matthew temkin

Dave Spaulding on WW2 Combat Methods

http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/t...TOPIC_ID=16029

dspaulding
Average Member

USA
409 Posts

Posted - November 02 2008 : 6:38:48 PM Show Profile Reply with Quote
I personally trained my son-in-law for his Ohio CCW permit and we were in my garage cleaning our guns when my Dad stopped in. He is a WWII veteran of Iwo Jima and I had no idea until recently what he went through. Naturally the discussion moved to weapons and tactics and my father started to show my son-in-law some of the WWII Combatives techniques that he was taught in boot camp. His recall of what he had learned was nothing short of amazing! He told my son-in-law "Remember Less Is More...don't do what you don't have to... its just a waste of time and effort." I stood there, once again, and looked at my 81 year old father with amazement and awe!

What he did was once again remind me that we need to keep things simple and that advanced tactics really are the basics mastered. It is really easy to get all wrapped up in all of the Ninja crap that is floating around, but I doubt that any of these new age SWAT/CQB/XYZ/Ninja masters will be able to remember what they currently profess to be cutting edge 60 years from now, let alone demonstrate same!

I for one will stand aside and let all of these new age wonders expound on this new gun, that new piece of gear or this new tactic/technique which was founded deep within the belly of some super secret unit that can't be talked about. This stuff is not for me! There are only so many ways to shoot a gun or throw a punch and they have all been invented. If you want to learn something new, read an old book. FWIW...

GLV

USA
7587 Posts

Posted - November 02 2008 : 7:23:24 PM Show Profile Send GLV an ICQ Message Send GLV a Yahoo! Message Reply with Quote
Old November 3, 2008, 09:04 AM   #2
mes228

Less

This is so true. And it's true in most everything.
Old November 3, 2008, 10:06 AM   #3
detroit9mm

I attended an advance combatives seminar recently where Dave Spaulding was the main presenter. He is excellent. He believes in what he calls the SIG principle (simple is good) and all of his methods and techniques line up with this criteria. His methodology lines up well with my way of thinking. He is an excellent presenter and communicator that mixes humor with real life experience. If you have a chance to train with him do it, you will not regret it!
Old November 3, 2008, 10:28 AM   #4
kraigwy

All so true, remember KISS

Keep it simple stupid

The topic I posted yesterday THE MORE THINGS CHANGE, THE MORE THEY REMAIN THE SAME addresses this issue perfectly.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 3, 2008, 12:36 PM   #5
BikerRN

Having spent years shooting Weaver I'm trying to unlearn what I learned at the Range and go back to "basics".

Simple Is Good! I was talking with a retired Customs Firearms Instructor and we compared one of my "incidents" with his. It seems that eventhough we both shot Weaver, when the fecal matter hit the rotating thingie we were in Isocoles.

I like Mr. Spaulding's writing and look forward to reading him almost as much as Mr. Ayoob. I learn something from each one, and they present their material in a clear manner that is easy for this "not the sharpest pencil in the drawer" country boy to understand.

Biker
Old November 3, 2008, 01:15 PM   #6
New_Pollution1086

what would a good beginners book to read??

i have no firearms training whatsoever

T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old November 3, 2008, 06:10 PM   #7
raimius

A retired Green Beret colonel recently said, "FOCUS ON THE MAIN THING.....THE MAIN THING IS THE MAIN THING.....do so in life, do so in games and you'll walk away a winner every time."
Old November 3, 2008, 06:33 PM   #8
Maximus856

My platoon is the only group in our battalion that are grunts, so we were tasked with teaching room clearing to the rest of the battalion before our deployment.

I was teaching basics with my sgt. who has multple combat tours. We were teaching a small group, when another sgt. came along to throw in his two cents. This is the same one who has every peice of unneccesary gear. Our groups were doing a great job till he came around and decided to show everyone cool ninja moves and telling us we were wrong.. We then had people tripping over each other, and getting 'notionally' smoke checked.

Go figure huh? Also, during simunition training, its no surprise that basic trained infantry students can effectively 'close with and destroy' the enemy...which just so happens to be instructors with combat experience.

-Max
Old November 3, 2008, 07:07 PM   #9
HorseSoldier

Personally, much of my respect for WW2 veterans is actually because they went on the battlefield and won despite the generally inadequate and poor training they received before going in harm's way. (The lessons learned by those who survived their initial experiences on the battlefield are another story, of course, but it's unfortunate the learning curve had to be as steep as it was . . .)
Old November 4, 2008, 08:55 AM   #10
detroit9mm

what would a good beginners book to read??

i have no firearms training whatsoever

T

Dave Spaulding's book "Handgun Combatives" is a very good book to read. Also, Ayoob's "In the Gravest Extreme" has been must read for years for anyone who carries a gun. I would suggest you read and view as much material as possible. Get training from several different qualified instructors if possible and then use what makes sense to you and works best for you. I have found this to be the best way to get a well rounded skillset. Keep it simple and avoid all the fancy current ninja techniques, they will go out the window under stress IMO. Also, you MUST PRACTICE what you learn to make it automatic.