The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 25, 2012, 03:09 AM   #1
Sigsomers

Mossberg Flexgun

Has anyone had a chance to fire this model? If so, thoughts? How are the locking mech on the interchangable parts?

Sig Somers
Old March 26, 2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Smitty in CT

This was just announced this year @ Shot Show...

My guess is, it will be several months before the distributors see them, then another month or so before they are in gun stores....

I don't think this will be an easy "sell" for the local gun stores....

Currently, you're local shop will have maybe 1 or 2 Mossberg stocks and maybe one forearm in stock. In order to be able to "demonstrate" the advantages of the "FLEX" system, they're going to have to carry more than one of the FLEX stocks & a couple of the FLEX forearms... You're asking the gun stores to carry parts that nobody has asked for....

I can see some of the national "chains" like Dick's, Cabelas, Gander, etc. carrying these but for the local shop, it's a big nut to swallow....

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old March 26, 2012, 12:21 PM   #3
the rifleer

I don't see any difference from the mossberg 500, other than you can change the stock quickly.
Old March 26, 2012, 01:29 PM   #4
Smitty in CT

The FLEX uses the same receiver, it just has a metal adapter screwed into where the stock attaches.... then you lift and twist a lock mechanism to remove one stock and then add another..

The forearm is similar but you have a "button" to push to change out the forearm...

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old March 26, 2012, 06:59 PM   #5
johnwilliamson062

I see them phasing out the old system over time, but this isn't a big enough advantage many are going to run out and buy them. Most shotgunners who want multiple shotguns want multiple guns. You can't really take an HD gun, change the stock and make it a great trap gun for instance.
Old March 26, 2012, 07:16 PM   #6
g.willikers

And what's so hard about unscrewing the stock the old fashioned way, if it needs changing?
Old March 27, 2012, 02:37 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

Well, in theory, if the guns is pulling double duty, a lot.

When i shot trap 3 times a week my 11-87 was also my HD gun for a while. I almost always kept it in trap configuration b/c switching it 3 times a week was a pain, plus the bolts probably aren't designed to be removed that much. This would be much easier.

Now I have a shotgun for each so what do I care, but it might influence me if I was on the brink of buying a second gun.

Tags
mossberg , new convert , shot gun