The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 23, 2013, 06:45 PM   #1
pnolans

pellets in side lock gun...won't fire .. how to get bullet out

So, I'm one of the new guys on the block.

I went out this morning, 2nd time ever. I had my Lyman deerstalker percussion cap rifle.

I without any malice aforethought put 2 pellets of Hodgon down the barrel, and then a Powerbelt 295 bullet.

Put a #11 cap on , aimed, pulled the trigger. The cap "fired", no boom otherwise. Put another cap on. Again. same thing.

So, I did a little target practice with my 9mm pistol , and then came home.

THEN I read the manual and see that pellets are not recommended because of their ignition issues.
So, yes, I'm the dumbass. I tried to remove the bullet using a bullet puller, but can't get it started on the bullet. It has a pointed end, so I'm not terribly surprised.

Should I go find one of those CO2 gizmo's? Or is there another solution?

as always, thanks in advance for any help. you folks have been really helpful... hope I don't wear you out.

Pat
Old January 23, 2013, 07:00 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

CO2 is the way to go. Be sure it's pointed in a safe direction with sufficient backstop to keep it from embedding itself into something the wife doesn't want destroyed. Plenty of old phone books are ideal.
Old January 23, 2013, 07:01 PM   #3
deerslayer303

Remove the nipple and pour a little FFFg or equivalent down the hole, then install the nipple, cap it and fire it. I should light off those pellets. Thats how I removed a stuck cleaning jag one time.
Old January 23, 2013, 07:19 PM   #4
Rigmarol

I agree with removing the nipple and adding fine powder under your pellets.

Cheaper than the CO2 device and you won't have the device bouncing around your range bag for the next 20 years... because we all know you ain't ever going to do that again right?... LOL.

Actually, the CO2 device can make you the hero when you pull it out to help a fellow shooter.
Old January 23, 2013, 07:45 PM   #5
pnolans

You guys are so helpful! Thanks.
Old January 23, 2013, 08:02 PM   #6
robhof

robhof

If you have a compressor with a tank and it will hold 100psi you can hook up a blower nozzle and a short section of thick hose that'll fit snug over the nipple and blow it out that way, use same precautions as mentioned above for co2.
Old January 23, 2013, 08:42 PM   #7
B.L.E.

Quote:
Remove the nipple and pour a little FFFg or equivalent down the hole, then install the nipple, cap it and fire it. I should light off those pellets. Thats how I removed a stuck cleaning jag one time.
I have also used that method to blow out a ball that was rammed down without a powder charge under it.
And it will happen to you eventually, usually while someone is talking to you while you are shooting.
Old January 23, 2013, 09:25 PM   #8
bedbugbilly

For shame, for shame B.L.E. . . . you dry balled your rifle?!

I just can't imagine anybody doing that . . . forgetting to put powder in first.

Don't feel alone . . . like you say, sooner or later it will happen and usually when someone bothers you during the loading process . . . you're in good company though . . . a lot of us are "card carrying members" of that club!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 23, 2013, 09:52 PM   #9
B.L.E.

I reckon that the number of times I double loaded makes up for my dry balls.

I also missed my share of clay birds because I forgot the shot, usually because someone was talking to me at the loading table.
Old January 23, 2013, 10:03 PM   #10
North East Redneck

I've removed the screw on the drum and added powder to remove a stuck jag before. Never did find that nice brass jag..... Still, the comp air method works well. Try that first.
Old January 23, 2013, 10:09 PM   #11
deerslayer303

NER,

I never found my nice jag either I didn't think it would go that far, heck I didn't even see it fly out of the barrel, it was bookin with that tiny bit of powder I poured in the nipple hole. Hey thats an Idea, when they ban lead I'll start shooting patched cleaning jags Hey they DO have the lube grooves and everything. haha
Old January 23, 2013, 10:40 PM   #12
North East Redneck

DS,
There you go, we can replace lead with cleaning jags. And you are right, they have those nice grooves in em.
Yup, mine found a new home on the forest floor, nice and comfy with all them dead leaves for it to hide under.
Old January 24, 2013, 09:35 AM   #13
pnolans

Got it!!!!

So, I thought some more about this problem, and put on my "workbench/mechanic" hat. I had a rod with a threaded screw on the bottom. AKA a bullet puller.

I put my gun on the floor, standing up, next to my workbench, wrapped the barrel in some cloth, and secured it with a vise. Then using two hands, pushing down on the rod and turning with the other hand, I got the "bullet puller" to start onto the bullet. Then I just pulled it out.

If that hadn't of worked, I would have put the ramrod into a cordless screwdriver and then pushed with both hands.

I felt silly, because I wasn't thinking mechanically. Just as a newbie MZL-nut.

So, it also turned out that I had only put one pellet in , and it was NOT black side down!!!! DUH!

So, now i'm good. But thanks for all of the ideas... I will use them in the future, I'm sure.

Pat

Last edited by pnolans; January 24, 2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old January 24, 2013, 07:19 PM   #14
jspappap

WOW again

Im even newer than you and find it terribly fascinating the myriad of way people recommend to fix our screw ups.

NOT LAUGHING AT YOU BUT LAUGHING WITH YOU
Old January 24, 2013, 08:00 PM   #15
deerslayer303

I'm glad you got the charge a bullet out! You took away all the fun of BLASTING IT OUT!!!
Old January 24, 2013, 08:17 PM   #16
pnolans

I'm quite certain the opportunity will come around again!!!!

