The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 30, 2013, 08:05 PM   #1
JKilbreth

How much NuFinish?

So I'm using crushed walnut media, mineral spirits, and NuFinish to clean my brass now. Worked great on the first 250 .45ACP cases and 400 .40S&W cases, but now, as I'm going through my thousands on 9mm cases, I've noticed the cleaning level starting to wane.

I use a capful of NuFinish, and a capful of mineral spirits every time I change out brass, tumble for about 3-4 hours, and now I've noticed by walnut media has gone from a light wooden color to a dark tobacco color.

My questions are:
1. Am I supposed to add more NuFinish and mineral spirits every time I put more brass in to be cleaned? Or,
2. Is my walnut media just getting old?

So what do pros like y'all do?
Old December 30, 2013, 08:14 PM   #2
wabashman

There's no way going 'bad' yet. But you can tumble it with some cut up dryer sheets and it will pull some of the darkness out of it. And you might be adding to much nufinish as well.
Old December 30, 2013, 08:28 PM   #3
jcwit

One single capful of Nu-Finish will last for many, many tumblings. No need to add with each tumbling. In fact it will hinder.
Old December 30, 2013, 09:46 PM   #4
JKilbreth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
One single capful of Nu-Finish will last for many, many tumblings. No need to add with each tumbling. In fact it will hinder.

I think you're right just got done tumbling about 350 cases in my Frankford Arsenal tumbler for about 4.5 hours and the cases are almost moist:/
Old December 31, 2013, 02:06 PM   #5
CrustyFN

What jcwit said. I use one half cap full maybe less.
Old December 31, 2013, 03:55 PM   #6

When I replaced my Midway tumbler with a Frankford Arsenal I added new corn cob media treated with 2 capfuls of Nu Finish to get it started. I added 1 capful until I felt the media was well treated, so now, it's just a capful periodically. Rather than over-treat the media once you think you've added enough, just tumble your cases a little longer. Rather than continually treating my media, I go out and start cases in the evening/night and let them polish overnight. They'll come out as clean/bright as you need them.