The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 3, 2012, 01:07 AM   #1
md123180

E Data Book App

Sorry that this is my first post, but I've got something on my mind...

So I've been competing for a couple years now, and I've got a bunch of data books laying around... Then I thought... What if I could use my phone/tablet for my data book? Perfectly legal per CMP/NRA rules... (So long as it's not playing music) What if it had weapon data, load data, and a ballistics calculator built into it?

I'm looking into doing this very thing right now, but I need some info from you guys... One, what do you think of this? Would you be interested in seeing this app in the market? Two, what would you want to see if you could build this yourself?

The only reason I'm following this up is because it's something that I want to see on the range. I've used database apps, and realize that they have a lot to offer, if only less boxes of data books in my storage...

Thanks!
Old April 4, 2012, 03:01 PM   #2
4EVERM-14

Sounds like a good idea. I know of other shooters using Blackberry type units but don't know what their programs contain. I don't use electronics myself only because I'm to old to learn. Data and score books still work fine for my needs. Shooters would need the same info found in data books along with ways to access any other rifles they may use. Being able to have all of the info for all of your guns at hand would be very useful.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old April 4, 2012, 07:06 PM   #3
kraigwy

I've been shooting high power for about 35 years. I'm a big fan of ther requirement of using data (score) books.

The keep a record of round count, zero changes, conditions at different ranges across the country, on and on.

In my 35 years I've shot in rain, snow, hot and cold. Personally I wouldn't trust an electronic device for recording data. Batteries go south, dust and rain aint good for such devices. Paper and pencil work in all conditions.

When shooting its easier with a pencil to mark the calls, shot placements, etc without getting out of position. Not sure that can be done with electronic devices.

In addition, I coached the AK NG Rifle team. It was a requirement that my shooters kept score books, and record everything posible. I furnished the score books to keep everyone on the same sheet of music. I just don't see electronic devices working.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071