"DUMP HICKENLOOPER".. my soon to come bumper sticker.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:42 AM   #17
shortwave

Quote:
So, yes, I'm the dumbass.
Far as getting bullets stuck in BP'S , we've all had that same dumbass attack. Some of us more then once or 4-5 times.

As a rule, PowerBelts load very easily. In turn, they will usually unload very easily requiring very little Co2 or compressed air pressure.

Wait till you get one of those over-sized conicals stuck down there that you had to drive home with a mallet. You will more then likely break your ball puller and have to end up using one of the above suggested methods. Either removing the nipple or breach and priming, using your Co2 or an air compressor to shoot the bullet and ball puller out.

FWIW, if you're ever shooting PRB and load a very tight load minus powder, if load won't blow out with Co2 or air compressor pour some solvent or soapy water down the bbl to soak patch and load will remove easier.
Old January 25, 2013, 10:58 AM   #18
Sure Shot Mc Gee

If ever unable to remove a stuck projectile by attempted pulling or air chuck. There is another method. Change out your nipple with a small straight grease fitting use in automotive purposes. Pump grease into your barrel with the use of an Plews automotive grease gun. The hydraulic action will move many stacked over charges. I push a barrel for a friend once with grease that had 4 charges and projectiles built up in it and left many years in that condition. The penance you pay for using grease is cleaning the barrel itself which you can do by hand or blow out with air. Otherwise that little CO-2 gizmo thingy usually works most of the time in the field or at home to remove a mistaken charge or two. If putting rifle into long time storage. A barrel pumped full of grease is the best one can do to keep rust at a minimum or nonexistent in a bore.
Old January 25, 2013, 11:43 AM   #19
Pahoo

Old-Dogs learning new tricks

Quote:
4V50 Gary CO2 is the way to go.
For the most, I am Old-School and if you have been at this long enough, you will have your share of Dry-Balls. Boy, that doesn't read well. Anyway, I always took some satisfasction in pulling all projectiles with the good old screw jag. Years ago, I bought a TC Co2 pusher but still didn't use it. Then I was faced with a stuck range-rod. There was a dry patch on the end and two of us, could not pull it out. We soaked the bore with good ol #13 and an hour later, we pushed it out with the Co2 pusher and what a breeze it was. I will still pull a dry-ball to prove a point but mostly go to the pusher. I also use the pusher to initially clear a vent as oppose to popping a cap. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 5, 2013, 06:22 PM   #20
pnolans

Well, I got a bullet stuck again. I actually bent the bullet-puller screw trying to get it to start on the bullet.

So, when I get a chance (I'm at work till 8pm MST) my next try will be the Air compressor and the air.

But I'm really intrigued by Sureshot's idea about using a grease gun. Clearly I'll have many opportunities to try them all.

I'm pretty sure I didn't forget powder or anything. I tried 3 caps. I was at a public range with a hovering RSO , so I didn't get too creative... like using FFFG. Which I now carry with me, btw.

Boy, this is fun. It's freakin aggravating, but it's still fun. And the community here is such that I don't mind poking fun at myself!!!

DUH!

Old February 5, 2013, 08:26 PM   #21
maillemaker

I tried my air compressor with 150 PSI and it did not work. But then I did not go get some rubber tubing to get a good seal - I just tried to put my deadman up against the nipple.

The CO2 thing is awesome.

Just put a shop rag over the end of the barrel - it will slow down the bullet and stop it from flying very far.

Steve
Old February 5, 2013, 08:32 PM   #22
deerslayer303

Did you go and put ANOTHER pellet in that sidelock? I'm tellin ya just remove the nipple pour some FFFg down the hole, install the nipple, cap, and KABOOM no more problem, it doesn't hurt a thing.
Old February 5, 2013, 10:14 PM   #23
WCW

I also experimented with pyrodex pellets in a T/C Renegade, but used a five grain charge of FF black powder as a 'starter' for the pellets. That worked great, and never had any problems with ignition. The rifle preferred loose black powder with the maxi-balls I was using, so gave up on the pellets.
Old February 5, 2013, 10:42 PM   #24
DD4lifeusmc

stuck pellets

You have several options the others have given
A ball puller. PITA
or co2 or even compressed air, just make sure it is pointing in a safe direction.
Depending on the nipple, drum / bolster setup.
I've had to do this a couple times with bad loads. In the field.
Carefully remove the vent cleanout screw. dribble a couple (2) grains of fffg or ffffg in the
hole. replace screw carefully (no sparks allowed) cap it aim in safe direction.
The cap will ignite the bp the bp will ignite the pellets.
This is provided the nipple isn't clogged.
Old February 6, 2013, 05:33 PM   #25
pnolans

Quote:
Did you go and put ANOTHER pellet in that sidelock? I'm tellin ya just remove the nipple pour some FFFg down the hole, install the nipple, cap, and KABOOM no more problem, it doesn't hurt a thing.
YEP! I went and done done it again! hahahah. But this time I didn't use pellets.
My first round fired. So, I didn't clean it properly or something. After the first round.

I'm going over to a friend's house in the morning, and we should have some fun with the Air Compressor.
I might even video it and then post it on YouTube.
New nominees for the Darwin Award.
If that doesn't work, Friday morning I'll go out to the Natl Forest and use the FFFG.

Last edited by pnolans; February 6, 2013 at 05:55 PM.