enough pressure to get the bullet out of the barrel, follow that with a full power round might get you a blown-up gun.

Concur with everyone that you have a issue with weighing the charges. Did you weigh every charge, or did you set the measure to what should have been 4.6 grains?
Old April 23, 2006, 11:20 AM   #6
918v

Please don't take this the wrong way, but why in heck would you load 500 rounds with a 30% powder weight variance? Reloading requires attention to detail. If you're sloppy, you'll damage your gun.
Old April 23, 2006, 11:31 AM   #7
Leftoverdj

"Minimum Starting Load" does not mean "this will work in every pistol". You gotta do some test firing before you load large batches.

Most of us have gotten stung on this, but it only takes once.
Old April 23, 2006, 05:13 PM   #8
Poygan

I reload various pistol rounds and have found the 9mm the most difficult to get consistency with cast bullets. Concur with loading 500 rounds at one time without trying the load out first. Also concur with your powder charges need to be much more consistent and that is particularly true with a high pressure cartridge like the 9mm. I've had a mild load go to over pressure by increasing about .3 grains! Be thankful you were loading under instead of over or you could have had real problems. Deep seating of the bullet upon cycling can also increase the pressuse significantly. The brass will work-harden with repeated resizing and the bullet will not fit the case as tight so telescoping into the case can and usually will result. Then you can play the "why doesn't the fired primer have any firing pin indentations" game.