The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 13, 2013, 11:47 AM   #26
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Your experience is very unfortunate. It makes me wonder if Heritage was really ready to jump on the 9-shot bandwagon. I'm old-fashioned enough that the concept behind building a 9-shot six-shooter completely defies logic. And I think enough companies (including Heritage) have been building six shooters long enough to pretty much have gotten it right.

I hope they make it right for you. It ain't rocket science. Heck, my first handgun was a German-made .22LR (not convertible) six shooter that cost me a whopping $25 ... new. It never, ever missed a beat. Sadly, it disappeared during a move some years back and I was bummed out for a good long while when I realized it had gone walkabout.
Old May 13, 2013, 12:33 PM   #27
osbornk

My 6 shot RR has been flawless. Wonder if the "new" 9 shot has an issue?
Old May 13, 2013, 04:54 PM   #28
newfrontier45

When you're blasting with .22's, more is better. It might be heavy but my USFA 12/22 is NOT for sale.
Old May 13, 2013, 08:32 PM   #29
Wild-Bill

I have no problems with the Taurus 94. I liked the look of the gun and it will do DA. It now has wood grips and looks good.
They say hind sight is 20/20 and they are right. The "shoulda" has bit me. I went with the 9 shot because it had the fiber sights. Brand new gun and now two bad cylinders so far.
I have emailed Heritage twice, last thurs and fri, and have yet to get a response. I will email again tonight.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:33 PM   #30
dnsharpshooter

man that sucks. i have a 6 shot RR and its been great
Old May 14, 2013, 06:53 PM   #31
Wild-Bill

As the old saying goes, "if you want something done right you have to do it yourself".
The second bad cylinder from Heritage. This one had a point on the star wheel damaged, more than likely from manufacturing handling. Luckily it was not that bad and I was able to use a jewelers file and smooth out the point. The whole star wheel was a little rough from manufacturing so I cleaned it up with some effort. The "hand" would catch on this point and stick there until you uncocked and rotated the cyl by hand. They say it was test fired 18 times. That tells me that they fired twice with the cylinder not locked in and the chamber not aligned with the barrel.
The RR now locks and cocks and does not jam. I have not test fired it yet. Will do so friday. I expect no problems.
I have lost all faith in Heritage warranty repair after my RR went to them twice and was returned not functioning properly both times. Both times it was a cylinder problem. Gun was new Mar 11, 2013.
I now suffer from the "shoulda bought" syndrome.
Happy Trails Pardners
Old May 26, 2013, 09:37 PM   #32
Wild-Bill

As if anybody really cares about a Heritage Rough Rider.
After the fiasco I just went thru with Heritage warranty repair with a brand new gun and they couldn't get it right after two trips to Miami, the gun now operates perfectly after I fixed it. Two defective cylinders, the last one fixable. It now cocks, locks tight and fires on all 9. And seems to be pretty accurate. I ran four cylinders full with out a hitch.
It is a good feeling to have a working SA revolver regardless of manufacture.

Last edited by Wild-Bill; May 28, 2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:44 PM   #33
Tad_T

I'm glad you got it fixed, Bill. I was hoping that you would. It's too bad that you had to do it.

I have had good luck with all three of my Rough Riders. I hope that you can enjoy yours now.
Old May 27, 2013, 11:16 PM   #34
Wild-Bill

Thanks Tad.
I'm glad I got it fixed and have the "cowboy gun". I don't need to brag about the manufacturer of a gun, I just need it to shoot good and my Heritage does do that now.