The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 15, 1999, 11:29 PM   #1
stjames

My warmest greetings to Mr. Nolden and all involved. I was sent here in search of some answers and am hoping that some of you will be able to help me.

My wife’s father was a hunter before he passed away some years ago, and with her mothers recent departure she has become the executor of their Trust. Part of the inheritance is four shotguns that her father owned, and she has to ascertain their value as part of the estate. We are planning on taking the guns to some local shops for an assessment, but we were wondering if anyone could tell us about the background of any of them, and perhaps an estimate of value.

Here is the information that my wife got off of the guns on her last trip:
[list type=1]<LI>Winchester 22, model 270

<LI>Remington 870 express magnum 12 gauge pump action

<LI>Winchester repeating arms model 240W, Western filled 12 gauge (23/4 in.)

<LI>Made in Spain, Mo5E Seguro Victor
Brasqueta Ibar (stamp from Sufting Gun shop, 2317 J St. sacto, stamped into wood on butt of gun)[/list]
We have no plans to sell these heirlooms, but she has a brother and sister that are more interested in liquid assets than preserving their heritage. We want to get a fair assessment so that we can buy out their interest in the guns if possible, and any additional information about them would be greatly appreciated for interest sakes. Even if they are just common pieces, it is nice to know those little things about what was left behind.

Thanks for the help, and my best regards.

------------------
James
Old September 16, 1999, 10:01 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

The Winchester Model 270 came in several variations; checkered pistol grip stock, plastic stock and with select wood Monte Carlo stock. Lists anvwhere from $20 up $95 with 22 WMR versions going for about a $5 premiun.

The Remington 870 Express is the version with 28" vent rib barrel with Rem choke (originally supplied with Moderate choke), parkerized metal, matte finished hardwood stock and forearm, solid recoil pad. Priced from $223 to $125.

As to the Western Field shotgun, I can find nothing in my reference materials to ths model. I can only find Model numbers of 100, 150, 170, 172, 175, 550. Is this a semi-auto, bolt or pump action. I can find no reference under the Western Auto brand to a model number of 240 either, but that doesn't mean much as they were continually changing model numbers as suppliers changed.

As to the last weapon, I would need more information. Is it a handgun, shotgun, rifle? Type of action? Caliber markings? etc.

The dollar amounts were taken from the ninth edition of the Blue Book. This is not the most current edition and these prices are undoubtedly a bit low. I would look for these prices to be low by $5 to $ 10 dollars more than likely.
Old September 16, 1999, 11:21 AM   #3
stjames

Harley, thanks for the information thus far. The fourth gun is a shotdun, I will try and get more specs this weekend. Thanks for the help thus far.

------------------
James