The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 9, 2010, 11:46 AM   #1
Balog

So let's say I want a SxS...

Let's further say I want it in 12ga with double triggers, internal hammers, and ejectors. It should be able to handle modern slug and buck without problems, and would ideally have =< 24" barrels, although that's not an absolute requirement. Budget... Let's just say $500 or less (used, obviously) with less being better. Appearance means nothing: I hate engraving, will probably have the stock cut down and a recoil pad installed, and have it refinished in Duracoat (or Krylon ).

I've been looking at some of the Spanish imports, specifically AyA's. I've also heard rumours some of the older Savage/Stevens/Fox guns had ejectors?

This is for HD, so let me go ahead and request that if your only input is "But pumps holds moar shells so they're better hurr hurr derp" that you kindly keep it to yourself. I don't go pee in "What pump for HD" threads and say "But they only hold 5-9 rounds, if you don't get a Saiga you're doomed!!!" so try to restrain yourself.
Old February 9, 2010, 12:45 PM   #2
Doyle

Slugs and double barreled guns don't often go together well. It's all about something called "regulation". No, not the law. Regulation is the way the barrels are joined together so that the point of impact from both barrels meets at a common place. Barrels that are properly regulated (i.e. normally high dollars) have the point of aim and point of impact of both barrels join at somewhere between 30 and 40 yds. Less properly regulated barrels might never have a common point of aim and impact. Their shot strings could actually get farther apart as you get further away from the barrel.

With shot, having a regulation problem isn't always a big deal. However, with slugs, poor regulation has a huge difference in where that slug actually goes downrange. The two barrels may shoot slugs to really different points of impact.
Old February 9, 2010, 12:46 PM   #3
zippy13

I think you'll find that ejectors may be model specific. A gun makers entry level model may have double triggers with no ejectors and the top of the line will have a single selective trigger with auto ejectors.
Old February 9, 2010, 12:50 PM   #4
GrandmasterB

Look for a Stevens or Savage 311. You could get one and get the barrels cut down and still be within your budget.
Old February 9, 2010, 01:11 PM   #5
Balog

GrandmasterB: so the old 311's did have ejector versions?

Doyle: I'm familiar with the concept. I don't actually plan on shooting slugs per se, I just want to know the action and barrels would handle it if I did.
Old February 9, 2010, 02:06 PM   #6
oneounceload

The 311's cousin - the Savage/Fox BSE had ejectors - I have one in 20 with 26" barrels. Never shot slugs out of it (and have no intention of doing so) so I cannot answer as to how well, (or long), it will do that
Old February 9, 2010, 02:11 PM   #7
GrandmasterB

Sorry about that -- most of the 311's were basic working guns with extractors. I think you will have to go up to one of the Savage/Fox guns to get ejectors, and the price and engraving will increase accordingly.
Old February 9, 2010, 02:33 PM   #8
oneounceload

Mine is plain, and I have seen them running about 5-600 on the on-line sites. Mine has a vent rib, so altering length will be a little trickier
Old February 10, 2010, 07:00 PM   #9
OkieCruffler

From time to time you'll find a 311 with ejectors, I've seen 2 out of the hundreds I've examined. I have one 12 with the chambers so slick honed that the shells just fly out with a quick shake. Not as fast as ejectors, but still pretty decent.
Old February 10, 2010, 07:44 PM   #10
Balog

Think is, I grew up shooting a single shot 12 with an ejector, and I got pretty fast with the reloads. I just lack the confidence in extractors, honed or no. A personal thing.
Old February 10, 2010, 09:14 PM   #11
OkieCruffler

No doubt their faster, wouldn't mind having a set on my main huntng gun, especially during dove season. But I'm also old and fat, I hate bending over to pick up shells.
Old February 11, 2010, 12:22 PM   #12
Balog

Is there an advantage to honing the chambers on an ejector gun?
Old February 11, 2010, 02:54 PM   #13
zippy13

Balog wrote:
Is there an advantage to honing the chambers on an ejector gun?
Only if your suffering some roughness and drag-- if it ain't borke, don't fix it. There are reports of R-870 Expresses having rough chambers and difficult extraction. Polishing the chamber seems to remedy the problem.