The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2008, 10:11 AM   #1
salvadore

Hi pressure .38s

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

That being said, has anyone used Skeeter's load of 13.5 gr. of 2400 under a 358156 bullet in .38 cases? In .357s and heavy .38s revolvers of course.
Old March 4, 2008, 10:23 AM   #2
Rampant_Colt

That's the old 38-44 loading...
I have a 1955 Gun Digest with some information about that i'll post up later
Old March 4, 2008, 12:22 PM   #3
zxcvbob

I've used 12 grains (maybe it was 12.5, it's been a while) of 2400 with 158 grain RNFP bullets in .38 SPL cases before in a Marlin rifle.

This summer I'm gonna work up some good .38-44 rifle loads using a 158 wide flat-nosed bullet that I bought a mold for. Will probably use Accurate 4100 powder or Alliant 2400.
Old March 4, 2008, 10:29 PM   #4
crowbeaner

YUPPER. I've shot hundreds if them, and they didn't shoot all that well in the 2 Pythons I tried them in, but they shot fine in a Ruger Security Six and several Smiths. Use newish brass, trim your cases to get the same crimp, and crimp firmly in the upper crimp groove. Try to expand the case mouths only enough to seat the bullet without shaving, as neck tension helps the 2400 burn a little cleaner. They DO leave unburned powder in the gun so check the extractor star to be sure none of the granules gets underneath. Velocity will vary with the gun, but mine clocked right around 1200 fps. in a 6 inch barrel. My old 5 inch M27s loved them. They weren't quite as accurate as loads using the 357 cases, but that may have to do with the long case trueing up the round in the chamber better at the time of ignition. BE SURE that you keep them seperate from all other ammo as shooting them in a small or lightweight 38 could be hazardous to the phizzog in the mirror.
Old March 13, 2008, 02:57 PM   #5
Paul B.

If you go to http://proguns.proboards92.com/index.cgi, take a look at some of the load work up on hot loading the .38 SPL. on that site.
Regarding Skeeter's old load, I used to shoot it in an S&W Outdoorsman (Pre-number) I killed a Black Bear with that load back in 1959.
I haven't tried it in standard .38 handguns though. The guys on the above mentioned site do shoot some very hot loads with apparently no problem.
Paul B.