The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 2, 2011, 12:20 PM   #26
rem44m

Quote:
I just don't see the risks inherent in halloween that would lead me to a much higher state of awareness and armed status.

yes, either a pistol or rifle is moved closer to the door, but that isn't necessarily because I'm afraid for myself. I'm worried about angry drunks, predators hunting children, domestic disputes, and so forth.

I see the risk of trouble on halloween night as being barely higher than normal, and I freely admit that keeping a firearm close at hand smells like paranoia. I actually feel a little silly doing it.
I wish I didn't feel the need to a heightened awareness on Halloween but this news article tells me otherwise

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=960...orilla-costume

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=960...alloween-night

My point being whether provoked or not, some use costumes on Halloween as a tool to commit a crime.
Old November 2, 2011, 07:00 PM   #27
DasGuy

How did you know for sure they weren't airsoft?

Many airsoft guns are so realistic that you cannot tell whether they are real or not until you check the chamber/ barrel. Regardless, still obviously a good idea to treat them as real until you know for sure otherwise.
Old November 2, 2011, 08:55 PM   #28
briandg

by "heightened awareness" I am not implying that I hang around like a sheep drinking beer in front of the tube. I am already on alert, day in, day out. The only thing I feel any need to do on halloween is prepare for the door to be opened for dozens of strangers, and as I said, at that point, the gun comes out of the closet.

I'm already anticipating trouble. Whether the trouble comes to the door wearing a ball cap or a gorilla mask, what is the difference? In most communities, I believe, halloween is no more dangerous than the day before, or the day after.

As I said, I choose a rifle on halloween. On halloween, I feel that there is at least a small chance that trouble will occur, and it won't necessarily be inside my doors.

Ten years ago, a young girl claimed to have been abducted and raped from a street corner outside my house. 50 feet from my front door. There were doubts about her statement. There was a gang murder down the street from my house, two people shot. None of this happened on halloween, but I still prepare for the minute possibility of danger or violence to rise.
Old November 3, 2011, 08:41 PM   #29
4V50 Gary
Staff

(moved to more appropriate forum)

Situational awareness. Have it and use it. Kudos to OP for spotting real guns on the Buzz Lightyear soldier.

At THR, there's a terrific picture of one member's daughter who's wearing a big rimmed hat and wielding a side by side. I had to ask if that was trick or treat or just plain old fashion armed robbery.
Old November 4, 2011, 03:30 AM   #30
BlackFeather

I didn't bother worrying about a gun, but as always I had a knife with me. I handed out candy, as a vampire. I look the part, long black hair, facial hair, and had some neat fangs. Parents looked at me funny, I looked at the parents who were acting weird, and the attractive young mothers got a few more looks from me. Can't help it, it's nature.

No armed trick or treaters, but this IS Southern California, in a gated community. We don't expect that stuff. In Oregon, I don't get trick or treaters. Maybe I should consider this more next year...

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old November 5, 2011, 06:24 PM   #31
wayneinFL

Quote:
In 1958? I went trick or treating as a soldier and was elated to be allowed to carry my uncle's real life GI 1911 as part of my costume.

In 1968 I attended my girlfriends senior prom,,,
It had a cowboy/cowgirl theme that year,,,
I was wearing my Colt Frontier Scout,,,
My girlfriend wore a Ruger (I think).
Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong day and age.
Old November 5, 2011, 07:13 PM   #32
9mm

Quote:
Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong day and age.

How many mass shootings were there back then? and how many today because people arn't allowed to bring guns to schools? Gun free zone = criminals dont have to worry about other people stopping them with a gun..
Old November 5, 2011, 09:47 PM   #33
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
How many mass shootings were there back then? and how many today because people arn't allowed to bring guns to schools? Gun free zone = criminals dont have to worry about other people stopping them with a gun..
Actually, there were quite a few. Lynchings were also much more common then as well. Funny how selective memory and social delineations dull the mind to realizing what was really going on in the past. However, we didn't have the media networking that we have today. The local news posted a story on a family of bobcats in a development just south of me and a friend in Nevada called to ask if I had seen them.