The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 24, 2010, 09:53 PM   #1
NorCal Hal

Long range targets

I shoot on a BLM area in northern cal-e-fonia where the ground is hard and mostly rock. Driving a steel stake in is a chore. I normally shoot and sight in at 200 yards but want to try 300, 400 and 500.

I now haul cardboard boxes with the neon glo 10-12" paste on targets out and place a few of the plentiful rocks in the box to hold it upright.

I was thinking of shooting balloons or gallon jugs at the extended ranges but haven't come up with a suitable holder or frame. What kind of targets, devices have you found that can be set up, stay up in some wind and are easily removed.

Keep in mind BLM frowns on driving down range / cross country so whatever I come up with must be man (old man) portable.

Thanks
Old November 26, 2010, 05:13 PM   #2
bigautomatic

I made up a portable setup for hanging steel targets from three 8ft 2x4s, and a set of cheap sawhorse brackets from Lowes. The brackets are spring loaded so the "spine" of the horse is simply clamped in, and the legs insert from the bottom. I cut two of the boards in half so I have four 4ft legs, and the third board is left at 8ft and acts as the spine to hang the targets from. The whole deal is pretty light with the exception of the steel targets. I haul the entire setup down range in a cheap plastic wheelbarrow in one trip. May be better ideas out there, but this one works for me. (If your' gonna shoot steel, make sure to read up on the correct way to hang them for safe shooting).
Old November 27, 2010, 03:13 PM   #3
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

8' steel t-post cut and welded for the frame and scrap steel plate for targets. I use steel cable to hang the targets. Ocassionally break the cable, but easy to fix. Good luck!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~