The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 23, 2014, 05:59 PM   #1
eastbank

tristar TT-09 momo trap any good?

a friends son wants to start shooting trap this year and has used my BT-100 for several rounds and likes it, but he doesn,t have the money for a good trap shotgun at this time. his father and i have been looking a the tristar TT-09 trap as a starter shotgun for him,it has several things he likes and it,s 500-550 dollars on the net. does anyone know any good-bad things i could pass along to his father? thanks eastbank.
Old March 24, 2014, 10:02 AM   #2
oletymer

Tri Star has already dropped it from their line. The problem with these low volume low cost guns is parts will be non existent very quickly.
Old March 24, 2014, 11:33 AM   #3
Jimbo-Indy

As an alternative, look at the Stoger Condor Competition. I've been using one for the last 3 years. Has an adjustable comb so you can adjust to fit and two barrels let you try doubles.
To be honest, I did have a couple of quality control problems at first but I was able to fix them myself. Got mine at Dick's Sporting Goods during a sale, they had to order it but for $610 out the door it's done well for me. A good used BT99 might be better, but the Stoger is better than sitting at home.
Old March 24, 2014, 12:45 PM   #4
eastbank

thanks,i will tell his father to pass on the tt-09, i think we will look for a used bt-99 on line as i saw quite a few listed. maybe we can help him out a little on the cost if we find a good one. eastbank.
Old March 24, 2014, 02:45 PM   #5
BigJimP

A used Browning Citori XT Trap ....I think is a better option

...... especially if he may want to try some "doubles" or "Continental Trap" where you can fire a 2nd shell at a bird if you miss .... ..or "Bunker Trap" down the road...

I prefer my Citori XT Trap with 32" barrels....over my BT-100 ....

You said "son" ...and the son may be 40 yrs old, I don't know .....if this is a first gun / or a first dedicated Trap gun ...or what it is....( not that it matters when it comes to selecting a gun that fits him )....
Old March 24, 2014, 04:02 PM   #6
eastbank

brad is in his mid 30,s i think and he is a hunter, but he,s to the point now where he has a little spare time and came with his dad to the trap range with his dad. his dad thinks he will come and shoot more often if he has his own clay games shotgun.i agree a good O/U maybe a better option,i will talk it over with his father. thanks eastbank.